Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    LA has no incentive to trade him. If they dont get their price they will just keep him for 1 more year.

I seriously though NJD would be all over this when i heard he wanted out, but then they resigned their 80-year old tandem. I wonder if a deal can still be worked out with Hedberg being sent the other way to back up Quick. Obviously it would be more then hedberg but what makes it tougher is that NJD has only 1 first round pick to play with.

Which then leads me to Kovi. lol. I think it's only a matter of time the NHL takes control of that team, and i bet the first thing they'll do is move him.
    They do have incentive, plenty actually. When a guy comes out publicly during the off-season asking for a trade you'd better deal him. Do you really want a headache next season if you're Lombardi? You just won the cup and can improve even more by dealing him. It's much the same for Vancouver, there's absolutely no way I keep Luongo after all this has come out publicly. You can't have that distraction when you're going for a cup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    They do have incentive, plenty actually. When a guy comes out publicly during the off-season asking for a trade you'd better deal him. Do you really want a headache next season if you're Lombardi? You just won the cup and can improve even more by dealing him. It's much the same for Vancouver, there's absolutely no way I keep Luongo after all this has come out publicly. You can't have that distraction when you're going for a cup.
    Luo and Schnieder are different. Bernier is not breaking the door down to be a #1 goalie, so LA doesn't have to move him. Why are teams going to give something of value now when they just heard that Bernier is demanding out? If teams wouldn't give up value when he first asked for the trade (rumoured to be before the deadline) then why would they give anything now? more importantly, what makes LA feel like they need to trade him? distractions? cmon they have enough of those and Sutter will keep him in his place.

On top of that Bernier is an RFA when his deal is up, so he is likely there for 2 more years if LA wants him there. Lomabardi isn't an idiot, bringing Bernier up slowly will only increase his value and now with the trade request it could be at a low-point. Playing behind quick for a season or two benefits both sides, but Bernier has too big an ego. Bernier seems to think he deserves a starting spot because he is highly touted.
    Leaf fans at the start of every new season...

We've been through tough times, man.

vCash
    This is one of the best threads ever in this forum.

vCash
    Luo and Schnieder are different. Bernier is not breaking the door down to be a #1 goalie, so LA doesn't have to move him. Why are teams going to give something of value now when they just heard that Bernier is demanding out? If teams wouldn't give up value when he first asked for the trade (rumoured to be before the deadline) then why would they give anything now? more importantly, what makes LA feel like they need to trade him? distractions? cmon they have enough of those and Sutter will keep him in his place.

On top of that Bernier is an RFA when his deal is up, so he is likely there for 2 more years if LA wants him there. Lomabardi isn't an idiot, bringing Bernier up slowly will only increase his value and now with the trade request it could be at a low-point. Playing behind quick for a season or two benefits both sides, but Bernier has too big an ego. Bernier seems to think he deserves a starting spot because he is highly touted.
    The reason teams will trade something for him now and not at the deadline is that the situation is completely different then that of the deadline. Teams situations also change, players get traded, GM's fired and new ones hired. Having an offseason to think about and reflect on the regular season and playoffs can be a HUGE difference. ANyway, I'm sure there will be teams bidding on him and i'm sure there's a great chance he is moved. However, I don't think the Leafs will even submit a bid, and if they did, it better be a low ball. Anyway, I also don't think leaving Bernier there will benefit him or the team. He will get a couple starts here and there and it will be nothing more then that as I'm sure Quick won't be happy giving up many starts after signing the deal he just did.

vCash
    Quick can't play 70+ every season. 16 games is enough to show what he can do (thats how many he played this season) and still has developing to do. A guy who requests a trade away from a championship team and who hasn't proven much isn't exactly all that attractive as it raises some flags. All because he can't see himself "playing behind quick".

vCash
    Quick can't play 70+ every season. 16 games is enough to show what he can do (thats how many he played this season) and still has developing to do. A guy who requests a trade away from a championship team and who hasn't proven much isn't exactly all that attractive as it raises some flags. All because he can't see himself "playing behind quick".
    I don't think that will prove all that much as he will more then likely be playing against weak teams. As far as red flags, can you really fault the guy for being wanting to play for another team when the team locked up his competition for 10 years?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeafsFan16 View Post
    I don't think that will prove all that much as he will more then likely be playing against weak teams. As far as red flags, can you really fault the guy for being wanting to play for another team when the team locked up his competition for 10 years?
    Schneider did it. And thats what i think Lombardi wants to do with Berneir. I wouldn't be suprised if Bernier was dealt but it won't be because Lombardi feels pressure to deal him. Rumours was that CBJ wanted no part of him in the Carter deal, they only wanted Johnson. Tbay has their own version of Bernier, so what team will take a chance on him? I would love to see the Leafs get him and then have FLA say they will go with markstom for the future. Then Luo will be stuck in VAN

vCash
    Schneider did it. And thats what i think Lombardi wants to do with Berneir. I wouldn't be suprised if Bernier was dealt but it won't be because Lombardi feels pressure to deal him. Rumours was that CBJ wanted no part of him in the Carter deal, they only wanted Johnson. Tbay has their own version of Bernier, so what team will take a chance on him? I would love to see the Leafs get him and then have FLA say they will go with markstom for the future. Then Luo will be stuck in VAN
    Haha, I also would love to see Van stuck with Luongo.

vCash
    ^
    I think that would be pretty hilarious too. I'm not a Mike Gillis fan so any headaches he may get give me amusement.

vCash

Luo and Schneider are the same not because Bernier is knocking on the door, I compared them because both guys came out publicly and asked to be dealt. At that point your hands are tied as a GM. There is absolutely no way you can then bring those players back. No way. Teams aren't going to overpay for Bernier but they will give up something decent for a young goalie who's got potential.

It doesn't raise red flags, he's a backup who's capable of starting. I don't blame a guy one bit when the number one gets a 10 year deal and you're a capable goalie. If we brought in Luongo, would you blame Reimer for wanting a trade?

vCash
    Luo and Schneider are the same not because Bernier is knocking on the door, I compared them because both guys came out publicly and asked to be dealt.
    Them both asking for trades is similar but their situation is different. Luo is a number 1 goalie that has been pushed aside by a younger goalie. Bernier is all potential right now, his numbers aren't spectacular and i wouldn't say he's a starter yet.

If we brought in Luongo, would you blame Reimer for wanting a trade?
    I could care less if he asked for a trade. But lets say i did....
    Yes i would. Reimer has proven a little bit more then Bernier has but he isn't a #1 goalie.

This is whats wrong with this league. Players demand 10 year contracts and demand trades when they don't get there way.

Reimer and Bernier have proven very little. For them to demand trades because they feel their pathway to the starting job is blocked doesn't really get me excited about their work ethic or their commitment to improve. They should do their talking on the ice. Lombardi has already said Bernier will get his time (likely to be around 20 games).
    Last edited by OptiMized; 07-13-2012 at 05:04 PM.

vCash
    Is it a demand or simply asking for a trade? There is a difference. One is hostile, another is simply a request.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tito Santana View Post
    Is it a demand or simply asking for a trade? There is a difference. One is hostile, another is simply a request.
    I agree with that. Although my main problem with it is that Bernier said he "couldn't see himself playing behind Quick next year". I have no problem with his "cockiness" in his game, i love that he thinks of himself as a starter but he has to go out and prove it on the ice. And in that system his numbers the last two years aren't that spectacular. Not to mention i have major concerns with small goalies. Thats why Lindback was my first choice over Bernier.

vCash
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with a guy stuck behind a 10 year contract, which clearly means he's going anyways at some point, wanting a trade. I don't blame him at all, anyone here would have done the same thing.

vCash
    I dont know if I want Bernier. Not suggesting that he doesnt have upside but do we really want another hopeful. I mean we just went through the Raycroft, Toskola, Reimer era. Would really like to have a goalie with a.proven track record...IMHO

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast