Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

REPORT: Islanders Are “Pretty Well” Done for the Summer

I’ll have my own thoughts on how the season looks as we move along (there’s a looooong time left to go before opening night) but today Arthur Staple put out a note (warning?) that the Islanders are done for the summer, save for the usual training camp invitees.

Even though there are still plenty of players on the market, indications are that GM Garth Snow, coach Jack Capuano and the rest of the staff are going with what they’ve got.

So again, things can change and there’s a lot of time left to go but according to Staple, the Islanders are set. That means the offense could look much the same as last year; adding Brad Boyes and subtracting PA Parenteau.

Another interesting item Staple threw out was this:

There is also the chance for an amnesty buyout of G Rick DiPietro once the new CBA is settled, but that’s a big if.

Of course that is a big if and he fairly noted DiPietro in his mock lineup as the backup net minder to Nabokov. Kevin Poulin and/or Anders Nilsson nowhere to be seen.
    islanderspointblank.com

i suspect islanders fans are pretty much done buying season tickets too.

vCash
    :/ Kinda dissapointed this offseason... oh well

vCash
    Im alright. Didnt think we were gonna make any huge moves.

This offseason? In Visnovsky, Boyes, Carkner. Out Parenteau, Pandolfo, horrendous defenseman. I think we got better. D got a hell of a lot better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
    Im alright. Didnt think we were gonna make any huge moves.

This offseason? In Visnovsky, Boyes, Carkner. Out Parenteau, Pandolfo, horrendous defenseman. I think we got better. D got a hell of a lot better
    Totally agree with ya kmo, cant wait to see Boyes and he seems to already like it here which is extremely important http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636807
    and i would be happy if he can rejuvenate his career with us and I think he will. As for Parenteau, its fine because he was a late bloomer and I think we ill get more out of Boyes this year then the avs will get out of parenteau. I will tell you guys for sure if we are a contending team before the trade deadline garth will get a move going for us, almost positive. It's been to long and its time for our young guns to break out. Let's go Islanders.

vCash
    ^ Also, expect Streit and Okposo to have a better year this year too they shook the dust off from there injuries the previous season and should be up to pace again for the upcoming year. If alot of my whatifs come true this season expect the Islanders to be dangerous. Someone already pointed this out, nino will be fine if he still has confidence and I hope he does and I hope this year he actually has someone setting him up.

vCash
    ^^Boyes is only a year or 2 older than Parenteau anyway and his 2 best seasons as the best player on the Blues without JT were better than PA's season last year. Boyes's game has changed a little with the players around him, but he really is a complete hockey player and should be able to play a Parenteau-type style with less penalties and as much heart. May just be the homer in me, but I definitely think that whether it's Boyes or Okposo who fills in on that top line, that the 67 points PA brought us last year will be replaced, and maybe then some on top of it with more experience for JT and Moulson and Boyes maybe just being a more talented player than Parenteau.

Okposo was lost for most of last season as was Streit, and I expect both to improve. IDK whether okie will be on line one or 2, but I expect VAST improvement, I expect to see close to what we saw in the last few weeks from Okie (well maybe not a GPG pace) most of next season. People forget Okposo has 1st line potential because he missed half a season and then took a year to get back to normal. He's gonna be a great player in this league and soon. Streit, on the same hand, started to look liek his old #1 self later last season too. Now that he's healthy, and has seen his confidence come back and has some good Dmen around him, he could have his best season yet. Maybe not most points, but hell have a great year focusing on the little things a little more thna ever id say

vCash
    I'm expecting a good year out of baileu

vCash
    Yup kmo, and actually boyes is only 1 year older then PA i looked it up. I really think we will get more bang for our buck with boyes.

vCash
    Anyone disappointed with this offseason doesn't know what theyre talking about. We added a few good pieces and improved the team (Visnovsky, Carkner, Boyes, etc) and still have a TON of cap space. Why waste that cap space on the rubbish UFA's available this summer? This was one of the worst UFA classes ever.

Next year though? We have one of the ebst UFA classes ever potentially. We got a shot at the playoffs and a ton of cap space, and lots of guys with one year left n their deals (Boyes, Visnovsky, Streit, Nabby). Look at some of the names that can potnetially be UFA's next year:

Centers: Ryan Getzlaf, Patrik Elias, Andy McDonald, Mike Ribeiro, Mike Fisher, Derek Roy, Travis Zajac, Stephen Weiss, Tyler Bozak

Left Wingers: Joffrey Lupul, Brenden Morrow, Scott Hartnell, Ryane Clowe, Simon Gagne, Dustin Penner, Clark MacArthur, Val Filppula, Vinny Prospal\

Right Wingers: Jarome Iginla, Teemu Selanne, Corey Perry, Daniel Alfredsson, Jaromir Jagr, nathan Horton, Michael Ryder, Alex Burrows, David Clarkson, Chad Larose, Brad Boyes

Defenseman: Kimmo Timonen, Mark Streit, Lubomir Visnovsky, Sergei Gonchar, Ryan Whitney, Tobias Enstrom, Marek Zidlicky, Alex Edler, Jordan Leopold, Rob Scuderi, Ian White, Doug Murray, Kevin Klein

Goalies: Tim Thomas Nik Backstrom, Evgeni Nabokov, Kari Lehtonen, Nikolai Khabibulin, Mike Smith, Jose Theodore, Ray Emery

vCash
    ^None of those potential free agents matter if they have no reason to come to Long Island. The only way we can attract free agents is if we put a good team on the ice, and it's highly doubtful that we become even a top-10 team in the east with our current team.
    SPACE

vCash
    ^Why do you think that? Expect Nabokov to be healthy. Expect Streit and Okposo to play like they did late last year now thet theyre fully healthy. We upgraded the D big time. We lost Parenteau on offense and I would be surprised if Boyes cant come very close to or improve on PAP's offensive production and overall value. Look for overall improvement from most of our young guys and bounce back years from Reasoner and Grabner. I think we'll be top 10 in the East. And there is reason to come here, it's called opportunity and money. When there are that many big ticket UFA's there are bound to be at least one or 2 that come here. Even if it's mid tier UFA's liek larose, Scuderi, Whitney, etc, theyre all really solid players who will help our team. Theres a lot to look forward to with this team, and this offseason has been one of our best overall since Snow took over imo.

vCash
    Unfortunately I don't see us coming close to a playoff spot this year. Of the 8 teams that made the playoffs who got worse expect the Devils? And of the teams who missed out, I think Buffalo, Carolina and Tampa will be much better.

vCash
    ^We got better too. None of those teams you listed will have muc internal improvement either (getting better because players are ack to 100%/young and improving)

Buffalo: Lost Roy, Regehr and Leopold arent getting any younger, Pominville is coming off a career season, shoudl fall back to about 20-25 goals and 60-65 points this year, etc.

Carolina: Added Staal so people all of a dudden think theyre gonna do well, but theyre stilla pretty bad team. Lost important bottom6 forwards like Sutter, Brent, and Dwyer, and 2 #4 dmen in Spacek and Allen. Cam Ward is an enigma, can be one of the ebst or worst, not a recipe for success. Their best dman is Joni Pitkanen who is pretty much anemic defensively.

Tampa Bay: Has a shot becaus eof a great offense, but no. Their goalie tandem is Garon and Lindback, huge question marks and pretty likely not to be a very good one. The D is improved, but with that, its still not great. Carle is their #1 and not only is he overpaid but overrated, He's the Ehrhoff/Wisniewski of thsi offseason. Brewer is older and a #4 at this point. Hedman is unpredictable, could be good but has been pretty bad up unitl this point. Salo is likely gonna be injured all year, but a #4 if healthy. Ohlund and Bergeron are fine on the 3rd pair.

Tampa improved their D a little, their goaltending by a small amount if at all, and the O didnt get better. If anything it got a little worse now that they dont have Downie who was really affective as a goal scorer and puck getter for Stammer and St. Louis, Malone and Vinny are both 32 now and past their primes, Purcell is a question mark caue he coudl repeat and get 65 points or he could go back to not making an impact and could be a 30-40 points guy, we'll see, and St. Louis isnt getting any younger, as he will turn 38 at some point next season.

Well see but I cant see any of those 3 teams making thr playoffs

vCash
    I fail to see where we got anything more than marginally better, especially compared to the other teams that were mentioned
    SPACE

vCash
    Streit in his worst year ever, Hamonic who missed 10 games and played half the season in a cage, Andrew MacDonald in a disappointing season, Steve Staios, Milan Jurcina, mark Eaton, Dylan Reese.

Mark Streit, who will be a legit #1 defenseman if he plays like he finished last year, Travis hamonic who's turning into a legit top pairing defenseman, Andrew MacDonald who will hopefully bounce back a little and play close to how he did in 10-11, Lubomir Visnovsky who is one of the best offensive defenseman in the NHL if he's fully healthy, Matt Donovan/Calvin De Haan who both have a LOT of potential and are our top 2 NHL ready defense prospects right now, and Matt Carkner who will bring much needed toughness and zie to our D.

If the D is just "marginally" better in your opinion then your opinion is just flat out wrong.

Lets talk about in goal now. Our #1 goalie only played 41 games last year. If he's healthy all year which shouldnt be too unlikely cause he's been pretty durable his whole career. He starts 60 games this year it's automatically an upgrade for 20 games. What Montoya gave us late last season and what DP gave us early in the seasona nd what Nilsson and Poulin gave us midseason were just brutal. Overall goaltending should be better.

Now on offense we improve as much as certain players want to bounce back. Jt we can count on for 30-35 goals and 80-85 points again minimum. Moulson 30-35 goals. Nielsen will be consistent like always. But let's look at all the players who pretty much HAVE to to better than last year: Okposo (0 goals in 1st 16 games last year, finished on fire), Grabner (34 as a rookie, 20 last year, can't have a much worse sophomore slump), Bailey (also finished last year hot), Reasoner (look at his career stats... Last year was an aberration), Nino (1 goal and 0 assists, legitimately cannot do worse), Boyes (coming off his worst season ever, didnt really geta shot in BUF) ETC ETC ETC

We improved on D a good amount, We'll improve in goal if Nabby can start 60 games, and we'll improve on offense maybe marginally but maybe significantly depending on whether people want to bounce back or not.

If you dont think the Isles could potentially be a much better team then you're just blinded by pessimism and memories of past expereinces with this team.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast