Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Cards Gain Cost Certainty over Lynn's Arbitration years 3/22

with some incentives based on games started for up to 3/23.5

I was hoping we could get some control over some free agent years, but this is fine for both sides

I'm guessing
    2015 - 4.5
    2016 - 7.5
    2017 - 10

With 500k based on 28 starts in 2016, and 1million for 56 starts in 2015-2016 in 2017

So he could make 4.5, 8, 11 if he stays healthy

Either way, this is a fine deal for both sides, nobody won, nobody lost. Lynn was facing a record amount in arb.

I'll update the post when they release the financials.

vCash
    a steal If he repeats 2014

vCash
    Wonder if this effect how they approach the supposed pursuit of Price, Hamels, or Scherzer?

With cost certainty and a willingness to let Lynn's deal play out and make a QO if Lynn performs .

Who has more value in 3 seasons? Lynn? Price? Scherzer? Hamels?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufelshunde4 View Post
    Wonder if this effect how they approach the supposed pursuit of Price, Hamels, or Scherzer?

With cost certainty and a willingness to let Lynn's deal play out and make a QO if Lynn performs .

Who has more value in 3 seasons? Lynn? Price? Scherzer? Hamels?
    Scherzer
    Price
    Hamels
    Lynn

in that order lol

But Lynn is close behind

vCash
    Not a bad or great deal, but not a deal, I think, I would have done.

We all know that pitchers are the riskiest type of ball player.
    I'd almost certainly go year-to-year with pitchers until I had to sign them long-term.
    Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

vCash
    Good deal for both sides.. I really hope we get one of Hamels, Max or Price too though, I just don't know if Waino will be 100% this season..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post

I'd almost certainly go year-to-year with pitchers until I had to sign them long-term.
    Agreed, only benefit to trying to lock up Lynn beyond arb years is if there was a discount or they were option years.

Great post by Sullivan on Fangraphs about Lynn's platoon splits and why he may currently benefit to remain with the cardinals and in the NLC because he is exposed to the fewest lefties he can be.

If you don't have to, with pitchers, year to year is ideal, though, you want to have some stability year to year in your rotation. I would hate to go into every off-season needing to restaff my rotation. It's ideal to only have to replace a few guys.

I'm happy with the deal, but wished we could have gained potential control for a free agent year or two, but we all know how expensive those years can be

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok:29522025

It's hard to go year to year with all pitchers. As a function how people are if you continually squeeze them financally, they will return that in spades when given leverage.

It's safe to say by giving out some multi year deals to players a team deems worthy they are signaling they will take care of their own. Look at the hoops the Marlins had to jump thru to sign Stanton to an extension as an example. They pissed on their players for years and routinely looked and acted in bad faith with players and fans. While it's a fair point to say it's always about money. It's also fair to say money isn't everything.