Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

FA's if the season is lost...

If the season is cancelled.. here would be the notable free agents come 2013... who do you feel we would make a PLAY and ATTEMPT TO SIGN?

Center Ryan Getzlaf and right winger Corey Perry, Anaheim Ducks;
    Right winger Nathan Horton, Boston Bruins;
    Defenseman Robyn Regehr, Buffalo Sabres;
    Right winger Jarome Iginla, Calgary Flames;
    Right winger Alexander Semin, Carolina Hurricanes;
    Left winger Brenden Morrow, Dallas Stars;
    Goalie Jimmy Howard and center Valtteri Filppula, Detroit Red Wings;
    Defenseman Ryan Whitney, Edmonton Oilers;
    Goaltender Niklas Backstrom, Minnesota Wild;
    Centers Travis Zajac and Patrik Elias, New Jersey Devils;
    Defenseman Mark Streit New York Islanders;
    Defenseman Sergei Gonchar, Ottawa Senators;
    Defenseman Kimmo Timonen, Philadelphia Flyers;
    Goaltender Mike Smith, Phoenix Coyotes;
    Left winger Ryane Clowe, San Jose Sharks;
    Left winger Joffrey Lupul, Toronto Maple Leafs;
    Defenseman Alexander Edler, Vancouver Canucks;
    Center Mike Ribeiro, Washington Capitals.

i say we attempt to sign a COUPLE of these guys..
    perry getz clowe morrow edler

thoughts??

vCash
    JvR/Getz/Perry
    Lupul/Grabo/Kessel
    Kuli/Bozak/kadri
    Brown/Steckel/Komarov

Colborne+Frattin maybe traded for a tendy
    Depending on salary cap that would be a scary team

vCash
    Getzlaf,Backstrom and Zajac would without question be at the top of my list. Perry would be too but he'd be less of a need. Not sure if Lupul would come back if Perry and a center were signed. Also, why would we need Edler? you know how much money we have tied up in the backend no to mention maybe the third most prospect depth back there as well? If we were to sign any D it would a shutdown type like a Regehr.

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    I'd have Nathan Horton on my list as a second line center after targeting the big fish legit 1st liners. Imagine the Getzlaf-Horton 1-2 combo

vCash
    I'm gonna day dream because there's nothing else hockey going on.

I'd love to get Perry and Zajac. Zajac will come a bit cheaper than Getzlaf and we can use the money elsewhere. Then I'd like Regehr. He'd take a huge load off of Phaneufs shoulders because he's a true shutdown D man something Dion isn't. We have everybody coming off of the books at the end of this season except Kessel, Grabo, Kulemin, Mike Brown, JVR and McClement I believe. That's one way money on the forward end. Phaneuf, Komisarek, Liles are all still on the books as in nets is Reimer. Little bit of change to target Smith or Backstrom left over to use.

Still alot of guys to resign. Alot. It depends on the CBA obviously and if guys will want to come here. Contract restrictions are going to tighten obviously and that may help us land big fish in the FA pool because our Top Gun won't do these backend deals that are going to be done away with and thankfully so. There's a ton of guys that could help in that FA pool. Maybe the best I've ever seen if infact there ends up being no season. You'd like to think we could land atleast one top guy.

vCash
    In order: Perry(a league MVP), Getz, Mike Smith (give up nothing but money for an immediate goaltending upgrade-and a local boy), Edler, Morrow (less term than Clowe and more experience), Timmonen. I'd let Lupul walk and use the 5M towards one or a few of the above.

vCash
    If Komi could somehow be unloaded then we'd have no bad contracts. A lock out would also help our draft slot I believe.

Things will always work out in the end, but if you want them to turn out a certain way... You need to make it happen.

vCash
    I've said before that i'd rather Zajac then Getzlaf. I think Getz is going to get a fat contract whereas Zajac will get a lesser deal but still be an upgrade for us if healthy.

Clowe or Morrow would be good too.

IIRC we will have ~$28 M to spend and only have Lupul, Gunnar, Kadri, Holzer and Franson as quality players we need to resign (IMO). Only Lupul and MAYBE gunnar would get more than $2M /year. If we are unable to upgrade the net through trade and Reimer doesn't improve i'd take a look at smith too. I think we could use Edler but unless Liles or Komi is traded i don't think it would be a good idea if that much money is on the blue line.

Next offseason (if we have one) will be tricky because we have to think ahead to 2014's offseason. Kessel and Phanuef will need extensions, but if you ask me i think they will end up swapping cap hits.

JVR - Zajac - Kessel
    Lupul - Grabo - Kadri (Hopefully, we need his playmaking/passing up here)
    Kulemin - McClement - Morrow/Clowe
    Brown - ??? - Komarov

On D (other than Edler) i would take a shot on Kimmo Timmonen. Solid Dman and would come with a short-term (in case Gardiner/Reilly REALLY light the league on fire). Last and only option would be Ian White.

Phanuef - Timmonen/ White (for 1 or 2 years until our D talent develops)
    Liles - Gardiner
    Gunnar - Komi

Nothing really impresses me in net. Backstrom and Smith would be cool but i'm not overly excited about them.

Reimer
    Scrivens
    Leaf fans at the start of every new season...

We've been through tough times, man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    Getzlaf,Backstrom and Zajac would without question be at the top of my list. Perry would be too but he'd be less of a need. Not sure if Lupul would come back if Perry and a center were signed. Also, why would we need Edler? you know how much money we have tied up in the backend no to mention maybe the third most prospect depth back there as well? If we were to sign any D it would a shutdown type like a Regehr.
    Because he instantly becomes our best defenseman. He's a complete player too. Why do we care about the cap? Sign the best players that are willing to sign here, and done's done. It's my opinion that the entire reason for this franchises failure over the years has been over analysis. Sign and draft the best players available, at whatever the cost, and sort the details out later (ie. Philly, NY).

vCash
    Also, Perry being "less of a need" isn't true. We need a young, recent, league MVP on this team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJamesNaismith View Post
    Because he instantly becomes our best defenseman. He's a complete player too. Why do we care about the cap? Sign the best players that are willing to sign here, and done's done. It's my opinion that the entire reason for this franchises failure over the years has been over analysis. Sign and draft the best players available, at whatever the cost, and sort the details out later (ie. Philly, NY).
    Saying he'd instantly be our best dman is a pretty big assumption. Lets remember, we have Phaneuf.Gardiner.Rielly. Edler is a good dman, I'm not debating this and I'm not saying the 3 I mentioned are better but in a years time, Phaneuf will be going into his prime, Gardiner has continued to excel in the AHL, Rielly has dominated the WHL...I just don't see the need to again spend more money on the backend when we have so much invested in it already. We aren't talking about a Norris trophy winner here. The system is stocked with dmen, seems redundant. The real needs are between the pipes and down the middle. There are plenty of dmen on the roster and in the system IMO, wouldn't make sense to invest big time in another blue liner unless it was a massive upgrade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJamesNaismith View Post
    i have to agree... edler right now is better than defensemen on the leafs including phaneuf... gardiner rielly dont count at all... gardiner will never hit..and no one will be scared to go into a corner with gardiner... rielly isnt even in the A yet... his name shouldnt even be included.

edler is a complete player... he hits the net with a canon of a shot.. hits bodies... can skate... can take the puck up the ice and can pass...

imo id rather have edler getting 5 to 6 million than phaneuf getting 6.5

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by savio vega View Post
    i have to agree... edler right now is better than defensemen on the leafs including phaneuf... gardiner rielly dont count at all... gardiner will never hit..and no one will be scared to go into a corner with gardiner... rielly isnt even in the A yet... his name shouldnt even be included.

edler is a complete player... he hits the net with a canon of a shot.. hits bodies... can skate... can take the puck up the ice and can pass...

imo id rather have edler getting 5 to 6 million than phaneuf getting 6.5
    What was that Swedish defensemens name? he played on Detroit I think? he didn't hit much but was known as an elite defender. He won some cups and a few Norris' I think too...If only I could remember hmmmm

vCash
    What was that Swedish defensemens name? he Peak ed on Detroit I think? he didn't hit much but was known as an elite defender. He won some cups and a few Norris' I think too...If only I could remember hmmmm
    Don't Think You Can Compare A Jake Gardiner To This Defensemen You Speak Of...Gardiner HAs Holes And Tons Of Stuff To Work on... LidstRom Won Cups And Trophies Later On In His career..

vCash
    Saying he'd instantly be our best dman is a pretty big assumption. Lets remember, we have Phaneuf.Gardiner.Rielly. Edler is a good dman, I'm not debating this and I'm not saying the 3 I mentioned are better but in a years time, Phaneuf will be going into his prime, Gardiner has continued to excel in the AHL, Rielly has dominated the WHL...I just don't see the need to again spend more money on the backend when we have so much invested in it already. We aren't talking about a Norris trophy winner here. The system is stocked with dmen, seems redundant. The real needs are between the pipes and down the middle. There are plenty of dmen on the roster and in the system IMO, wouldn't make sense to invest big time in another blue liner unless it was a massive upgrade.
    I don't think that's a huge assumption to make. There's a few guys we pay similarly, but I don't think too many guys "in the know" would speculate whether or not Edler is a better d-man than Phaneuff, Gardiner, or Reilly (to this point). I COMPLETELY agree that investing huge dollars on the back end seems risky, as, all we know of this technique is miserable failure... but this in an exception... not just the best d-man UFA but likely one of the better players period, in free agency. The guy is 26-27 (the age we should be looking at for our core players), you can basically pencil him in for 40 points per season, plays in all situations, and is a heavy plus player. Playing in the east (and especially on Toronto), I think he would be a consistent guy mentioned in Norris discussion. All of this said, I don't see any way Vancouver would let a guy like this go. Again, if the problem is; we have too many $'s alotted to the Defense in our current payroll... get rid of the guys that earn high dollars and do little or who skills are replaceable. Don't not sign a great player because you screwed up in the past. Liles has value (and not a bad contract) but his skill set is replaceable (ie Gardiner), Trade him for a pick(s) or prospect(s). I think Komi is up after this year (too lazy to look it up), so his contract (expiring) is likely a little more moveable than it was a year ago (ei to a team looking to get to the cap floor in a hurry).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast