Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Tim Duncan will sign a 3-:year contract

Tim Duncan will sign a three-year contract with the Spurs this week, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. Duncan's representatives and the Spurs are finalizing a few items, but the structure has been agreed upon. Yahoo! Sports

http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/san_antonio_spurs

'Coach, we've got an issue with Kawhi in the arena. Event management called and the lights are not on, and Kawhi's in the arena for two straight days at 6:30 in the morning. And he brought two lamps from home, and he put them up in the arena and shot.'

^

(During NBA lockout)

"No flash, No gimmicks. It's the quiet guys you should fear."

vCash
    Tim Duncan To Sign Three-Year Deal With Spurs
    July 10 at 10:51am CST By Luke Adams

Tim Duncan will re-sign with the Spurs on a three-year deal when the moratorium ends, according to Johnny Ludden of Yahoo! Sports. Duncan and the team are finalizing a few details, but have agreed to the structure of the contract, says Ludden.

That Duncan will return to San Antonio isn't surprising -- the two-time MVP said himself earlier this year that he was a "Spur for life" and that he wasn't going anywhere. What's a little surprising is the length of the contract. There was some speculation that the 36-year-old Duncan would consider retirement this summer, so three more years is an unexpected commitment.
    We're still waiting for the salary details of Duncan's agreement, but Ludden suggests the contract will be in the same neighborhood of Kevin Garnett's three-year, $34MM agreement with the Celtics. The Spurs have also committed to new deals with Danny Green and Boris Diaw in the last couple days, so it seems the core of the team that was eliminated in the Western Conference Finals this season will remain mostly intact.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/07/t...purs.html#more

'Coach, we've got an issue with Kawhi in the arena. Event management called and the lights are not on, and Kawhi's in the arena for two straight days at 6:30 in the morning. And he brought two lamps from home, and he put them up in the arena and shot.'

^

(During NBA lockout)

vCash
    Report: Duncan, Mills to re-sign with Spurs

Written by Paul Garcia | 10 July 2012

After word came out early this morning that the San Antonio Spurs and Boris Diaw had agreed upon a new two year deal, Yahoo Sports!' Johhny Ludden is reporting that the Spurs have reached a three-year agreement with Tim Duncan and a new deal with Patty Mills.

Ludden states that Duncan's new deal will be similar to Kevin Garnett's 36-million dollar deal over in Boston, and there isn't any details on Mills' new deal at the moment.

Ludden also wrote that the Spurs intend to bring in French guard Nando De Colo as Project Spurs has been reporting over the last three weeks.

With Duncan and Mills back on board with Diaw and Danny Green, the Spurs have managed to bring back every core player from last season. With James Anderson being the only player who probably won't return and De Colo taking his slot, the Spurs will have one extra spot on their bench to put the team at 15-players.

Could that last piece be one free agent out on the market? Or will disgruntled forward DeJuan Blair be traded in the future? Only time will tell.

http://projectspurs.com/

^

(During NBA lockout)

vCash
    Approximately worth $36 mil. - 3 years

Glad they came to agreements with everyone.

Well deserved contracts for all the players.

Last edited by AlexTmz2; 07-10-2012 at 12:59 PM.

^

(During NBA lockout)

vCash
    Alex, do you get feeds directly from the spurs FO? You are quick.

I actually assumed this was already posted, so I thought I would check peoples reactions. I am lukewarm on this deal. Similar to KG (like I thought), and this seems a little high for my taste. Go ahead and call me a spurs hater if you want. But here are my points.

The spurs were lined up to have major money next year. A 37 year old Tim Duncan is now your major acquisition for 2013-14. Does that sound good to everybody?

I love Duncan, but rarely is a guy that old, with that many minutes worth that much money. How is he going to be for the playoffs that year after 2 more full seasons of basketball?

And if this really is true and this contract is fully guaranteed for the third year, then even if he does retire, we are still on the books for his salary and it counts towards our cap space(unless he terminates his contract which is unlikely). What does this do for luxury status in 14/15 when Leonard will (most likely) begin looking for a major pay raise?

I really hope this is a declining salary scale (14, 12,10) but that seems unlikely. So even though I am glad Duncan is playing again this year and even next, I am disappointed that it cost us the amount of money it will over the final two years of the deal. The only way this doesn't hurt as bad is if he retires after next year or even year two and we then waive him and stretch out his payment over the next 3-5 years.

Let me be clear, I am excited that Duncan is coming back and I think he deserves a great contract for all that he has done. My comments have nothing to do with Duncan. What I am worried about is the ability to retool with really good players over the next 2-3 years. And this deal hurts that plan. With our three deals today, we most likely have added roughly 20 million dollars to the summer of 2012. So (most likely) we have gone from having 40 million in cap space to having under 20 million in cap space. That is a major difference considering Gino and Splitter will most likely require money as well.

vCash
    Marc J. Spears: Tim Duncan also has a no-trade clause in his new contract with the Spurs. Twitter
    http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/san_antonio_spurs

^

(During NBA lockout)

vCash
    benjirh;22875482]Alex, do you get feeds directly from the spurs FO? You are quick.

I work in the F/O. LOL

I wish..

I just like to keep everyone updated. It just makes it easier for anyone who likes pro sports daily and the SPURS.
    Last edited by AlexTmz2; 07-10-2012 at 02:46 PM.

^

(During NBA lockout)

vCash
    I agree with benjirh. LOVE Duncan, one of my fav of all-time! Though I wish he took a paycut around $6m/yr so we have a chance to sign some FA's. O well, Duncan deserves every single dollar of this. Spur for life. Just need to get that C (Kaman or Martin) and the offseason is done!
    Top 10 Rappers Right Now
    1. Nas 2. Kendrick Lamar 3. Jay-Z 4. J Cole 5. Lupe Fiasco 6. Pusha-T 7. Kanye West 8. Eminem 9. Drake 10. Wale

Top 10 Rappers of all-time
    1. 2Pac 2. Nas 3. Rakim 4. Notorious B.I.G. 5. Jay-Z 6. Eminem 7. KRS-One 8. Public Enemy (Chuck D) 9. Common 10. Ice Cube

Follow me, @bharjan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benjirh View Post

I actually assumed this was already posted, so I thought I would check peoples reactions. I am lukewarm on this deal. Similar to KG (like I thought), and this seems a little high for my taste. Go ahead and call me a spurs hater if you want. But here are my points.

The spurs were lined up to have major money next year. A 37 year old Tim Duncan is now your major acquisition for 2013-14. Does that sound good to everybody?

I love Duncan, but rarely is a guy that old, with that many minutes worth that much money. How is he going to be for the playoffs that year after 2 more full seasons of basketball?

And if this really is true and this contract is fully guaranteed for the third year, then even if he does retire, we are still on the books for his salary and it counts towards our cap space(unless he terminates his contract which is unlikely). What does this do for luxury status in 14/15 when Leonard will (most likely) begin looking for a major pay raise?

I really hope this is a declining salary scale (14, 12,10) but that seems unlikely. So even though I am glad Duncan is playing again this year and even next, I am disappointed that it cost us the amount of money it will over the final two years of the deal. The only way this doesn't hurt as bad is if he retires after next year or even year two and we then waive him and stretch out his payment over the next 3-5 years.

Let me be clear, I am excited that Duncan is coming back and I think he deserves a great contract for all that he has done. My comments have nothing to do with Duncan. What I am worried about is the ability to retool with really good players over the next 2-3 years. And this deal hurts that plan. With our three deals today, we most likely have added roughly 20 million dollars to the summer of 2012. So (most likely) we have gone from having 40 million in cap space to having under 20 million in cap space. That is a major difference considering Gino and Splitter will most likely require money as well.
    yes it does.

vCash
    Tim was always signing for 3/36 or thereabouts. That has been speculation since the beginning of last season by many. Of course that is a lot of money but his production will be worth it at least the next 2 years & the fact he has left a lot of money on the table for the Spurs makes this a no brainer. I also believe the 3rd year is a player option as well. I don't expect TD to pick it up if he can't earn it. Either way It won't cripple us and there should be no panic as we are still in a decent position. This is a fair contract for both sides considering who it is, last years production, & the market. People need to take into account that the NBA is a business & resigning the greatest player this franchise has ever had was necessary. Whether or not Tim falls off a cliff that 3rd year he is still TD, which makes great business sense for our small market Spurs. Not to mention he would just become a slightly over paid big which is pretty common in today's NBA. I understand where the complaints are coming from, but the extra $ we are spending on him is not going to cripple us & the FO is ok with attempting to rebuild on the fly as well as win now. It may not be a plan you like, but is obviously the one being executed...and I personally, am all for it. When TD retires then we can blow it up completely. Just enjoy watching him play while you still can.

To answer your ? yes, it does make me happy.
    Last edited by UnWantedTheory; 07-11-2012 at 12:36 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benjirh View Post

We were never going into next season with 40+ mil in cap space so I don't see a problem with spending some on Duncan. We are competing NOW. Gino will be resigned at probably half of what he makes now(if he decides to return) & Splitter is due a pretty decent salary increase that I do not see the Spurs willing to pay regardless the amount of cap they have.
    Also, historically what FA's truly want to land here in SA to begin with? Especially if we have no chance of winning anything. TD, Pop, & our chance of contention are the only things truly appealing to the slim pickings of FA's we have brought in over the years. To be honest, in 2 years we don't retool. We rebuild. There is a difference. Rebuilding is not done in one season, so in his last year it would most likely not hurt our rebuilding process terribly if he decides to pick his option up.
    Last edited by UnWantedTheory; 07-11-2012 at 12:51 AM.

vCash
    Also, with the signing of De Colo & the re-signings of Geen & Mills I would think we should be expecting a trade. That is a serious logjam at the G pos. with Gino, Green, TP, De Colo, Mills, Neal, Joseph, & Denmon. I don't really expect Joseph or Denmon to be with us, but it is possible they battle it out for the last roster spot. Either way I think a Gary Neal trade is gonna happen simply because he is due for a raise as well next season. I also can't wait to see what Nando brings to the team.
    Last edited by UnWantedTheory; 07-11-2012 at 12:25 AM.

vCash
    Official: Duncan re-signs with Spurs
    Written by Paul Garcia | 11 July 2012

It's official, the San Antonio Spurs have announced the franchise has re-signed forward Tim Duncan, though per club policy, no details of the contract were announced. Reports yesterday had Duncan signing for a three-year deal that is fully guaranteed and has a player option in the final year.

Here's a statement from Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich per the Spurs' press release:

“Tim Duncan has established himself as one of the best players in NBA history,” said Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich. “His impact on the Spurs organization and the city of San Antonio can’t be measured. We are all grateful for the leadership and dedication Tim has shown to the Spurs franchise. He is an unselfish superstar who loves to compete and has only one goal when he steps on the court – to do whatever it takes to help his team win. We are all thrilled that he’ll spend his entire career as a San Antonio Spur.”

With Duncan now officially signed, the expectation is that the franchise will begin re-signing Boris Diaw, Danny Green, Patty Mills, and French guard Nando De Colo in the near future.
    http://www.projectspurs.com/

^

(During NBA lockout)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UnWantedTheory View Post
    Tim was always signing for 3/36 or thereabouts. That has been speculation since the beginning of last season by many. Of course that is a lot of money but his production will be worth it at least the next 2 years & the fact he has left a lot of money on the table for the Spurs makes this a no brainer.

Either way It won't cripple us and there should be no panic as we are still in a decent position.

People need to take into account that the NBA is a business & resigning the greatest player this franchise has ever had was necessary.

When TD retires then we can blow it up completely. Just enjoy watching him play while you still can.

We were never going into next season with 40+ mil in cap space so I don't see a problem with spending some on Duncan. We are competing NOW.

Also, historically what FA's truly want to land here in SA to begin with? Especially if we have no chance of winning anything.
    I think we have argued about this before and I don't think we will ever agree on this, but I thought I would reply to a few of your comments with my perspective of the situation.

I agree that there were always rumors of what he was going to make. This contract didn't surprise me, just disappointed. And to reiterate my point, I have no problem with his salary for this coming year. He could have made 16 mil and it wouldn't have bothered me. My issue is the roughly 25million owed over the final two years. And we must have different opinions of what is worth 25million. His numbers this last year possibly warranted this salary, but if you look at the decrease in his production and the fact that he functioned in a much shorter season, there is no reason to believe that those stats are going to hold steady. You are right about him leaving money on the table (I forgot about that and had to do some looking). And I am not saying that we should jip him out of money, but my issue is the length and guaranteed amount.

I am not panicing, nor did I ever say that it would cripple us. Sorry if that is how it sounded. What I did say is that it drastically affects our cap space for the next two years. Now instead of having enough money for 2 max deals. We have maybe one. And you will try to sell that person on coming to a team that has a 37 year old PF and an over 30 PG who relies on quickness. That is a major difference.

Yes, the NBA is a business but you keep mentioning the business side of things when I am specifically talking about the cap space. I have never said we shouldn't resign Duncan. But marketing does not affect Cap space. So even though he may bring in revenue next summer. It doesn't give us more money to spend on free agents. And how is signing him for three years make any difference in marketing if he still isn't playing at that point. Just because he has a contract doesn't mean more Jersey sales.

I will enjoy watching him play, however I don't enjoy watching him struggle at things he used to be great at. And we will start seeing that more and more. I also have never said that I didn't want him playing this coming year. I just question a three year deal, when he himself has even questioned how long he would really be playing. What is the harm of him signing one year deals? That way he gets his money and the team isn't saddled with a contract for a guy who isn't playing. I am also confused about your blow it up comment. Next summer was always in the spurs plans to have money. We don't need to blow up anything when everyone comes off the books already.

I looked again and you are right, it wouldn't have been 40, but without Duncan, Green, and Bonner, we would have had more than 30. Still more than enough to sign to really good players. You are right, that we generally haven't brought players to SA, but that is not an issue of location. That is an issue of money. When was the last time that we had enough money to offer a FA a max salary deal? The last one I remember is Grant Hill in 2000. A lot has changed since then. If we are always going to assume that we will never get a big ticket agent then we are in big trouble. If we had the money this year do you think we had a shot at Hibbert or Batum? I believe we did. Not that those are superstars, but these players have to go somewhere and eventually the big cities won't be able to pay them.

I will wrap this up by stating that this deal does affect our rebuilding process. And I do understand the difference between retooling and rebuilding. But in reality, we have already started the rebuilding. Creating cap room next year and moving up to draft Leonard, are all moves that teams make when they are rebuilding. Hopefully we can do our rebuilding project on the fly and make it work. This deal does affect that. I understand that the FO has a plan, but it doesn't mean that it is the only plan. I would love for Duncan to play the next 10 years, but at the same time we need to be realistic about what he has left as well as what we need to try to maintain our dominance. I am not interested in having my team pay 12 million to a guy just so that I can reminisce about his career. I can do that by seeing him at the arena in playoff games watching the superstars that I could afford with his 12 million (ala DR).

I am glad fans are excited about this deal. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic with my question earlier, I really wanted to know if people liked the deal. I love the deal for this coming year. I don't like the deal for years two and three, that was my point. Sorry if it offended people.
    Last edited by benjirh; 07-11-2012 at 04:56 PM.

vCash
    Benji, I understand where you are coming from, but how would you shape out the roster without dipping into that30+ mil we would have had? We still have to compete now as well. If we would sign 2 max FA then how would we fill out the rest of the roster today & tomorrow? What about Gino? Possibly Splitter or Jack? Not to mention Duncan would have to be resigned if we were to go by your model of him signing 1 year deals. What if Duncan has another season like this one? We would have to pay him around what he is making now...and we would HAVE to keep him. Regardless of production dips they are worth more than the MLE or vet. min. As well you know, we didn't just sign TD, but Green, Diaw, & De Colo who are eating a portion too. Again, with a fall in production to 10 & 9 or so he is still going to be a good defender in his advanced years & that automatically makes him at least a 8 mil type of player. IMO he isn't gong to drastically be overpaid & I highly doubt that 3 or 4 mil has us lose out on a superstar. We are doing fine rebuilding on the fly. Again, we were never going into next year with that much cap space as we have to take care of our own first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast