Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Wolves Summer League

The Wolves' top three draft picks -- UCLA's Shabazz Muhammad, Louisville's Gorgui Dieng and North Carolina State's Lorenzo Brown -- and big man Chris Johnson lead the list of names of the Wolves' Las Vegas Summer League team finalized today.
    Second-year guard Alexey Shved is expected in town to practice with the team starting Wednesday, but will not play in Vegas because he's playing for the Russian national team later this summer.
    Forward Robbie Hummel, the team's second-round pick in 2012 who played mainly in Spain last season, will play in Vegas.
    So will Illinois guard Brandon Paul and Luke Sikma, Jack's son, is back on the roster after playing for the Wolves last summer.
    The rest of the roster includes a number of Americans who have been playing overseas -- swingman Marqus Blakely, point guard Kee Kee Clark, shooting guard John Holland, forward Solomon Jones -- as well as D Leaguers Phil Jones (6-10 center), Demitri McCarney (6-3 guard) and Mychel Thompson (6-8 forward).
    Jones has played parts of seven NBA seasons with Atlanta, Indiana, Clippers, New Orleans and the Knicks before playing in China last season.
    Thompson is son of former Gophers star Mychel Thompson and brother of Golden State's Klay Thompson and he played for Sioux Falls in the D League last season.
    Wolves player development coaches David Adelman and Shawn Respert will coach the Vegas team.
    Posted by: Jerry Zgoda
    This is Good! Lots of minutes to our rookies and Hummel.

vCash
    I believe there is a player on the roster named Othyus Jeffers. I didn't/don't know much about him, but there seems to be some buzz about him.

Here is a write up from Hollinger regarding Jeffers...

Offense-He's a quick efficient slasher who can finish in the lane and is best suited for a transition offense. Off the dribble he's exceptional no one can defend his first step and he's able to finsh at the rim, he's very deliberate. Shooting though is occasionally a bit of a problem it's not that he have a bad shot, it looks pretty but it doesn't fall much as you think it should when watching it leave his hands. He's been played at power foward much of his career though, so i'm assuming his jumpshot will improve with more time spent, as it seems the mechanics are there.

Defense-Defensively he's great I don't really know how much im able to add to what I said above, but I really want to pound home he's a great defender. Being closer to 6''2' he uses is strenth and defensive instinct to actually make it work in the D'league I wouldnt experiment with this in the NBA, but he's certainly shown he's willing and able to do whatever it takes to win.
    quite a bit of praise, from a guy who knows his basketball.

Also, he is very quick, and has a 7ft wingspan.

Definitely a guy to keep an eye on.

vCash
    Watching some highlights from the Summer league, I had to giggle a little bit. Fans get really excited to see their young draft picks get their first action as an NBA player...but it really is just a glorified pick up game. There is no team concept, it is just a bunch of players trying to stand out to impress their coaches, or for the other guys who werent drafted, trying to stand out to impress another team to pick them up.

What I do value in the Summer league, is how a player looks physically next to the other guys. For example, I saw highlights of Kelly Olynyk on ESPN, and he definitely looked the physical part compared to the other guys. There is also a little bit of stock to put into the Summer League, because, as in any pickup game, the best individual players always stand out. However, its still a crap shoot onto whether or not that player will fit into an NBA scheme, ala Jhonny Flynn.

but yeah, keep an eye on Othyus Jeffers.
    Last edited by PurpleJesus; 07-09-2013 at 02:12 AM.

vCash
    In the mean time, we can comment on Orlando league games. Another bad shooting night from Kaldwell-Pope 1-6 for three

Wolves United

vCash
    KCP with a nice game 6-13, couple of threes and some nice defensive play - basically as advertised.

PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

a) their - stands for "belonging to them"
    b) there - means "over there" as in location
    c) they're - short for "they are"

vCash
    Check the stats from Oladipo 22 pts, 4-7 FG, 2-2 threes, 12-14 FT, 5 reb, 2 ast, 5 TO

He drive to the rim, hit an open 3, handle/share the ball, play defense. We should've paid that steep price to get him

Wolves United

vCash
    Anyone remembers Jet Chang from our last year's summer league roster? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG4Ocyzq7-c I think he hasn't played a minute haha

Wolves United

vCash
    Brandon Paul is an interesting player.

United we Run

vCash
    Here we go, some more developments:

WOLVES 2013 SUMMER LEAGUE ROSTER
    No. Player Position Height Weight Birthdate Prior to NBA/Home Country NBA Exp.
    22 Marqus Blakely G/F 6-5 225 10/22/88 San Mig Coffee (Philippines)/USA R
    4 Lorenzo Brown G 6-5 186 8/26/90 North Carolina State/USA R
    8 Kee Kee Clark G 5-11 185 10/08/84 Umana Venezia Reyer (Italy)/USA R
    5 Gorgui Dieng C 6-11 245 1/18/90 Louisville/Senegal R
    23 John Holland G 6-5 205 11/06/88 Cajasol (Spain)/USA R
    6 Robbie Hummel F 6-8 215 3/08/89 Blusens Monbus (Spain)/USA R
    12 Othyus Jeffers G 6-5 200 8/05/85 Iowa (NBADL)/USA 2
    3 Chris Johnson F 6-11 210 7/15/85 LSU/USA 3
    40 Phil Jones C 6-10 255 9/02/85 Los Angeles (NBADL)/USA R
    44 Solomon Jones F 6-10 245 7/16/84 Liaoning (China)/USA 7
    30 Demitri McCamey G 6-3 200 2/21/89 Fort Wayne (NBADL)/USA R
    15 Shabazz Muhammad F 6-6 225 11/13/92 UCLA/USA R
    33 Brandon Paul G 6-4 200 4/30/91 Illinois/USA R
    43 Luke Sikma F 6-8 235 7/30/89 Autocid Ford Burgos (Spain)/USA R
    24 Mychel Thompson F 6-7 215 6/01/88 Sioux Falls (NBADL)/USA 1

vCash
    Anyone watching the game?

Wolves United

vCash
    eh they removed the link on firstrowsports

Wolves United

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar View Post
    Anyone watching the game?

I'm trying, but the first row stream that's supposed to show the wolves is showing the Mavs game instead. I don't get cable so I'm still looking around.

vCash
    After the 1st quarter:
    Chris Johnson: 5 points-2 boards-2 TO
    Shabazz: 5 points (2/3 shooting)-2 TO
    Deng: 1 Blk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Waiter1602 View Post
    After the 1st quarter:
    Chris Johnson: 5 points-2 boards-2 TO
    Shabazz: 5 points (2/3 shooting)-2 TO
    Deng: 1 Blk
    Are you watching online somewhere, by chance? Or on NBA tv/just following the box score?

vCash
    Just the box score lol. I've been trying to find somewhere to watch it as well.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast