Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John X Doe View Post
    You guys are talking about trends going 50 years back. I'd like to know today why more than 90% of blacks only press the button marked D. Do they think the D is helping them? Where are they getting their advice? Who's counseling them? The church? Black leaders? Particular TV networks? Their parents?

I'd like to hear from black voters. Do they feel Republicans are evil? Do they have any idea what Republicans stand for? I've been in Afghanistan for a few years with hundeds and hundreds of soldiers, civilians and contractors and I'll say this - I've never seen one single black person pay one iota of attention towards any political show be it CNN, Fox, CBS, or MSNBC as we all convene for each meal. I personally don't believe the vast, vast majority of black voters have a single idea in their head of the issues and am very curious why every one of them vote D every single time. Just curious.
    The simple answer to this is 50 years is really not a long time at all...
    Son, you just don't get it, i'm talking bout TWTW!

vCash
    Oversimplified version: republican policies are very unfavorable to poor people. Black people (and minorities in general) are more likely to be poor.

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Oops. Did no properly read the whole thread.
    Last edited by flips333; 07-12-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    You guys are talking about trends going 50 years back. I'd like to know today why more than 90% of blacks only press the button marked D. Do they think the D is helping them? Where are they getting their advice? Who's counseling them? The church? Black leaders? Particular TV networks? Their parents?

I'd like to hear from black voters. Do they feel Republicans are evil? Do they have any idea what Republicans stand for? I've been in Afghanistan for a few years with hundeds and hundreds of soldiers, civilians and contractors and I'll say this - I've never seen one single black person pay one iota of attention towards any political show be it CNN, Fox, CBS, or MSNBC as we all convene for each meal. I personally don't believe the vast, vast majority of black voters have a single idea in their head of the issues and am very curious why every one of them vote D every single time. Just curious.
    Uhh you realize what this sounds like right. Do you know the vast majority of black people? That is quite possibly the most blatantly prejudiced thing I have read on here.

Really you don't think historical issues matter?

I've seen plenty of black folks who watch political shows, but then again I am running with a crowd of edjucated liberals. If I were to base my opinion on just what I see around me i would say that black people pay more attention than white people. But I'm not naive enough to base my opinion on the truth in the world solely on personal experience.

My guess is you are not paying attention or you are only looking for things that confirm our own world view. Regardless, if You had an honest curiosity you wouldn't preface it with crap.
    Last edited by flips333; 07-12-2012 at 10:30 PM.

vCash
    This discussion thus far has been really well framed. The historical context of the transition of both parties over the last half century or more, I wish we could ahve gone through this in previous threads a year or two ago when this came up before.

I will say that we have to discuss the incredibly high percentage of the african american vote Obama has. I always get a bit skiddish when discussing voters by race. But the statistics for the african american vote for Obama were just reported as being at 87% compared with 5% for Romney. How often do we see these statistics? In the 2008 election he had over 90% (same source). When does any group of any kind vote with that kind of unity? For me, it leads me to question what the source of this is. Is Romney really that bad? Hardly. Is Obama that good? Please.

I am left to wonder if it isn't about who sells them the snake oil better? The african american vote is hardly unique in that regard, so the statistics still aren't answered. There is something special, something unique to this. I just truggle to grasp intellectually that a people grouped together only by race would vote with such a singular mind. It's a kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. If you say it is legitimate that african americans vote with one mind, is that racist? If you ignore it, you are destined to lose the election. Which tells me something about the way I am approaching the issue needs to change.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Uhh you realize what this sounds like right. Do you know the vast majority of black people? That is quite possibly the most blatantly prejudiced thing I have read on here.

Everyone's so damn afraid of being prejudicial. I'm merely speaking my mind based on observations. I stand by them. Are you telling me I'm wrong? If so, prove it. I just have never seen an interest taken, never been or even overheard conversations related to politics...never! Black people couldn't care less. That's my experience.

Really you don't think historical issues matter?

Again, I pose the question to get real answers. I don't think most people today are hanging on trends created 50+ years ago. I'd like more compelling evidence or even any evidence. Who's backing those statements?

I've seen plenty of black folks who watch political shows, but then again I am running with a crowd of edjucated liberals.

I honestly haven't. Not a single one. I'm in a neutral setting full of the people I mentioned. I have political discussions with people I work with and those who happen to sit near the TV when political shows or news pertaining politics is on every day. Doesn't mean I'm right or wrong but I'll say this...I'm no spring chicken and my entire life I've found this to be the case. Just sayin'. And I pose the questions to entertain answers because I'm curious.

If I were to base my opinion on just what I see around me i would say that black people pay more attention than white people. But I'm not naive enough to base my opinion on the truth in the world solely on personal experience.

I don't believe you. I think you're dramatizing. When not in Afghanistan, I work in DC. I get plenty of exposure with blacks in my government jobs there. Social setting, lunchrooms, office get-togethers, basketball courts, on the sidewalk chatting,...never. Not once. Again, just sayin. My experience molds my beliefs. I'm not claiming I'm right. I'm asking the question.

My guess is you are not paying attention or you are only looking for things that confirm our own world view. Regardless, if You had an honest curiosity you wouldn't preface it with crap.
    Your guess is wrong. Sorry I don't provide the affirmation you seek.
    If my curiosity and questions are crap, then please don't respond. I didn't insult you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post
    This discussion thus far has been really well framed. The historical context of the transition of both parties over the last half century or more, I wish we could ahve gone through this in previous threads a year or two ago when this came up before.

I will say that we have to discuss the incredibly high percentage of the african american vote Obama has. I always get a bit skiddish when discussing voters by race. But the statistics for the african american vote for Obama were just reported as being at 87% compared with 5% for Romney. How often do we see these statistics? In the 2008 election he had over 90% (same source). When does any group of any kind vote with that kind of unity? For me, it leads me to question what the source of this is. Is Romney really that bad? Hardly. Is Obama that good? Please.

I am left to wonder if it isn't about who sells them the snake oil better? The african american vote is hardly unique in that regard, so the statistics still aren't answered. There is something special, something unique to this. I just truggle to grasp intellectually that a people grouped together only by race would vote with such a singular mind. It's a kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. If you say it is legitimate that african americans vote with one mind, is that racist? If you ignore it, you are destined to lose the election. Which tells me something about the way I am approaching the issue needs to change.
    No, it isn't racist to said that african americans vote single mindly for democrats. There have been alot of threads saying why they see the republicans as the anti-black issues party. The way the republicans have show a lack of respect for Obama and the racist attitudes of the tea party have throw the black vote firmly, once again, into the democrat camp.

Wonder how other non-white and non-mainstream groups (gays, pro-abortionist, feminist) vote?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post
    . . . I am left to wonder if it isn't about who sells them the snake oil better? The african american vote is hardly unique in that regard, so the statistics still aren't answered. There is something special, something unique to this. I just truggle to grasp intellectually that a people grouped together only by race would vote with such a singular mind. It's a kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. If you say it is legitimate that african americans vote with one mind, is that racist? If you ignore it, you are destined to lose the election. Which tells me something about the way I am approaching the issue needs to change.
    not trying to be negative or judgmental. One thing you might look at is the first line here. Selling snake oil will win you an election, but not decades of voting support. For a group of people to vote so solidly one way would seem to indicate that either one party is viewed by them as against them or the other party is totally for their interests or both. To have that vote be so completely one sided implies the former. That the GOP is against their interests.

Just a guess here, but gay people vote mainly democrat. but i doubt it's as skewed as your figures for African Americans. Rich people vote mainly GOP, but again i doubt it's as skewed. Voting for someone you see as positive, that supports your views, seems less of a compelling reason than voting against someone you fear.

JMO, but the huge difference in the voting levels says more about the GOP than the Democrats. Guess that is the point I'm trying to make. Looking for a reason like the Democrats are better snake oil salesmen is looking for the wrong reason in the wrong place.

vCash
    If my curiosity and questions are crap, then please don't respond. I didn't insult you.
    You know I can make the same generalization about whites from the whites that I work with and socialize with. They are totally apolitical and don't watch any news shows. They often know more about Tom Cruise's break-up with Katie Holmes or who is doing what on "Dancing with the Stars or when Batman is coming out to the theaters. I wouldn't be surprise if a large number of posters on this forum don't or is unable to talk about political subjects with the ones they work with or drink a beer with. I have had more in-depth conversations with the knowledgeable people here then on a bus-stop or water cooler.

But it would be foolish to make a generalization from the small numbers of people I have socialize with.
    Last edited by WES445; 07-13-2012 at 02:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whitesoxfan83 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    Who cares?

Why even bother measuring voting groups by race in the first place?
    What always gets me is these politicians spend all this time trying to pander to this group or that one without realizing, or caring, that 35% of America doesn't vote.

Why not pander to that group? Wouldn't they be the biggest minority group in the nation?
    Because if all of then voted the GOP would never have another president.

vCash
    But it's not just blacks for example, if your white and you don't like black people or you gonna vote GOP or DEM? I mean really, we all know the answer to that. The biggest problem the GOP has is guilt by association. Every rascist piece if trash is gonna vote GOP....they are also the loudest ones. Did anybody see on tv when the Hispanic people were protesting the Arizona law and the people out there supporting and by extension the Group that came up with it. We're spraying them wit Lysol and all that mess like because they were hispanic they were dirty or diseased. An the problem is even though everybody out there is not like that, they don't shut it down and tell them to get out of here with that kinda ****. So people minorities perceive that they agree with it. The bigots or the loudest group in the GOP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjay33 View Post
    Because if all of then voted the GOP would never have another president.
    Yeah, it seems like the republicans do better with low turn-outs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    Yeah, it seems like the republicans do better with low turn-outs.
    yeah, the GOP just has better party discipline. GOP voters go to the polls rain or shine or snow or sleet or whatever but not democrats. they only vote if and when they get around to it.

vCash
    Dupe
    Last edited by flips333; 07-14-2012 at 04:07 PM.

vCash
    Sorry I call people out on their crap. You are going to insult an entire race of people and then get squeamish if someone calls you on it.

Personal experience is allways biased and limited. I'd suggest reading and thinking about Wes's response.

Ignoring history is fine... You don't accept the answer as "real" fine... But blacks were oppressed, then legislation was passed to ensure equal rights... They have some loyalty to that party. And it's not hard to know who racists vote for. If you hate blacks, gays, Jews or Hispanics you are really really likely to vote republican. (note I'm not saying all republicans hold this view point) If you are a black, Jew gay or Hispanic what else do you need to know about the parties?
    Last edited by flips333; 07-14-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast