Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    vCash
    I had an idea a couple days ago and we apparently don't have a trade idea thread so I'm gonna put it here cause I can't find the other one. I think that at any moment, Brian Burke could pull the trigger on a deal based around Joffrey Lupul and Paul Stastny and I think both teams and all of us would be happy about it. Something like...

To Colorado:
    Joffrey Lupul
    Mike Komisarek
    Matthew Lombardi
    prospect (D'Amigo, Leivo, or someone like that)

To Toronto:
    Paul Stastny
    Joey Hishon
    2nd round pick

Both teams win. Colorado gets a legit 1st line winger to play with one of Duchene or O'Reilly who are both real good young centermen while relieving some of their depth among top 6 centermen. Leafs get a legit top 6 center, of which they only have one of, and elevate some of their wing depth. Plus the Leafs get rid of 2 big contracts in Komisarek and Lombardi while Colorado gets over the cap floor but at the same time Komisarek's contract is front loaded (3.5 million salary next 2 years, 4.5 cap hit) and Lombardi is an expiring contract. Then to make up the difference (in my eyes at least) between Stastny on the down side and Lupul on the up side, you throw in the 2nd, and a high risk, high reward prospect in Joey Hishon who may never play again but may become another top 6 center if he does play again.

Colorado would quickly throw Lupul probably with Duchene and Parenteau, Jones, or maybe McGinn and then keep O'Reilly with Downie and Landeskog where they played so well at the end of last season. We would then look something like this...

van Riemsdyk - Stastny - Kessel
    Kadri - Grabovski - MacArthur
    Kulemin - Bozak - Connolly
    Brown - Steckel - McClement

That team has playoffs written all over it IMO.

vCash
    I think its more likely the avs target a dmen for stasny. If that was offered (mcjoe's offer) i would do that in a heartbeat. I've been very high on trading lupul before the season starts and i think the best time to trade him would be now. Trading all that cap would open us up to adding a guy like semin or doan to fill the void as lupuls replacement, and even if you strike out on them we still have jvr.

I like stastny, he's a bit overpaid and overated, but the guy has skill and would easily be the best centre we've had in a long while.

vCash
    If philly gets doan and suter for just 1sts and money then briere has got to be available. I would love to add him ( maybe over stasny if they were they same age).

Homer and burke seem to have a pretty good relationship, and burkes deals always seem to include anaheim or philly.

Get it done.

Edit: it also would cost less imo. Mac, gunnarson, 2nd for briere? Maybe a conditional 1st if we make the playoffs.
    Last edited by OptiMized; 07-21-2012 at 02:19 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    If philly gets doan and suter for just 1sts and money then briere has got to be available. I would love to add him ( maybe over stasny if they were they same age).

Homer and burke seem to have a pretty good relationship, and burkes deals always seem to include anaheim or philly.

Get it done.

Edit: it also would cost less imo. Mac, gunnarson, 2nd for briere? Maybe a conditional 1st if we make the playoffs.
    Flyers won't actually be in on both. If the Preds match, Flyers will be out on Doan. I don't think they can deal ANOTHER core piece with a no-trade(move) after having dealt Richards, Carter, and JVR before their no-trades came into effect. They already missed out on Parise partially for that reason and on top of that, Shea doesn't have a no-trade since its an offer sheet apparently.

They'll have to make some sort of move now that they have signed Weber (maybe not actually) because it puts them 500,000 over the cap. Sending Gervais down or waiving Shelley would do the same thing. I don't think they can get away with continuing to re-tool the way they have been.

vCash
    Poulin said in an interview that a top line centre is no longer a top priority. He said that carlyle really wants to give jvr a chance, and they feel they have centre depth that can step in if need be.

Interestingly enough he brought up defense, nd not goaltending.

vCash
    I think after the Nash trade has gone down and seeing as how the NYR really didnt give uP "a lot" I wouldn't be surprised to see Burke pull the strings on a Bobby Lu trade now. The asking price will now 100% go down.
    The pieces fit. Contract aside

We need a bonafide goalie - check
    Goalie that likes the media - check
    Vancouver CAN'T go into the season with Lu/Schneider
    Leafs are one of teams Lu will accept trade
    It just all makes to much sense to not happen? Just my opinion though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    Poulin said in an interview that a top line centre is no longer a top priority. He said that carlyle really wants to give jvr a chance, and they feel they have centre depth that can step in if need be.

Interestingly enough he brought up defense, nd not goaltending.
    Well we do have center depth even if JVR fails. Can always plug in Connolly or Bozak again.

We're actually deep down the middle, we just don't have a #1.

Bozak/Connolly/Grabo/Lombardi/McClement/Steckel

I actually think another D would be a good scenario. I actually wouldn't mind seeing J Bo brought in. He make's a **** load, but I'm sure we could probably get Komisarek going back the other way (with prospects)

That would actually solidify our D quite well

Gunarsson - Phaneuf
    Gardiner - Bouwmeester
    Liles - Franson/Holzer

Bouwmeester can log huge minutes, play well on the PK, well on the PP and well 5v5. Only 28 years old as well. We would have a lot of money committed to our D, but it would actually be a competent D for once. Would love to see J Bo's skating on the back end, especially with Gardiner, that would be a treat to watch every night.
    "The way they play offense here is difficult for any quarterback," he said. "Every snap is an incredible decision. They're in a one-back offense, they can't run the ball against certain looks so they have to audible to some kind of a pass or a creative run to get away from trouble.
    "There's never a play in the game where Stafford can just turn around, hand the ball off and catch his breath. Every play he's researching the defense and they throw as much as anyone."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blujaysrock View Post
    Well we do have center depth even if JVR fails. Can always plug in Connolly or Bozak again.

We're actually deep down the middle, we just don't have a #1.

Bozak/Connolly/Grabo/Lombardi/McClement/Steckel

I actually think another D would be a good scenario. I actually wouldn't mind seeing J Bo brought in. He make's a **** load, but I'm sure we could probably get Komisarek going back the other way (with prospects)

That would actually solidify our D quite well

Gunarsson - Phaneuf
    Gardiner - Bouwmeester
    Liles - Franson/Holzer

Bouwmeester can log huge minutes, play well on the PK, well on the PP and well 5v5. Only 28 years old as well. We would have a lot of money committed to our D, but it would actually be a competent D for once. Would love to see J Bo's skating on the back end, especially with Gardiner, that would be a treat to watch every night.
    You are my new best friend.

I would love jaybo on our team. The only obstacle imo are the rumours that he and dion hated eachother. I think i would pull the trigger on a Kadri/colborne and a 2nd for him even without a salary dump. Even throw liles or gunnar at them on top of it.

Not only does aquiring him improve our overall talent but it takes a lot of pressure of dion and i think he will be better for it.

vCash
    Lol oh god... great we found someone who agrees with Optimized about stupid Bouwmester. NO HE WON'T BE COMING TO TORONTO.

He's not even an option.... The guy is overpaid we don't need another one like that.

Also not to bash McJoe's idea or anything I just am really not a Stastny fan. I never liked him... his contract is gigantically big and the hit is 6 million, he's small and his stats aren't mindblowing.

I just don't like the idea of Stastny here. Or Bouwmester lol.

Keep them both Nonis.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke2 View Post
    Lol oh god... great we found someone who agrees with Optimized about stupid Bouwmester. NO HE WON'T BE COMING TO TORONTO.

He's not even an option.... The guy is overpaid we don't need another one like that.

Also not to bash McJoe's idea or anything I just am really not a Stastny fan. I never liked him... his contract is gigantically big and the hit is 6 million, he's small and his stats aren't mindblowing.

I just don't like the idea of Stastny here. Or Bouwmester lol.
    I'd try for Statsny first and see if they can take back one of Lombo/Connolly and offer them Franson's rights + Kadri and see what they say for that as starters. JBou would be interesting but i'd be adamant that they take back Komi and offer them Colbourne + ?????? and see what happens. Calgary would foolish not to at least consider that starting offer of Komi+Colbourne with their lack of C's in the organization. Thoughts

vCash
    Stastny would be a great addition if the price isn't too bad. If you notice all the best teams have their salaries structured with their best players getting big contracts and the depth players filling in the rest. Look at the NYR, PITT, PHI, great examples. Stastny would be one of our best players and would be a great addition to the top line. Not to mention, it would let our other best players play their natural positions.

I think one of the reasons Stastnys numbers have declined a bit had a lot to do with the emergence of O'Reilly and Duchene. Was Stastny moved to the wing? His typical numbers in a good year are 20ish goals and 45ish assists which is still a good upgrade on what we have. He had 79 points in 2010. Who says he can't find that again with Kessel who could put up 40 with him (if he can put up three 30+ goal seasons with Bozak). I think if the price is right, you have to do it. The leafs have the cap space and this would be a big improvement for the team.

vCash
    Frattin and a 2nd for bernier. If thats not enough then forget him.
    Colborne,biggs, komi, and a 3rd for jaybo.
    Trade mac for a second and a fourth at least before the deadline if we cant get him to extend at a lower price or if kadri impresses.

Use franson in any deal as a sweetner to put it over the top (more likely cgy wants him then la)

vCash
    Kessel was on fire to start the year and the team was doing well. I can still remember the goal when dion passed to phil and he kind of one-timed it to tie the game and they jumped and celebrated. That is the kind of energy we need out of Kessel and I think we would see it on a more regular basis if the success of the team did not fall entirely on his shoulders and if the team was winning. Its easy to make him the whipping boy when the team is struggling and then he's in the spotlight when he doesn't score a couple games in a row.

The best think burke could have done to validate the kessel trade would be giving him a complimentary centreman. What is the point in mortgaging the future with the firsts we gave to boston when he has no one to play with. When teams prepare for toronto, the plan is to shut down kessel and make the rest of the team beat you. Well, when the grabo line is cold, its going to be tough to win, hence would 2 wins in 17 game stretch or whatever that was last year. Now is the time to bring in that piece or phil could cut ties after next year because he is sick of living in the fishbowl with all eyes on him. JVR was a good start, but one more piece would be nice since the goalie market is obviously pretty shallow. The team still needs to improve. The big teams in the east are making thier moves, it is time to make ours.

vCash
    I bet carlyle would love a workhorse like bouwmeester. 82 games played in each of the last 7 seasons. Even the lock out year he played 82 in the ahl.

Two more years left on his deal and will be 30 when the deal is done.

vCash
    ^^i say keep building. Keep some of the depth we have in the spec pool, and go after some high level guys in the draft.

If we are anywhere near 15 next year in the draft they will get a quality centre. Hopefully they find a way into the top 10 and they get a shot at the big name guys.

A deal for stasny or getzlaff worries me. I wouldn't pull the trigger on that unless we keep our first or we get a steady goalie.Untill then keep building and aquring other teams high priced and unwanted talent (bouwmeester, marleau)that are on shrt deals and are too pricey for their teams. They are not unwanted but likely to b the first ones moved.
    Last edited by OptiMized; 07-24-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast