Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 30 of 181 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stlbest5in2013 View Post
    Give me 2 starters up front that can strike out anyone at anytime and a 3rd who pitches to contact. Pitching to contact is good but those balls will find holes in the playoffs eventually and you need to be able to get out of jams without always relying on your defense.
    Garcia has a fairly decent strikeout rate as well. Higher than Carp over the past three years.

vCash
    Victorino is basically a platoon player at this point (I know he is a switch hitter, but look at his splits).

The Reds ideally want Span, might end up with Pierre. And apparently turned down an offer for Victorino already.

I just want a better reliever and a nice bench guy that we can turn to as additional depth if necessary.

vCash
    Wow, why even bother switch hitting at that point.

vCash
    I wish the Cardinals would just offer Miller, Adams and Cox for Johnson. After his start today his value has to have dropped a little and Stark said the market is drying up due to absurd prices.

Miller while struggling in AAA is still rated higher than anything the Angles gave to Greinke. Adams is a 100 prospect depending on what site you use. Cox really has no future here, can play 3rd in Miami and bat 2nd for them in the future.

I think its more than a fair offer, but I doubt the Marlins are going to take it.

But they would get 2 top 100 prospects and a top 120 prospect in the deal (according to that thread over on the MLB main board a month ago, mid season rankings)

Adams value for this team is hard to tell. On one hand you have Craig at 1B which almost makes him expendable. On the other hand you have more interleague games coming starting next year and he can fill in for Craig when Craig is playing OF and getting a day off.

vCash
    Hard to compare the trade value of Grienke and Johnson since JJ is under contract next year and Grienke isn't.

How many more IL games will there be next year? Thought it was still about the same number just spread throughout the year rather than all during the middle of the season.

vCash
    Adams lack of ability to play other positions than first is what makes him expendable, if he could play the corners he could take Craig's role next year. Which will probably go to Matt carpenter and I'm completely okay with that

According to joe Strauss the cardinals are internally discussing bringing up Tavares. I don't get why? We don't have a starting spot this year or next year for him. He's not a realistic CF option, if he has a good spring bring him up next year as a part time outfielder before taking over for Beltran but what goods he do this year? We would basically be bringing him up a half year to a year and a half early

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    Adams lack of ability to play other positions than first is what makes him expendable, if he could play the corners he could take Craig's role next year. Which will probably go to Matt carpenter and I'm completely okay with that

According to joe Strauss the cardinals are internally discussing bringing up Tavares. I don't get why? We don't have a starting spot this year or next year for him. He's not a realistic CF option, if he has a good spring bring him up next year as a part time outfielder before taking over for Beltran but what goods he do this year? We would basically be bringing him up a half year to a year and a half early
    where did you see this?

Michael Wacha

5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

vCash
    To me Johnson does not make sense, in view of his tendency to injury. Shields is still the best option.
    This is the pitching the Cards need.

Pro 24:10 If you slack off on a day of distress, your strength is small indeed.
    Pro 24:11 Yes, rescue those being dragged off to death won't you save those about to be killed?
    Pro 24:12 If you say, "We knew nothing about it," won't He who weighs hearts discern it? Yes, He who guards you will know it and repay each one as his deeds deserve.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by revsolly View Post
    To me Johnson does not make sense, in view of his tendency to injury. Shields is still the best option.

Not for the same asking price its not. TB wants more then Greinke for Shields because TB is still in the race and are in no hurry to unload him for nothing.

While Shields is not garbage he has allowed the most hits in baseball the last 2 years. Yes he can strike people out and get out of jams. But you get JJ who is looking better for possibly the same package as you can get Shields (Miller, Adams, Cox) you get JJ.

You can even slot him in 3rd behind Lohse and Waino for the rest of the season and move Lynn to 4th. Thus giving you a huge advantage when going into a series with your 3,4,5 pitchers going.

Plus talk over on the main board is Rangers do not want to part with Olt so they are after Beckett and Dodgers are in on the new Cliff Lee talks (which Cardinals should not be in on. No way Miller, Martinez and Taveras is worth Lee and even if Philly eats half his salary) Now Miller, Jenkins, Cox and ??? for Lee and they eat half his salary is something I would be on board with. If Lee made 8 million less a year I would be all over him with Miller and Martinez and take all his salary but that is not the case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDirt05 View Post
    where did you see this?
    https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/tmckernan

Strauss was on tim McKernans radio show today, said it then.

Strauss: I do think bringing Oscar Taveras up is on the table. I know it's being talked about internally.
    Strauss: I do think something could happen with Tyler Greene over the next couple of days to clear a roster spot.
    Last edited by Skippy15; 07-30-2012 at 02:27 PM.

vCash
    Stark just said on his daily rumblings that Johnson is no longer on the block after his performance last night. Marlins are going to keep him and hope his value goes up in his walk year than to just get rid of him. Thus we are back yet again to basically doing nothing.

vCash
    Stark just said on his daily rumblings that Johnson is no longer on the block after his performance last night. Marlins are going to keep him and hope his value goes up in his walk year than to just get rid of him. Thus we are back yet again to basically doing nothing.
    We weren't getting Johnson anyway, we are just as likely to do something now as we were before them pulling johnson from the block

Nothing has changed

vCash
    which was what exactly? Over pay for a middle reliever that wont change things this year? Great count me as disappointed in that wasteful move.

On a side note Cleveland says they are not sellers yet Boston is calling them about Masterson. Masterson would look good in Cardinal red IMO. Sure he is having a down year compared to his breakout year last year, that said Adams, Cox, Jenkins, other for Masterson and one of their late inning guys seems fair.

vCash
    which was what exactly? Over pay for a middle reliever that wont change things this year? Great count me as disappointed in that wasteful move.

On a side note Cleveland says they are not sellers yet Boston is calling them about Masterson. Masterson would look good in Cardinal red IMO. Sure he is having a down year compared to his breakout year last year, that said Adams, Cox, Jenkins, other for Masterson and one of their late inning guys seems fair.
    Your over reacting about a move that hasn't been been made yet. Chill out and stop thinking the absolute worst will happen.

As far as Masterson, personally I always root for him because we graduated from the same high school, several years apart. But It would really depend of the reliever, I don't think Masterson is much better than Kelly but If we could get either vinnie pestano or Joe smith and a low level prospect.

vCash
    I guess Astro's Jed Lowrie is available. Another DFA Tyler Greene option has opened up.