Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    If Connolly is our number one center next yr, we are not making the playoffs.
    That's such a blanket answer. Bozak was our 1st line center last year and we weren't even close. Are we even better? At all? If Connolly scores 65 points in 73 games like he did 3 seasons ago, he's the highest scoring centerman in Toronto since Sundin had 78 points in 07-08.

If Connolly scored 65 points, we'd make the playoffs.
    Your banking on big if. History has shown that he can't stay healthy and he does no look like the same player he was before. This team needs goaltending help and a number one line center and maybe even a top four defensemen.

Realistically only one or two of those needs may get filled. This off-season has been one of the slowest in recent memory or it just feels that way.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

vCash
    Connolly scoring 65, LOL good one.

Legendary

vCash
    Connolly's gonna score 30 goals, I am telling you.

(Kidding)

Keep them both Nonis.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke2 View Post
    Connolly's gonna score 30 goals, I am telling you.

(Kidding)
    Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tim have a big year. The reasoning? contract year. Seems to have an odd effect on players, suddenly they become healthier and produce. This is his last shot at a big contract.

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    You mean the Jason Blake syndrome

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tim have a big year. The reasoning? contract year. Seems to have an odd effect on players, suddenly they become healthier and produce. This is his last shot at a big contract.
    Last contract year he put up 42 points in 68 games. I wouldn't expect much more than that (unless he ends up centering Kessel and Lupul for the majority of the season). I still think he'd be a better option there than Bozak, it's just he seems to take so many shifts off... kind of disappointing with his skill set.
    "The way they play offense here is difficult for any quarterback," he said. "Every snap is an incredible decision. They're in a one-back offense, they can't run the ball against certain looks so they have to audible to some kind of a pass or a creative run to get away from trouble.
    "There's never a play in the game where Stafford can just turn around, hand the ball off and catch his breath. Every play he's researching the defense and they throw as much as anyone."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    You mean the Jason Blake syndrome
    Thing with Blake was he completely got away from that 40 goal year by changing his style. He scored all those goals by crashing the net hard...he then came here and though he was a sniper for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by blujaysrock View Post
    Last contract year he put up 42 points in 68 games. I wouldn't expect much more than that (unless he ends up centering Kessel and Lupul for the majority of the season). I still think he'd be a better option there than Bozak, it's just he seems to take so many shifts off... kind of disappointing with his skill set.
    I'm aware of that and I'm not banking on him suddenly producing but again, I wouldn't be shocked to see him have a good year. We need to remember Tom is and always was a stop-gap. He was never the "answer" by any means, just a stopgap until a legit center was brought in or developed. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kadri centering the first line out of camp...I'm kind of hoping for it actually.

vCash
    Thing with Blake was he completely got away from that 40 goal year by changing his style. He scored all those goals by crashing the net hard...he then came here and though he was a sniper for some reason.

I'm aware of that and I'm not banking on him suddenly producing but again, I wouldn't be shocked to see him have a good year. We need to remember Tom is and always was a stop-gap. He was never the "answer" by any means, just a stopgap until a legit center was brought in or developed. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kadri centering the first line out of camp...I'm kind of hoping for it actually.
    That would be ideal. Would love to see Kadri come in a win it. He's obviously going to be stronger since he's working with Gary Roberts, so hopefully that's the difference.

I see no reason why he couldn't come in and match Bozak's statistical contribution, though he is weaker defensively. Also would imagine JVR is in there for the first bit.

But ideally (with our roster), I would hope to see something like this at some point

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
    JVR - Grabovski - MacArthur
    Kulemin - Bozak - Frattin
    Brown - Steckel - McClement

But I seriously can't imagine sitting both Connolly and Lombardi or having Frattin sent to the AHL, just doesn't really make sense
    "The way they play offense here is difficult for any quarterback," he said. "Every snap is an incredible decision. They're in a one-back offense, they can't run the ball against certain looks so they have to audible to some kind of a pass or a creative run to get away from trouble.
    "There's never a play in the game where Stafford can just turn around, hand the ball off and catch his breath. Every play he's researching the defense and they throw as much as anyone."

vCash
    The reasoning? contract year. Seems to have an odd effect on players
    Nothing odd about it. I think everyone likes lots of money lol. That's the reason for playing better on a contract year,

Legendary

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345