Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Should be Women be paid the same as Men in Grand Slam events?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    1 12.50%
  • No

    7 87.50%
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,277
    vCash
    1000

    Should women be paid the same as men in Grand Slam events?

    Gilles Simon created some controversy because he said no. I agree with for him for a couple reasons.

    1. Men play best of five sets and women play best of 3. Male players are putting in more time so they should get more money.

    2. Men create most of the revenue. I am pretty sure if look at the crowds at mens and womens matches this will be evident.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    37,115
    vCash
    1090
    If the revenue for men is higher than for women, why does it have to be the same?

    The way I see it, the more money you bring, the more you get paid.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,906
    vCash
    1500
    Women don't get paid as much because of the points that have already been brought up, More revenue gets brought in by Mens tennis, and play 5 sets instead of 3.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,277
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBongTheory View Post
    Women don't get paid as much because of the points that have already been brought up, More revenue gets brought in by Mens tennis, and play 5 sets instead of 3.
    they don't or they shouldn't.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Abyss
    Posts
    4,295
    vCash
    1500
    When you all speak of revenue, is this ticket sales or media time? Who's getting the bigger ratings? And what are behind the ratings? Women's matches are over quicker which appeals to the short attention span of the average American. What casual American observer will sit through a 4-hour marathon? What are the average ratings of such matches? I'm sure they spike and fall. I'm just asking the question to know all the facts because on the surface this question has always seemed blatantly absurd to me. Women players: give me your justification because I see none.

    I can actually do without women's tennis entirely. They tank sets, they shriek and run around like jack rabbits with no regard for strategy, style or athletic endurance as most of them as sucking wind into the 2nd set. It's a horrible game that until this one tournament, has never seen a server actually take command of the game since Martina - they might as well underhand serve and get rolling with their meaningless 30-hit rallies that people amazingly like. No net play to speak of. No strategic serving, just hit until one makes a mistake. Unfotunately, the men's game is quickly mimicking this "style" of play.
    Last edited by John X Doe; 07-08-2012 at 01:58 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,141
    vCash
    1500
    Who exactly sets the rule that women play 3 sets? I know the WTA has previously held 5 set matches...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Abyss
    Posts
    4,295
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by blueman2424 View Post
    Who exactly sets the rule that women play 3 sets? I know the WTA has previously held 5 set matches...
    Probably the WTA, don't you think???!!!

    Here's an article from the WTA that states there has never been such a tournament held by the women:


    Posted By Michael Barber on March 20, 2012 in Articles, History, Mail Satchel

    The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) has never had a full tournament of best of five sets matches like the men have each year. However, from 1984-1998, the WTA required the finalists of the Tour Championships (Madison Square Garden, New York City) to play a best of five set match. Only three of the matches went a full five sets and six matches went four sets.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,141
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by John X Doe View Post
    The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) has never had a full tournament of best of five sets matches like the men have each year. However, from 1984-1998, the WTA required the finalists of the Tour Championships (Madison Square Garden, New York City) to play a best of five set match. Only three of the matches went a full five sets and six matches went four sets.
    Yeah, that's what I was reading about. I also read that there were no issues related to the extended matches either. Makes you wonder, I guess...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,277
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by blueman2424 View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was reading about. I also read that there were no issues related to the extended matches either. Makes you wonder, I guess...
    there is difference between playing 1 5 set match a year and playing every GS match as a best of five. if the latter were to happen i am pretty sure there would be issues.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Abyss
    Posts
    4,295
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by blueman2424 View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was reading about. I also read that there were no issues related to the extended matches either. Makes you wonder, I guess...
    You make it sound like some sort of conspiracy. Who the hell would want to watch 5 sets of uninspiring tennis? They fall apart after 2 and half sets. No strategy, no variety. Poor athleticism. Constant loud shrieking. Makes me wonder...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    5,166
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Gilles Simon created some controversy because he said no. I agree with for him for a couple reasons.

    1. Men play best of five sets and women play best of 3. Male players are putting in more time so they should get more money.

    2. Men create most of the revenue. I am pretty sure if look at the crowds at mens and womens matches this will be evident.
    No and this is the reason behind it.
    <3

    lakers4sho | Chavacano | EricBallsachs | Avenged24 | still1ballin | GREATNESS ONE | Chacarron
    LakersMaster24 | KB-Pau-DH2012 | 8kobe24 | championships | Lakers+Giants | LakerShow
    AussieLaker | YouCan'tBeatLA


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •