Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should be Women be paid the same as Men in Grand Slam events?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 12.50%
  • No

7 87.50%
    vCash

Should women be paid the same as men in Grand Slam events?

Gilles Simon created some controversy because he said no. I agree with for him for a couple reasons.

1. Men play best of five sets and women play best of 3. Male players are putting in more time so they should get more money.

2. Men create most of the revenue. I am pretty sure if look at the crowds at mens and womens matches this will be evident.

vCash
    If the revenue for men is higher than for women, why does it have to be the same?

The way I see it, the more money you bring, the more you get paid.

vCash
    Women don't get paid as much because of the points that have already been brought up, More revenue gets brought in by Mens tennis, and play 5 sets instead of 3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBongTheory View Post
    Women don't get paid as much because of the points that have already been brought up, More revenue gets brought in by Mens tennis, and play 5 sets instead of 3.
    they don't or they shouldn't.

vCash
    When you all speak of revenue, is this ticket sales or media time? Who's getting the bigger ratings? And what are behind the ratings? Women's matches are over quicker which appeals to the short attention span of the average American. What casual American observer will sit through a 4-hour marathon? What are the average ratings of such matches? I'm sure they spike and fall. I'm just asking the question to know all the facts because on the surface this question has always seemed blatantly absurd to me. Women players: give me your justification because I see none.

I can actually do without women's tennis entirely. They tank sets, they shriek and run around like jack rabbits with no regard for strategy, style or athletic endurance as most of them as sucking wind into the 2nd set. It's a horrible game that until this one tournament, has never seen a server actually take command of the game since Martina - they might as well underhand serve and get rolling with their meaningless 30-hit rallies that people amazingly like. No net play to speak of. No strategic serving, just hit until one makes a mistake. Unfotunately, the men's game is quickly mimicking this "style" of play.
    Last edited by John X Doe; 07-08-2012 at 01:58 AM.

vCash
    Who exactly sets the rule that women play 3 sets? I know the WTA has previously held 5 set matches...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Gilles Simon created some controversy because he said no. I agree with for him for a couple reasons.

1. Men play best of five sets and women play best of 3. Male players are putting in more time so they should get more money.

2. Men create most of the revenue. I am pretty sure if look at the crowds at mens and womens matches this will be evident.
    No and this is the reason behind it.
    <3

lakers4sho | Chavacano | EricBallsachs | Avenged24 | still1ballin | GREATNESS ONE | Chacarron
    LakersMaster24 | KB-Pau-DH2012 | 8kobe24 | championships | Lakers+Giants | LakerShow
    AussieLaker | YouCan'tBeatLA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueman2424 View Post
    Who exactly sets the rule that women play 3 sets? I know the WTA has previously held 5 set matches...
    Probably the WTA, don't you think???!!!

Here's an article from the WTA that states there has never been such a tournament held by the women:

Posted By Michael Barber on March 20, 2012 in Articles, History, Mail Satchel

The Womenís Tennis Association (WTA) has never had a full tournament of best of five sets matches like the men have each year. However, from 1984-1998, the WTA required the finalists of the Tour Championships (Madison Square Garden, New York City) to play a best of five set match. Only three of the matches went a full five sets and six matches went four sets.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John X Doe View Post
    The Womenís Tennis Association (WTA) has never had a full tournament of best of five sets matches like the men have each year. However, from 1984-1998, the WTA required the finalists of the Tour Championships (Madison Square Garden, New York City) to play a best of five set match. Only three of the matches went a full five sets and six matches went four sets.
    Yeah, that's what I was reading about. I also read that there were no issues related to the extended matches either. Makes you wonder, I guess...

vCash
    Yeah, that's what I was reading about. I also read that there were no issues related to the extended matches either. Makes you wonder, I guess...
    there is difference between playing 1 5 set match a year and playing every GS match as a best of five. if the latter were to happen i am pretty sure there would be issues.

vCash
    You make it sound like some sort of conspiracy. Who the hell would want to watch 5 sets of uninspiring tennis? They fall apart after 2 and half sets. No strategy, no variety. Poor athleticism. Constant loud shrieking. Makes me wonder...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    there is difference between playing 1 5 set match a year and playing every GS match as a best of five. if the latter were to happen i am pretty sure there would be issues.
    You would have even more 6-0 sets and dozens of withdrawals strewn across every such tourney. Maybe then, they'd learn to serve and volley to end points and deploy strategy. Hmm...maybe I'm actually for this idea.

vCash
    You would have even more 6-0 sets and dozens of withdrawals strewn across every such tourney. Maybe then, they'd learn to serve and volley to end points and deploy strategy. Hmm...maybe I'm actually for this idea.
    I just dont think serve and volley will ever return. People say Serve and Volley suffered because of racket technology. But i am remember Rod Laver saying differently. He said they were forced to serve and volley because the courts were bad and you didn't know what kind bounces you would get.

However i still think there is a lot of strategy in the mens game. It just that they are better athletes. The better athletes wouldn't mind playing longer points, which is a strategy in itself.

vCash
    You make it sound like some sort of conspiracy. Who the hell would want to watch 5 sets of uninspiring tennis? They fall apart after 2 and half sets. No strategy, no variety. Poor athleticism. Constant loud shrieking. Makes me wonder...
    Uh, no conspiracy here. I'm inherently curious in trying something new. "Makes you wonder" is a figure of speech, not a comment toward you.

I'd just like to see it once before I make any assessments...

vCash
    Uh, no conspiracy here. I'm inherently curious in trying something new. "Makes you wonder" is a figure of speech, not a comment toward you.

I'd just like to see it once before I make any assessments...
    I didn't say that your figure of speech referred to me. But it did appear ambiguous. I guess we'll never know the reasons behind this but I could give you many (and did). I wouldn't watch it.