Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B BURKE View Post
    Getzlaf had a down yr last yr. he also is a ufa next summer, where he plans to cash in. Getzlaf still has alot to offer, and with the ducks looking to add depth, look for Getz to be moved. Burke wants Getzlaf, and would give up major assets.
    He will want a Parise like contract...Burke has made it clear he has no interest in those contracts so unless the CBA changes, dont hold your breath.

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    He will want a Parise like contract...Burke has made it clear he has no interest in those contracts so unless the CBA changes, dont hold your breath.
    I know you are a Burke supporter, but if the CBA doesn't change these contracts the Leafs will aways miss out on any qualiy UFA with Burke in charge. At some point he has to put his pride in his pocket and do his job.

vCash
    As much as i want a player like Parise, the length of that contract is insane. The way to build is by drafting. You dont have to tank to get great prospects. Parise,Getzlaf,Giroux etc...none were top selections.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    As much as i want a player like Parise, the length of that contract is insane. The way to build is by drafting. You dont have to tank to get great prospects. Parise,Getzlaf,Giroux etc...none were top selections.
    For every player drafted where Parise, Getzlaf and Giroux were there are way more busts than elite talent. A team is more likely to select a franchise leader in the top 5 than in the mid teens and beyond. Scouting has changed and teams aren't finding Datzyuk's and Zetterberg's in the late rounds anymore. Undrated players like Andy Mconald have gone the way of the Dodo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    I know you are a Burke supporter, but if the CBA doesn't change these contracts the Leafs will aways miss out on any qualiy UFA with Burke in charge. At some point he has to put his pride in his pocket and do his job.
    Not just that... every decent future RFA the Leafs have is free to be poached and any 27 year old UFA will likely be gone, if he will not do these kinds of deals. I don't get where Burke thinks this moral high ground is going to get him aside from left behind. His plan is becoming a little clearer (cap room for 2013), but we're likely in for another crap year before any potential big changes. Even with the money, Toronto doesn't seem to have the same draw as it used to. The last decade has done some pretty significant damage to the Leafs reputation amongst players and future NHLers alike.

vCash
    For every player drafted where Parise, Getzlaf and Giroux were there are way more busts than elite talent. A team is more likely to select a franchise leader in the top 5 than in the mid teens and beyond. Scouting has changed and teams aren't finding Datzyuk's and Zetterberg's in the late rounds anymore. Undrated players like Andy Mconald have gone the way of the Dodo.
    Yeah, you're absolutely right.... top players are almost guaranteed not to bust in this league.

Ask Alexander Svitov, or Rick DiPietro, or Patrik Stefan, or Alexandre Daigle, or Chris Phillips, or Vitaly Vishnevsky, or Andrei Zyuzin, or Oleg Tverdovsky, or Cam Barker, or Aki Berg, or Scott Thornton, or Alexandre Volchkov, or Nikolai Zherdev, or Stanislav Chistov, or Raffi Torres, or..... maybe I've made my point.

ALL these guys were top picks and had superstar careers.... thank God you cleared that up for us. Any more less-than-stellar comments to be made?

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post
    Yeah, you're absolutely right.... top players are almost guaranteed not to bust in this league.

Ask Alexander Svitov, or Rick DiPietro, or Patrik Stefan, or Alexandre Daigle, or Chris Phillips, or Vitaly Vishnevsky, or Andrei Zyuzin, or Oleg Tverdovsky, or Cam Barker, or Aki Berg, or Scott Thornton, or Alexandre Volchkov, or Nikolai Zherdev, or Stanislav Chistov, or Raffi Torres, or..... maybe I've made my point.

ALL these guys were top picks and had superstar careers.... thank God you cleared that up for us. Any more less-than-stellar comments to be made?
    I see you forgot to read the part where I said scouting has changed over the years...that was my whole point...not nearly as many top picks are busts any more

vCash
    I see you forgot to read the part where I said scouting has changed over the years...that was my whole point...not nearly as many top picks are busts any more
    I knew you'd reply with "oh it's different now".... please....

If you think there won't be busts in the top 5 picks going forward you are completely delusional.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    I knew you'd reply with "oh it's different now".... please....

If you think there won't be busts in the top 5 picks going forward you are completely delusional.
    sure some of the players will be busts...just not as many as there used to be...teams are investing more money in scouting to prevent this from happening...so yes, it is diferent now

vCash

I remember him when he played for the Barrie Colts. Great player with all the tools but just couldn't stick around. I wonder what happened to him??

vCash

When using a comma, the excessive use of "or" isn't required lol. On another note, I agree with your list, although I wouldn't call Phillips a bust, the guy was a good player.

Legendary

vCash
    Hahaha I love when somebody tells Lavy off. Makes me feel less of a crazy person when I do it.

Out of all those players yes they were busts but Phillips turned out fine. But other than him I agree. And BTW Scouting isn't an excuse lmaooo how is that a reasonable excuse? Scouting has changed over the years um.... ok. So has my height but that's another topic.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke2 View Post
    Hahaha I love when somebody tells Lavy off. Makes me feel less of a crazy person when I do it.

Out of all those players yes they were busts but Phillips turned out fine. But other than him I agree. And BTW Scouting isn't an excuse lmaooo how is that a reasonable excuse? Scouting has changed over the years um.... ok. So has my height but that's another topic.
    You are a complete moron if you really believe this. Teams have invested a ton of money into scouting to prevent drating players like Patrik Stefan first overall. You don't agree with me. Look up ho much money the Leafs invested in scouting that draft and compare that to how much they had in the previus one. How big is Burke's front office? Why do you think the Red Wings are so good at drafting? They had the most money invested in scoting out of the whole NHL until recently.

vCash
    You are a complete moron if you really believe this. Teams have invested a ton of money into scouting to prevent drating players like Patrik Stefan first overall. You don't agree with me. Look up ho much money the Leafs invested in scouting that draft and compare that to how much they had in the previus one. How big is Burke's front office? Why do you think the Red Wings are so good at drafting? They had the most money invested in scoting out of the whole NHL until recently.
    Yeah.... just like the Jays in Toronto with all their scouting in the draft.

Sorry for my late reply, I was in Toronto doing up the parade route for all the world series championships they're bringing home due to "good drafting".

Hard to believe we're even arguing this to be honest. In EVERY sport the draft is a crap shoot, no matter how much money or scouting you invest in. I'm not saying you can't make educated guesses but don't come here and tell me that because you spend more money in drafting you wont have to worry about busting on a top draft pick. Honestly, you're a moron if you believe the bold and think no one 1st overall will ever bust again.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    Yeah.... just like the Jays in Toronto with all their scouting in the draft.

Sorry for my late reply, I was in Toronto doing up the parade route for all the world series championships they're bringing home due to "good drafting".

Hard to believe we're even arguing this to be honest. In EVERY sport the draft is a crap shoot, no matter how much money or scouting you invest in. I'm not saying you can't make educated guesses but don't come here and tell me that because you spend more money in drafting you wont have to worry about busting on a top draft pick. Honestly, you're a moron if you believe the bold and think no one 1st overall will ever bust again.
    Two things here...you can't compare the MLB draft and NHL draft...not the same...7 rounds compared to 50 plus rounds...250 players drafted compared to thousands...the first overall pick is less likely to turn out to be a Patrik Stefan because scouting has changed. Teams are investing a lot more money in scouting therefore gaining more knowledge on players and therefore lessening the chances the top picks will be a bust. Here is a list of the last 10 players taken first overall (left out Yakki because he hasn't played in the NHL yet)

Kovalchuk
    Nash
    Fleury
    Ovechkin
    Crosby
    Johnson
    Kane
    Stamkos
    Tavares
    Hall
    Nugent-Hopkins

I see nothing but franchise players there. I think all the scouting staffs have done a great job. I won't argue the fact that there is a possibility that a top pick could turn out to be Alexandre Daigle because there is a remote chance it could happen. The chances of that happening are a lot slimmer with all the money invested in scouting, the draft combine and player interviews. How many teams bring sports psycholigists to the player interviews now? This is a business investment and the teams are doing their best to ensure their investment isn't a bust.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast