Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    vCash
    Something I thought was interesting, or at least caught my eye, but did they only showed the “tale of the tape” for 2 fights? The reason I say this is because the two times I noticed it, two fighters had a 81 (Dom Waters) and 80 (Neil Magny) reach advantage over their opponents. Waters especially took advantage of that reach and made quick work of his opponent. If either guy can use that reach like Jones and not like Sruve, they will be tough to beat.

Judging by the first episode I think Waters, Alvey, Ricci and Diffley are the favorites to make it to the semis. Alvey showed crazy power, Diffley’s BJJ is the best in the house probably and with his experience as a coach, that could play to his advantage. Ricci has that quiet demeanor, kind of reminded me of Lauzon. Someone you think couldn’t hurt a fly, but once they’re in the octagon, everything changes.

Overall, the show was ok, same formula as years past (except for the last season), which could either be a positive or a negative, (if you go by the ratings, it’s a negative) but this brings me to a few thoughts about the series as a whole.

The UFC needs to focus more on finding good talent and less focus on casting obnoxious personalities like the red Mohawk guy (going by the previews, it looks like he has a few breakdowns). I don’t know who makes the final decision on who gets casted or not (from what I read I think the network has a huge say, at least that was when they were with Spike), but a guy who is 17-15 shouldn’t even be consider as a contestant. The whole point of the show is to find the next big thing and I think is safe to say that with a record like that, he’s not it.

Right now, TUF gets 2nd to 3rd tier fighters on the show while the 1st tier talent gets signed to a contract right away. Maybe the UFC doesn’t want to risk another company like Bellator beating them to the punch and signing them, but the UFC has to find a way to get that 1st tier talent on TUF. As it stands now, the UFC has signed better talent through free agency, than they have by TUF and if TUF is going to work, it should work the other way around.

Fighters like Hendricks, Pierce, Story, Hathaway and Ellenberger all made their UFC debut in 2009, that same year we had TUF US vs UK. Imagine if just 3 of those 5 fighters had been part of the show? Instead of having one of the weakest fighter lineups in all of the seasons of TUF, we would have had one of the strongest. Instead of Wilks vs DeMarques finals, we could’ve had a Hathaway vs Hendricks.

A lot has to do with timing and maybe those fighters couldn’t be part of the show or maybe they just didn’t want to be in it, but that’s when the UFC should step up and try to change their mind. They did a season of HW just to get Kimbo on the show (ratings, I know), but imagine if over the past few seasons fighters like Rory, M. McDonald, Oliveira, Hendricks, Gunnar, E. Siva or even Jones had been part of TUF? I realize that some of those fighters don’t speak English, but so what? They’re there to fight, not to make fools of themselves on TV.

Finally, I think for the next season of TUF we’ll some changes, I think the UFC will get its wish of moving it to a better night. I’m thinking Wednesday nights again, but it won’t be on FX, it will be on Fuel TV. I know what you’re thinking, nobody has Fuel TV, but that will change. I remember reading some time ago that Fuel’s contract with some of the cable/satellite companies was up sometime at the end of this year (I think it was October). I also read that FOX wants to increase its baseball coverage. How does this affect the UFC? If FOX gets the a bigger baseball package, it means that FUEL TV will be turn into a sports channel like ESPN and if that’s the case, you can bet more cable/satellite providers will want to carry Fuel TV.
    -----

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockturnal View Post
    Something I thought was interesting, or at least caught my eye, but did they only showed the “tale of the tape” for 2 fights? The reason I say this is because the two times I noticed it, two fighters had a 81 (Dom Waters) and 80 (Neil Magny) reach advantage over their opponents. Waters especially took advantage of that reach and made quick work of his opponent. If either guy can use that reach like Jones and not like Sruve, they will be tough to beat.

Judging by the first episode I think Waters, Alvey, Ricci and Diffley are the favorites to make it to the semis. Alvey showed crazy power, Diffley’s BJJ is the best in the house probably and with his experience as a coach, that could play to his advantage. Ricci has that quiet demeanor, kind of reminded me of Lauzon. Someone you think couldn’t hurt a fly, but once they’re in the octagon, everything changes.

Overall, the show was ok, same formula as years past (except for the last season), which could either be a positive or a negative, (if you go by the ratings, it’s a negative) but this brings me to a few thoughts about the series as a whole.

The UFC needs to focus more on finding good talent and less focus on casting obnoxious personalities like the red Mohawk guy (going by the previews, it looks like he has a few breakdowns). I don’t know who makes the final decision on who gets casted or not (from what I read I think the network has a huge say, at least that was when they were with Spike), but a guy who is 17-15 shouldn’t even be consider as a contestant. The whole point of the show is to find the next big thing and I think is safe to say that with a record like that, he’s not it.

Right now, TUF gets 2nd to 3rd tier fighters on the show while the 1st tier talent gets signed to a contract right away. Maybe the UFC doesn’t want to risk another company like Bellator beating them to the punch and signing them, but the UFC has to find a way to get that 1st tier talent on TUF. As it stands now, the UFC has signed better talent through free agency, than they have by TUF and if TUF is going to work, it should work the other way around.

Fighters like Hendricks, Pierce, Story, Hathaway and Ellenberger all made their UFC debut in 2009, that same year we had TUF US vs UK. Imagine if just 3 of those 5 fighters had been part of the show? Instead of having one of the weakest fighter lineups in all of the seasons of TUF, we would have had one of the strongest. Instead of Wilks vs DeMarques finals, we could’ve had a Hathaway vs Hendricks.

A lot has to do with timing and maybe those fighters couldn’t be part of the show or maybe they just didn’t want to be in it, but that’s when the UFC should step up and try to change their mind. They did a season of HW just to get Kimbo on the show (ratings, I know), but imagine if over the past few seasons fighters like Rory, M. McDonald, Oliveira, Hendricks, Gunnar, E. Siva or even Jones had been part of TUF? I realize that some of those fighters don’t speak English, but so what? They’re there to fight, not to make fools of themselves on TV.

Finally, I think for the next season of TUF we’ll some changes, I think the UFC will get its wish of moving it to a better night. I’m thinking Wednesday nights again, but it won’t be on FX, it will be on Fuel TV. I know what you’re thinking, nobody has Fuel TV, but that will change. I remember reading some time ago that Fuel’s contract with some of the cable/satellite companies was up sometime at the end of this year (I think it was October). I also read that FOX wants to increase its baseball coverage. How does this affect the UFC? If FOX gets the a bigger baseball package, it means that FUEL TV will be turn into a sports channel like ESPN and if that’s the case, you can bet more cable/satellite providers will want to carry Fuel TV.
    Nik Lentz
    Mike Pierce
    Jacob Volkmann
    Ben Henderson
    Tyron Woodley

All tried out for TUF 9: UK vs USA

That season was set up for the UK to win. End of story.

I'm 99% certain we see changes and possibly in the middle of the season. Because from the looks the ratings are gonna be horrible this year. They are already as low for the premiere as they were at the lowest point last year....

vCash
    Because its a reality show they do have to look for personalities and controversy. For example if one fighter is like 8-0 and he's really good and the other is 7-0 not as good, but is bound to draw controversy, has a mohawk or w/e, then he's definitely going to get picked over the 8-0 guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zn23 View Post
    Because its a reality show they do have to look for personalities and controversy. For example if one fighter is like 8-0 and he's really good and the other is 7-0 not as good, but is bound to draw controversy, has a mohawk or w/e, then he's definitely going to get picked over the 8-0 guy.
    But I do agree with what he is saying about guys that are like 21-19 and stuff like that they don't belong on the show. If you have had over 30 pro fights and have lost half of them before even getting to the UFC odds are you aren't gonna cut it....

vCash
    Do another ****ing comeback season already!!!
    FAV FIGHTERS- HW-Struve-JDS-D.Cormier LHW-Gustafsson -Ovince St. Preux Machida MW-Kenndey-D.Miller-Chris WeidmanWW-Condit-Rory MacDonald-Kampmann-Douglas Lima-Marquardt LW-Penn-Edgar-Jim Miller-Joe Lauzon-FW-Jung Patricio Freire BW-Torres-Dantas- Faber-Fly-Benavidez

vCash
    Another comeback season would be great, but it would be tough to do. Can u think of 2 weight classes of 8 or one class of 16 that A.) Have all been in the UFC B.) Are still active C.) Not tied up in a contract with another organization? Might be worth a thread to see if we can even come up with one that's possible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalRampage View Post
    Another comeback season would be great, but it would be tough to do. Can u think of 2 weight classes of 8 or one class of 16 that A.) Have all been in the UFC B.) Are still active C.) Not tied up in a contract with another organization? Might be worth a thread to see if we can even come up with one that's possible.
    Ill try to make a good list.

LHW SEASON.
    1. Thales Leites
    2. Anthony Johnson
    3. Gilbert Yvel
    4. Sokoudjou
    5. James McSweeney
    6. Houston Alexander
    7. Jake Rosholt
    8. Kendall Grove
    9. Matt Horwich
    10. Renato Sobral

MW with some WW fighting at 185lbs
    1. Danillo Villefort
    2.Jesse Taylor
    3 Jason Miller
    4. Gerald Harris
    5. Ben Saunders ????? Trying to stay away from Bellator guys, but I thought i read he fights on 1 fight deals hoping to get back to the UFC
    6. Joey Villasenor
    7. Carlos Eduardo Rocha
    8. Kris McCray
    9. Karo Parisyan

Not the greatest list, but Id watch.

LHW finals IMO would be Anthony Johnson vs Thales Leites

MW finals IMO would be Carlos Eduardo Rocha vs Danillo Villefort
    FAV FIGHTERS- HW-Struve-JDS-D.Cormier LHW-Gustafsson -Ovince St. Preux Machida MW-Kenndey-D.Miller-Chris WeidmanWW-Condit-Rory MacDonald-Kampmann-Douglas Lima-Marquardt LW-Penn-Edgar-Jim Miller-Joe Lauzon-FW-Jung Patricio Freire BW-Torres-Dantas- Faber-Fly-Benavidez

vCash
    Babalu kills Johnson. He's better everywhere except wrestling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Nik Lentz
    Mike Pierce
    Jacob Volkmann
    Ben Henderson
    Tyron Woodley

All tried out for TUF 9: UK vs USA

That season was set up for the UK to win. End of story.

I'm 99% certain we see changes and possibly in the middle of the season. Because from the looks the ratings are gonna be horrible this year. They are already as low for the premiere as they were at the lowest point last year....
    I agree 100%, that season was set up for the UK to win and maybe get the next Bisping.

Just imagine if Bendo made the US team. We could easily be seeing a title fight between 2 former TUF winners in Diaz vs Bendo.

Quote Originally Posted by zn23 View Post
    I understand that, the TV business is all about the ratings. My problem with that is, if you look at all the current champs or even all the top contenders in the UFC, none are like the stereotypical TUF fighter.

I just think the UFC is doing itself a disservice by continuing to go for the douches, when fighters like Bendo and Edgar were available options.
    -----

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Babalu kills Johnson. He's better everywhere except wrestling.
    Highy unlikely, Babalu isnt that good...Every big fight he had of late he didnt last long at all. AJ would win IMO not a easy win but win

vCash
    Ya I think Rumble knocks Babalu out cold. Even at LHW, that guy has some serious power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    Kill: Graham Harrell- he's the worst thing I've ever seen... God awful. When you're watching a game thinking "why are they letting a high school cancer patient play a preseason game for make a wish foundation, he could get hurt." Then realize he's a professional, he deserves to die.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Walls Era View Post
    Don't talk about proper writing if you're going to use Ellipsis like an *** clown.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yanks19791024 View Post
    Highy unlikely, Babalu isnt that good...Every big fight he had of late he didnt last long at all. AJ would win IMO not a easy win but win
    He was supossed to lose to Robbie Lawler. His losses since 2007 are to Gegard Mousasi and Dan Henderson. Yeah, those guys kill Johnson.

Johnson's stand-up sucks to be honest. He's got explosive single strikes. Pretty much it. Sobral picks him apart.

Quote Originally Posted by WillisLovechild View Post
    Ya I think Rumble knocks Babalu out cold. Even at LHW, that guy has some serious power.
    I'd bet money on Babalu.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    He was supossed to lose to Robbie Lawler. His losses since 2007 are to Gegard Mousasi and Dan Henderson. Yeah, those guys kill Johnson.

Johnson's stand-up sucks to be honest. He's got explosive single strikes. Pretty much it. Sobral picks him apart.

I'd bet money on Babalu.
    No he wasnt it was a catchweight 195lbs. And who are his wins???

he lasted 1 min vs Gegard and 1 min 50 seconds ve hendo.

AJ was beating Vitor easily until the fight got stood up 2 seconds after a takedown.

Babalu just isnt good

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yanks19791024 View Post
    No he wasnt it was a catchweight 195lbs. And who are his wins???

he lasted 1 min vs Gegard and 1 min 50 seconds ve hendo.

AJ was beating Vitor easily until the fight got stood up 2 seconds after a takedown.

Babalu just isnt good
    Let's not act like Robbie Lawler is a super small MW. He's stronger than Sobral, and hits harder.

Yeah.. Point? Johnson looked like a rookie against Kos when it hit the mat.

Oh please. Johnson landed a shot or two.

Neither is Johnson. Sobral wins.

vCash
    Great performance by Neil, he was one of the top 3 fighters imo to win the show.

Nelson looked like a complete idiot. I was shocked when he selected Neil with the first pick. Complete waste.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast