Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

2015 Spring Training Thread

I know it's a month early, but I'm getting antsy.

Post anything Spring Training or pre-season related here. I will add more to it soon.

The countdown is on: Important dates to know for all Cardinals fans

ST. LOUIS -- The countdown to the New Year is entering its final hours and you know what that means? It's time to start counting down the days until the 2015 baseball season.
    There's plenty on the docket in the 96 days before Adam Wainwright and Jon Lester begin the Joe Maddon era at Wrigley Field on Sunday night, April 5:
    Tuesday, Jan. 6: Hall of Fame Class of 2015 is announced. The most likely inductee to have worn the Birds on the Bat is John Smoltz, but he is not a shoo-in. Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez are, however, and Craig Biggio should also get the call this time. A bunch of others will be waiting anxiously by their phones, including Jeff Bagwell, Mike Piazza, Curt Schilling, Tim Raines and Mike Mussina. Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens might be too, though they figure to be disappointed.
    Jan. 13: The arbitration season begins. The Cardinals took care of new reliever Jordan Walden by handing him a two-year deal on Christmas Eve, but John Mozeliak still must deal with the cases of Lance Lynn, Jon Jay, Tony Cruz and Peter Bourjos. From what Mozeliak has said, Lynn is a prime candidate for a contract extension. What is worth watching is whether the Cardinals try to sign him for just a couple of his arbitration years or if they look to lock him up long term. Homer Bailey, 28, scored a six-year, $105 million deal from the Reds last spring in his final year of arbitration. This will be the 27-year-old Lynn's first crack, so the situations aren't the same. Still, which right-hander would you rather be paying a nine-figure deal?
    Jan. 17: The Winter Warm-Up converges again on the Hyatt Regency across from the Arch for three days of shoulder-to-shoulder Cardinals fans trying to rub shoulders with their heroes. And to get their autographs, too. Yadier Molina tops the prices at an even $100 but the club has not released a time when he will appear. Which means, of course, no one knows if the most popular Cardinals player will show up this time.
    Autograph tickets go on sale on Tuesday, Jan. 6. Here's a link to all of the prices (Adam Wainwright, at $90, is second-highest).
    Jan. 18: The St. Louis Baseball Writers Dinner makes its second appearance at the downtown Renaissance Grand. The 1985 National League champions will be honored, with most of the key players from the club expected to attend. Who knows, Molina might even appear to receive his newest Gold Glove award. You can purchase your tickets at stlouisbbwaa.com.
    Feb. 19: Finally, the words that every baseball fan craves to hear this time of year: Pitchers and catchers report. At least, that's the date Cardinals pitchers and catchers will be due in Jupiter. If recent years are any indication, most already will have arrived.
    Feb. 24: Position players report. If the over-under is 1.5 on the number of position players who will wait until the mandatory date to show, I'm taking the under.
    March 5: Cardinals-Marlins in the exhibition opener. Finally, we get a glimpse at where Mike Matheny is looking to slot new right fielder Jason Heyward in the batting order. I'm going with second behind Matt Carpenter.
    March 12-14: The Cardinals play at Roger Dean Stadium for three days in a row, against the Orioles, Marlins and Twins. This will be the only time they're at Roger Dean for three consecutive days until the final week of camp.
    April 5: Cardinals at Cubs in the Sunday night opener at Wrigley Field. Wainwright versus Lester with all of the baseball world watching will make for a hot ticket. Just be sure to avoid buying one for the left-field bleachers. They're behind schedule on the renovation of Wrigley Field.
    http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/sto...ls-fans-123014

Cards announce Spring Training broadcast schedule

ST. LOUIS -- For the second straight season, FOX Sports Midwest will broadcast 15 of the Cardinals' Grapefruit League games and then rebroadcast most of those in a primetime slot later in the day. The Cards' flagship radio station, KMOX (AM 1120), also announced that it will carry 18 spring games, including the team's exhibition context in Memphis, Tenn., on April 3.

Fans living outside the FOX Sports Midwest market will also be able to watch select Spring Training games on MLB.TV and listen to broadcasts through Gameday Audio. Subscriptions for both are available at MLB.com.
    While the KMOX broadcasts will begin with the team's March 5 spring opener against the Marlins, the first televised game on FOX Sports Midwest won't come until a week later. Each will have a noon CT start time except for the team's April 2 Grapefruit League finale, which is against the Mets and will begin an hour earlier.
    Additional games may be selected for television broadcasts by either MLB Network or ESPN.
    http://m.cardinals.mlb.com/news/arti...dcast-schedule
    Last edited by redbird89; 01-18-2015 at 04:02 AM.
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    To bad I cut the cord this last week. Im.moving in spring so no need to keep it.. Glad I will be moving out of range of FSM midwest. No more AL and Dan yay..

vCash
    Warmup Wrapup: News, features, video and more from Cards weekend

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...5fed7bb22.html
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    I'm ready for the season to start!!

vCash
    Me too. I'm getting excited

vCash

2015 Spring Training Thread

I'm ready to see jhey in that cards uni!!

Michael Wacha

5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

vCash
    St. Louis Cardinals
    ‏@Cardinals
    Just like the good old days. #CardsFantasyCamp

More pictures:

St. Louis Cardinals
    ‏@Cardinals
    #CardsFantasyCamp Commissioner @RickyH49 leads the first morning meeting of camp.

https://twitter.com/Cardinals/status...418880/photo/1

St. Louis Cardinals
    ‏@Cardinals
    The locker room is set after a great first night opening dinner. Now let's play some baseball! #CardsFantasyCamp

https://twitter.com/Cardinals/status...123648/photo/1
    Last edited by redbird89; 01-31-2015 at 12:04 PM.
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    Hot Stove: Jon Jay 01/30/15 | 00:06:36
    Cardinals outfielder Jon Jay calls in to MLB Network's Hot Stove to talk about the 4th Annual Jon Jay Celebrity Bowling Challenge

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/7417714...t-on-hot-stove
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    OH so close ladies and Gents! Can't wait!!!!!!

vCash
    Pitchers and catchers report Thursday.
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    So it's been discussed a lot on Twitter lately for whatever reason so I thought i would bring it here

What do you guys think the line up should be?

If it were me I would go

1. Jay CF
    2. Carpenter 3B
    3. Holliday LF
    4. Heyward RF
    5. Adams 1B
    6. Peralta SS
    7. Molina C
    8. Wong 2B

Personally I would prefer Bourjos>Jay. But it's not happening And if Heyward's power doesn't come back (I think it will. Think it's about his mind set) then he would need moved up into the #2 slot

But I like Carpenter at 2 because of his power ability (also think we see more of that this year. Think we see 15-20 home runs and 35+doubles because of a slightly more aggressive mentality, similar to 2013) but it also allows his high OBP to keep doing what it does

Jay at lead off because frankly he's a singles hitter who does a good job getting on base and that's about it.

I think this separates the lefties as much as possible, though I think it's a little over blown. Jay, Carpenter hit lefties well. Wong did in the minors. Shouldn't be an issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    So it's been discussed a lot on Twitter lately for whatever reason so I thought i would bring it here

If it were me I would go

1. Jay CF
    2. Carpenter 3B
    3. Holliday LF
    4. Heyward RF
    5. Adams 1B
    6. Peralta SS
    7. Molina C
    8. Wong 2B

Personally I would prefer Bourjos>Jay. But it's not happening And if Heyward's power doesn't come back (I think it will. Think it's about his mind set) then he would need moved up into the #2 slot

But I like Carpenter at 2 because of his power ability (also think we see more of that this year. Think we see 15-20 home runs and 35+doubles because of a slightly more aggressive mentality, similar to 2013) but it also allows his high OBP to keep doing what it does

Jay at lead off because frankly he's a singles hitter who does a good job getting on base and that's about it.

I think this separates the lefties as much as possible, though I think it's a little over blown. Jay, Carpenter hit lefties well. Wong did in the minors. Shouldn't be an issue.
    I wanna see Wong lead off.. I think with his speed and his ability to hit the ball out of the park he'd make the perfect leadoff man..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15:29645105

If it were me I would go

1. Jay CF
    2. Carpenter 3B
    3. Holliday LF
    4. Heyward RF
    5. Adams 1B
    6. Peralta SS
    7. Molina C
    8. Wong 2B

I wouldn't let Jay anywhere near lead off. If ur not gonna worry about stacking the LH hitters then just run ur best all in a row up there. Yadi has thrived hitting 5th or 6th last several years. Ik it seems many are writing him off based on his production after he came back from thumb injury. But let's remember he had very lil exposure to live game action before returning and I'd expect his thumb was healed but not no where near 100%.
    Honestly I don't have any good ideas for line up construction. All I hope for is that MM puts his best out there and works at getting the bench involved as well. I'm tired of watching this team run out of gas late in season and watching the bench be such a non factor season after season under MM. Championship teams get contributions from the whole 25 man roster. Not a select 20 like MM likes to try for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan85 View Post
    I wanna see Wong lead off.. I think with his speed and his ability to hit the ball out of the park he'd make the perfect leadoff man..
    I think that happens In the future. I just don't think its this year. Could be later in the year

It's all gonna depend on how he gets his approach going. He wants to take more pitches and be more patient. If he can he could easily be the lead off hitter even this year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufelshunde4 View Post
    I wouldn't let Jay anywhere near lead off. If ur not gonna worry about stacking the LH hitters then just run ur best all in a row up there. Yadi has thrived hitting 5th or 6th last several years. Ik it seems many are writing him off based on his production after he came back from thumb injury. But let's remember he had very lil exposure to live game action before returning and I'd expect his thumb was healed but not no where near 100%.
    Honestly I don't have any good ideas for line up construction. All I hope for is that MM puts his best out there and works at getting the bench involved as well. I'm tired of watching this team run out of gas late in season and watching the bench be such a non factor season after season under MM. Championship teams get contributions from the whole 25 man roster. Not a select 20 like MM likes to try for.
    Jay at lead off makes sense because he gets on base at a .372 clip last year and .359 career.

I get people have this idea that Jay does nothing well but he actually gets on base very well.

Put Jay at lead off and let him do the literal one thing he's good at, getting on base. Put Carpenter #2 and let him be in a position where his on base and power is extremely valuable.

It's not so much about putting Jay at the top as it is there's no one else to do it right now.

Wong hasn't shown the On base ability yet, Heyward at lead off is a waste. If Wong shows he can get on base flip them

But moving a .360 OBP to lead off and a career .433 slugging (Carpenter had .375 last year but will easily be back over .400 this year) into the 2 spot would be a good thing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast