Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    Does anyone else think Burke is setting up JVR to fail by moving him to center? It's one thing to have to adjust to playing with new players and building chemistry, but to come in and learn a new position on top of that. Looks like it's another year without a proven 1st line center and a tandem of young unproven goalies.
    If he was stuck centreing the 3rd line - yes.
    If he's centreing Kessel and Lupul - no.

He's 6'3, over 200 pounds and is/was a very highly touted spec. Being only 23, and playing with Kessel and Lupul, i expect him to excel. He has the full package, if he can put it together with the top line, LOOK out!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gup View Post
    If he was stuck centreing the 3rd line - yes.
    If he's centreing Kessel and Lupul - no.

He's 6'3, over 200 pounds and is/was a very highly touted spec. Being only 23, and playing with Kessel and Lupul, i expect him to excel. He has the full package, if he can put it together with the top line, LOOK out!
    If being 6'3" 200 is the only qualification to be a center than why don't we just put Lupul at center? Or Kulemin? Or MacArthur? Its not that simple. Playing center in the NHL is kind of difficult, that's why only like 200 people can do it...

But we're in Toronto, he's been set up to be a disappointment ever since the trade was rumoured 2 years ago...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    If being 6'3" 200 is the only qualification to be a center than why don't we just put Lupul at center? Or Kulemin? Or MacArthur? Its not that simple. Playing center in the NHL is kind of difficult, that's why only like 200 people can do it...

But we're in Toronto, he's been set up to be a disappointment ever since the trade was rumoured 2 years ago...
    Massive fail on your behalf Mcjoe. Obviously I wasn't saying being 6"3 200 lbs makes you an NHL centre. But thanks for way over analyzing what I just said.

Highly touted
    Playing with top tier players.... Lups kessel
    And he's big.

vCash
    It's tough imagining him panning out at center. I certainly hope he does but he's got perma-winger written all over him.

vCash
    i could easily see Connolly puting up 65 points in a contract year that is when hes at his best

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gup View Post
    Massive fail on your behalf Mcjoe. Obviously I wasn't saying being 6"3 200 lbs makes you an NHL centre. But thanks for way over analyzing what I just said.

Highly touted
    Playing with top tier players.... Lups kessel
    And he's big.
    Well I got your point but you missed mine (partly because I was being an *** and I apologize lol). Why does being a highly touted winger suddenly make you able to play center? Joffrey Lupul was a top 10 pick and was highly touted when he got to Anaheim so why can't he play center? He has a solid 2-way game, he's a decent skater, and he works hard so why not? Phil Kessel was drafted as a center, played center his first year or 2 in the league with the Bruins, and played center all through junior but he can't handle center. Maybe that has mostly to do with his lack of a defensive game or lack of size but he can't handle it at the NHL level.

What makes an NHL center is really my point...does being big, strong, and skilled make you a center? Maybe. Rick Nash isn't a center but why is that. He's big enough, skilled enough, strong enough, he's a good enough skater, he's a good enough defensive player, why can't he play center? Maybe that's as good a question as why can't JVR play center or maybe its because they aren't natural centers and shouldn't be playing center...

I guess in theory, why not right? To an extent I do agree with you, he's big, skilled, and putting him between 2 good players like Kessel and Lupul, why not. But I think where the "he's being set up to fail" theory comes in is pretty much exactly what you're arguing. He SHOULD be able to play center, he's big, strong, skilled, good skater, decent defensively, so he SHOULD be able to play center right? But what if he can't? What if he comes out there and goes pointless in 15 games, whilst getting burned by better, more experienced centermen, and he starts to get booed? He's not going to stay at center in that case obviously but what if he can't get back on his feet? What if he doesn't get it going again?

I just think its enough to ask him to adjust to a new system with a new team and new linemates, but to have him adjust to a new position, that position being the hardest forward position by far, and to play that position in the hockey mecca that is TORONTO? I think he's being set up to fail (I was on the fence and I've now convinced myself).

The worst part, and this is somewhat sympathizing with your argument, is that there is no way to argue any of my points other than just saying, well I'm sure he'll be fine and if he isn't, we'll move him back. But there is a very legitimate chance that this could completely ruin a fragile player, if JVR is in fact fragile mentally. It really does suck to think about it this bleakly...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boilerguy2412 View Post
    i could easily see Connolly puting up 65 points in a contract year that is when hes at his best
    Just looked out my window.. believe it or not.. ****ing pig was flyin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSoxMaster View Post
    Just looked out my window.. believe it or not.. ****ing pig was flyin.
    Tim Connolly 2009-10: 73 games, 17 goals, 48 assists, 65 points

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boilerguy2412 View Post
    I'd be happy if he put up 65 games

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    Tim Connolly 2009-10: 73 games, 17 goals, 48 assists, 65 points
    We're going into the 2012-2013 season. He's diminishing like an apple core on the side of the road.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSoxMaster View Post
    We're going into the 2012-2013 season. He's diminishing like an apple core on the side of the road.
    He played 70 games for only the 2nd time since the lockout and spent virtually the whole year playing with garbage after not getting a real shot playing on either of the top 2 lines...

Tim Connolly isn't the problem, he shouldn't even be the whipping boy...

vCash
    If he was making 3 mill buddy I'd be on board with you. His play took him off the top 2 lines.

vCash
    I can't believe i'm coming to Tiny Tim's defense but look at who was coaching him...Wilson for crying out loud. Everyone knows if you didn't gag hard enough on Wilson's **** as he jammed it down your throat ... you got benched.

vCash
    connolly hasn't played less than that in 3 seasons. Odds are very good he'll meet your expectations.

vCash
    The Ducks want a second line center. Let's try to school them in another trade lol.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast