Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Samuelsson pins SC loss on Burrows

The Canucks goal to turn Vancouver into a destination city where free agents want to come and players feel comfortable, even treated well, has had mixed results over the past few years.

You can add Mikael Samuelsson to the side of players who haven’t been exactly swept off their feet by the Canucks.

In an interview with HockeySverige.se, an online only publication, Samuelsson took some parting shots at the Canucks management (he loved most of his teammates) some nine months after being traded to Florida.

”I didn’t think very highly of management, so in that way I didn’t mind,” Samuelsson said of the trade.

Why is not clear, but he did cite more rehab time as being one of the reasons he thought the trade worked out well for him.

“Disappointed is not the right word,” Samuelsson said. “But I liked it a lot in Vancouver. I had a pretty significant injury my second season in Vancouver when I tore my (abductor tendon) in my groin. The rehab was going well and I felt good in camp, but when the season was about to start the leg didn’t work.

“Looking back at it now, it might have been good to be traded, I got extra time to rehab and come back fully fit. I liked it a lot in Florida, but it was tough leaving the Sedins, Edler and the other guys up in Vancouver.”

Samuelsson also revisited the Stanley Cup final and pinned blame for the loss on Alex Burrows.

“Me myself was in the press box during those games, but it probably wasn’t very good that Burrows bit Patrice Bergeron in the finger in the first game,” Samuelsson said. “

“After that, Boston was angry. You might say that was the wrong team to fire up. They play a very physical game and I thought it would’ve been better to let the bear sleep, if you know what I mean.”
    http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/07...me-on-burrows/

Sammy's always good for a candid interview.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    I don't think it's all Burrows fault obviously, but Burrows definitely lowered the bar. The series went downhill pretty fast. It was NOT memorable hockey IMO.

I have a problem with the rat behaviour from both Kesler and Burrows. When they lose that **** for good they will be better players for it.

vCash
    You're making this sound worse than it is. I'm not a fan of Sammy, but he has a point. Getting into that kind of match-up with Boston is asking for trouble. Boston's grittiness in the top nine is probably second to none.

For the record, I'm not a Sammy fan. I wasn't happy with the signing. I don't find him to be a leader, which funny enough, you and I got into this argument a few months ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    You're making this sound worse than it is. I'm not a fan of Sammy, but he has a point. Getting into that kind of match-up with Boston is asking for trouble. Boston's grittiness in the top nine is probably second to none.

For the record, I'm not a Sammy fan. I wasn't happy with the signing. I don't find him to be a leader, which funny enough, you and I got into this argument a few months ago.
    Who did? I don't remember anything about that.

vCash
    Gotta give Samuelsson some credit, he speaks his mind. That finger-biting incident was a disgrace and embarrassing for the Canucks and their fans. The same way it was when Burrows pulled the hair of one of the Hawks players in a tussle in the playoffs a year prior. Those two incidents, plus the occasional diving of Burrows and Kesler (to get a call) infuriates me.

Of course, can't blame Burrows for us losing in the SCF, there were a lot of other variables (injuries, too much travel, the poor reffing, having a tougher road to the SCF than Boston, etc) And let's face it, Thomas was amazing, wheras Lu wasn't.

Who knows what would've happened if Burrows didn't chomp down on Bergeron's finger. Would the Canucks have won the Cup? I doubt it. Our compete level was written all over Daniel's face when he allowed Marchand to continuously punch him in the head, without fighting back.

vCash
    The OP has a really interesting way of reading things. Too bad it isn't based in reality. Sam doesn't blame Burr at all. He thinks that incident woke up the bear.

Yeah right. That does not mean Burr caused a loss. If the Bruins needed that to wake them up then there's something wrong. One would think being in the Finals was enough to be going at 100%.

Bruins would have changed their tactics regardless if they kept losing. That's obvious. Any team down will make adjustments. They played thug hockey and won the Cup. The refs let it all go. You can't blame the Bruins for the officiating - they won within the 'rules' of the game, so to speak.

I liked Sam but it seems he has taken too many shots to the head. Having said that, there is no that article reads him blaming Burr to the Cup loss.

vCash

Samuelsson pins SC loss on Burrows

^ Everyone I've heard comment on this has concluded the same thing as the OP, radio, TV, everyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Who did? I don't remember anything about that.
    sfgiants and I in the past. It was during this season I believe.

I was pissed to see Samuelsson return. I'm still not happy.

vCash

Sammy's under-rated. I don't think people appreciate what an intelligent player can bring to a team.

Anyway, back to this topic, I hope Burrows doesn't just dismiss this comment because it's the only thing that makes him mediocre -- his stupid antics. If the Canucks want to be tough, so be it, but enough of this chirpy crap.

vCash
    Sammy's under-rated. I don't think people appreciate what an intelligent player can bring to a team.

Anyway, back to this topic, I hope Burrows doesn't just dismiss this comment because it's the only thing that makes him mediocre -- his stupid antics. If the Canucks want to be tough, so be it, but enough of this chirpy crap.
    Also incredibly lazy...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carson005 View Post
    Also incredibly lazy...
    What, when he was injured?? idk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurtin' M's Fan View Post
    The OP has a really interesting way of reading things. Too bad it isn't based in reality. Sam doesn't blame Burr at all. He thinks that incident woke up the bear.

Yeah right. That does not mean Burr caused a loss. If the Bruins needed that to wake them up then there's something wrong. One would think being in the Finals was enough to be going at 100%.

Bruins would have changed their tactics regardless if they kept losing. That's obvious. Any team down will make adjustments. They played thug hockey and won the Cup. The refs let it all go. You can't blame the Bruins for the officiating - they won within the 'rules' of the game, so to speak.

I liked Sam but it seems he has taken too many shots to the head. Having said that, there is no that article reads him blaming Burr to the Cup loss.
    Not sure why you're taking a shot at me, but I took the province's headline except i changed 'blame' to 'loss.' They're synonymous IMO.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash

I vaguely remember that.

<3

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by carson005 View Post
    Also incredibly lazy...
    I'm with carson here for sure. I don't think Sammy is an intelligent player at all. You really don't know how happy I was when Sammy was gone, and how unhappy I was when Sammy was gone.

We put him on the point on powerplays. He wouldn't set anything up. He'd take a slap shot from the far point with no traffic. Nothing, obviously. On 5 on 3's, instead of playing close he'd seriously be at the blue line taking the crappiest shots with no lanes.

He'd show his frustration nightly. He'd take absolute dumb penalties. These penalties he'd take away from the play. Todd Bertuzzi does that. We do not need Sammy doing the same.

His skating is average. He isn't a good passer. His defensive game is bogus. He's inconsistent. He's lazy. I don't want this man back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    Not sure why you're taking a shot at me, but I took the province's headline except i changed 'blame' to 'loss.' They're synonymous IMO.
    Not really taking a shot at you.

May not have been the best headline for the article. I think the Province will sensationalize what it can to draw readers. Sometimes it is pretty irresponsible journalism. Kinda sad. We're better than that, people! Come on now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast