Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 31 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxDolphan26 View Post
    I'm not sure we should expect much in free agency.
    Ireland is the GM, we should never expect much in FA.

vCash

Question

Quote Originally Posted by LegendX View Post
    I was never expecting much, I've slowly been working on trying to come up with a list of players who we big name FAs and signed with another team and made a massive impact with their teams in the past decade or so, and the only players I can think of are Charles Woodson and Randy Moss (and he was a trade), other than them I can't really think of anybody else that has had a significant impact.

We still have to resign Jake Long, Randy Starks, Brian Hartline, Reggie Bush, Sean Smith, and like I said to Sox, most teams that are aggressive in FA and sign a lot of big names - or any big names for that matter - really aren't that successful when it comes to playoffs and Superbowls. This idea that we are going to go crazy in FA is crazy in itself.

Edit: Drew Brees is another FA that made an impact, although I personally feel that it was Sean Payton who provided Brees with the right influence to truly become great - and that's not to take away from the awesomeness that Brees has shown either.

Edit: Kurt Warner is another, but that is after many mixed results and after the Cardinals got Fitzgerald and Boldin going full steam.
    even when we sign our own guys we will have money to sign 2 or 3 big names and i expect us to do so.

idk bout past decade but i can think of a few in the past few yrs P Manning, R Bush, B Marshall, K Dansby, V Jackson, B Green-Ellis, B. LLoyd, C. Nicks, C. Finnegan, B. Carr, M. Vick, B. Favre, C. Lofton, E. Winston, K. Rivers, B. Edwards, C. Pennington, M. Lynch, J. Peppers, A. Rolle, K. Warner, B. Scott, F. Taylor, D. Sproles, N. Asomugha, DRC, A. Cromartie, J. Smith, R. Starks, A. Samuel, C. Clemons

oops should i stop?
    Take Notes Rook

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnicliffderek View Post
    even when we sign our own guys we will have money to sign 2 or 3 big names and i expect us to do so.

idk bout past decade but i can think of a few in the past few yrs P Manning, R Bush, B Marshall, K Dansby, V Jackson, B Green-Ellis, B. LLoyd, C. Nicks, C. Finnegan, B. Carr, M. Vick, B. Favre, C. Lofton, E. Winston, K. Rivers, B. Edwards, C. Pennington, M. Lynch, J. Peppers, A. Rolle, K. Warner, B. Scott, F. Taylor, D. Sproles, N. Asomugha, DRC, A. Cromartie, J. Smith, R. Starks, A. Samuel, C. Clemons

oops should i stop?
    We're talking significant impacts (helped a bad team become formidable) from free agency. I think Manning, Warner, Favre, Starks, Finnegan, and Lynch fit that bill. They were/are staples of their team and a main reason for the success of the offense/defense. I don't believe the rest of the guys you mentioned fit that description; some of them don't just because they were traded instead of being free agent pick ups.

Adopt-a-Dolphin: Brent Grimes - #21, CB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxDolphan26 View Post
    We're talking significant impacts (helped a bad team become formidable) from free agency. I think Manning, Warner, Favre, Starks, Finnegan, and Lynch fit that bill. They were/are staples of their team and a main reason for the success of the offense/defense. I don't believe the rest of the guys you mentioned fit that description; some of them don't just because they were traded instead of being free agent pick ups.
    Bush was traded bc they didnt want to lose him to someone else in FA but its the same thing. you dont think Justin Smith fit the bill? or darren sproles? or Peppers or Carr lol what.

some teams just have bad players in significant areas that make big splashes pointless. we have the nucleus with the good QB
    Take Notes Rook

vCash
    Bush was traded bc they didnt want to lose him to someone else in FA but its the same thing. you dont think Justin Smith fit the bill? or darren sproles? or Peppers or Carr lol what.

some teams just have bad players in significant areas that make big splashes pointless. we have the nucleus with the good QB
    I do think Justin Smith fits that description, I didn't see him on your list initially. The Bears already had a pretty decent pass rush before they signed Peppers and frankly, I think their rush only looks slightly better than it did before Peppers. The Saints already had a prolific offense before Sproles. He is a good playmaker for them, but Sproles doesn't make or break that team. I don't think Carr fits that much either. Receivers are still running through the Cowboys secondary, and with Claiborne, I'm not sure he has that much of an impact.

Adopt-a-Dolphin: Brent Grimes - #21, CB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Testino23 View Post
    Honestly couldnt remember but thanks. And I dont think Turner is overrated. Not a big fan of the guy really but I wouldnt call him overrated by any means. Hes just not flashy.

1,700 yards, 1,400, and 1,300 with 17, 12, 10, and 11 TD....cmon thats not overrated those are top RB in the league stats and they are consistent.
    See the problem is that you're looking at volume stats, the thing with Turner is that he has a lot of runs that don't go very far and then he gets lucky enough to break a big run, Atlanta fans hate him because he's had a good OL that blocks really well for him but Turner can't make anything of it. Go into the Falcons forum and ask if Turner is overrated and why, and if they say he's not then they're lying because I've seen them go on and on for years about how overrated he is.

vCash
    I don't find Turner overrated. He's a workhorse back who was that team's offense for a while. I really don't care what a couple fans on a forum have to say and they shouldn't be complaining either considering the success that team has had the past 4 years. Without Turner I can guarantee you they don't match that.

And they have had some "speed" backs who didn't really do squat. Jerious Norwood and Jacquizz Rodgers come to mind and Norwood didn't do much in his career there and Rodgers hasn't really yet.

Official Dolphins Draft Guru '11 & NFL Draft Guru '12

Enjoy hilarious podcasts about popculture, wrestling, and videogames? Check out the lasertime network at lasertimepodcast.com

vCash
    See the problem is that you're looking at volume stats, the thing with Turner is that he has a lot of runs that don't go very far and then he gets lucky enough to break a big run, Atlanta fans hate him because he's had a good OL that blocks really well for him but Turner can't make anything of it. Go into the Falcons forum and ask if Turner is overrated and why, and if they say he's not then they're lying because I've seen them go on and on for years about how overrated he is.
    I definitely feel that he's overrated. I had him on my fantasy team a couple of times and it forced me to watch the guy. You think DT33 runs with no power? I don't know how many times I've seen him first and goal from the 1, and they end up kicking from the 3. He is an awful short-yardage back IMO. He just amasses so many carries and short passes, that his stats look impressive. He can have a big game once in a while, but when the game is on the line, Matty-Ice has a better chance of running for 2 yards than Turner does. I have't been to the Falcon's forum, but I'd be willing to guess that they would say similar things.
    Thanks again Phins1983!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas_Phin1 View Post
    I definitely feel that he's overrated. I had him on my fantasy team a couple of times and it forced me to watch the guy. You think DT33 runs with no power? I don't know how many times I've seen him first and goal from the 1, and they end up kicking from the 3. He is an awful short-yardage back IMO. He just amasses so many carries and short passes, that his stats look impressive. He can have a big game once in a while, but when the game is on the line, Matty-Ice has a better chance of running for 2 yards than Turner does. I have't been to the Falcon's forum, but I'd be willing to guess that they would say similar things.
    Well apparently what Falcon's fans have to say about one of their own players isn't something to take into consideration They only watch the team every week and see what Turner does and doesn't do. He's a volume stats type of player, he needs a lot of carries to get a lot of yards, and that's the problem, people see the stats and think "Oh wow he's good", totally dismissing how many terrible runs he's had despite having a good, even great, run blocking O-Line and occasionally breaking off a good run. Turner is so vastly overrated it's ridiculous, and another problem with that is that most people always see the word "overrated" and instantly think that it means "he sucks".

vCash

oops should i stop?
    First of all, you're mentioning QBs when they have nothing to do with Miami seeing as we already have our QB, second, mentioning a QB is an easy way out an just adds numbers to your list, third, QBs are typically always going to have a positive impact on teams - the good ones.

Now on to the rest of your list:

Bush - Traded; Marshall - Traded; Dansby - No significant impact; V-Jax - hasn't made a significant impact; BGE - I haven't heard a thing about him, no major/significant impact; Lloyd - Overrated, always has been, Brady is making him better; Nicks - he's a guard that hasn't made a major impact; Finnegan - still has a ways to go, but still nothing major; Carr - Lololololololololol; Lofton - Yeah, that Saints D is ****ing amazing ; Winston - Lol another lineman that's done nothing spectacular; Rivers - Really dude...?; Edwards - he didn't have a major impact; Lynch - Finally you get one right; Peppers - no doubt he's good, but you've missed my point ENTIRELY; Rolle - One of the most overrated players in the league; Bryan Scott or Bart Scott? - Bart was nothing amazing, Bryan has had his moments; Taylor - LOL!!!!; Sproles - yeah he's good, but thanks for missing my point. Asmoghua - Hasn't been anything special; DRC - Traded; Cronartie - he's terrible; Smith - I could go into a lengthy discussion about all this, but to keep it short, he was good but wasn't great until the defensive scheme changed; Starks - He's been really good, but again my point has been missed; Samuel - Good, missed my point; Clemons - Uhh...who? I can't think which team right now.

So basically Derek you missed my point entirely, and I'll point out a few other things for you;

- Firstly my point was that most big name FAs don't have significant impacts, and by significant I mean they change the dynamic of the team on that side of the ball; the only players that have done such a thing in the past decade are Randy Moss and Charles Woodson, perhaps Terrell Owens ecause I'm feeling generous.

- Second, most of the players you've listed went to teams that were already good, and none have had massive impacts where they change the dynamic of the team.

- Third, and this is probably the most important as it pertains to us, most of the teams that have signed those players have only signed 1, maybe 2 at the most, and you're expecting us to be really aggressive and sign multiple big name FAs and expect us to dominate? Hell, just looking at the lost of names you can see most of the really strong teams haven't been crazy in FA, they've built through the draft.

I mean, this idea really isn't that hard to follow and it's been demonstrated quite well by most of the successful and unsuccessful teams. Most teams that are aggressive in FA and get the big names are typically unsuccessful (Look at the Redskins as a prime example) and teams that are successful are typically successful because they build through the draft and sign maybe 1 big name FA, however, most of the time they simply sign cheaper role players that fit their philosophies.

I really wish you would stop, please for the love of God, stop. You are one of the most ignorant and delusional posters on PSD and I know I have just wasted my time typing all this because no matter what I say you are going to completely dismiss it and stick to what you think, regardless of how wrong it is. Only reason I even responded to this is because Sox quoted you and I figured it'd be better for him and others to see rather than you because I know responding to you is only going to make me want to punch myself in the face for even trying to talk to you.

vCash
    oh snap

vCash
    Here, I'll throw out a name that you could argue was a massive acquisition;

Cameron Wake. But he's nowhere on the level of players like Moss & Woodson in terms of impact.

Ultimately most big name FAs do have a positive impact on teams, I'm not denying that and anybody that would is a moron, my point or question is, is that team winning BECAUSE of that player, or would they still be winning without that player/lesser player, albeit with a bit more of a struggle. The Raiders and Redskins have shown that spending big money on a lot of big name FAs isn't the way to go, whereas you look at teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Colts, Giants, Saints they're not aggressive in FA, they build through the draft, and perhaps make a trade here or there, also look at Houston and Atlanta as other good examples. Could even argue the 49ers with their only two big signings being Justin Smith and Carlos Rodgers, both of which weren't even big names when they signed.

vCash
    First of all, you're mentioning QBs when they have nothing to do with Miami seeing as we already have our QB, second, mentioning a QB is an easy way out an just adds numbers to your list, third, QBs are typically always going to have a positive impact on teams - the good ones.

Bush - Traded; Marshall - Traded; Dansby - No significant impact; V-Jax - hasn't made a significant impact; BGE - I haven't heard a thing about him, no major/significant impact; Lloyd - Overrated, always has been, Brady is making him better; Nicks - he's a guard that hasn't made a major impact; Finnegan - still has a ways to go, but still nothing major; Carr - Lololololololololol; Lofton - Yeah, that Saints D is ****ing amazing ; Winston - Lol another lineman that's done nothing spectacular; Rivers - Really dude...?; Edwards - he didn't have a major impact; Lynch - Finally you get one right; Peppers - no doubt he's good, but you've missed my point ENTIRELY; Rolle - One of the most overrated players in the league; Bryan Scott or Bart Scott? - Bart was nothing amazing, Bryan has had his moments; Taylor - LOL!!!!; Sproles - yeah he's good, but thanks for missing my point. Asmoghua - Hasn't been anything special; DRC - Traded; Cronartie - he's terrible; Smith - I could go into a lengthy discussion about all this, but to keep it short, he was good but wasn't great until the defensive scheme changed; Starks - He's been really good, but again my point has been missed; Samuel - Good, missed my point; Clemons - Uhh...who? I can't think which team right now.

So basically Derek you missed my point entirely, and I'll point out a few other things for you;

- Firstly my point was that most big name FAs don't have significant impacts, and by significant I mean they change the dynamic of the team on that side of the ball; the only players that have done such a thing in the past decade are Randy Moss and Charles Woodson, perhaps Terrell Owens ecause I'm feeling generous.

- Second, most of the players you've listed went to teams that were already good, and none have had massive impacts where they change the dynamic of the team.

- Third, and this is probably the most important as it pertains to us, most of the teams that have signed those players have only signed 1, maybe 2 at the most, and you're expecting us to be really aggressive and sign multiple big name FAs and expect us to dominate? Hell, just looking at the lost of names you can see most of the really strong teams haven't been crazy in FA, they've built through the draft.

I mean, this idea really isn't that hard to follow and it's been demonstrated quite well by most of the successful and unsuccessful teams. Most teams that are aggressive in FA and get the big names are typically unsuccessful (Look at the Redskins as a prime example) and teams that are successful are typically successful because they build through the draft and sign maybe 1 big name FA, however, most of the time they simply sign cheaper role players that fit their philosophies.

I really wish you would stop, please for the love of God, stop. You are one of the most ignorant and delusional posters on PSD and I know I have just wasted my time typing all this because no matter what I say you are going to completely dismiss it and stick to what you think, regardless of how wrong it is. Only reason I even responded to this is because Sox quoted you and I figured it'd be better for him and others to see rather than you because I know responding to you is only going to make me want to punch myself in the face for even trying to talk to you.
    1. trades still count
    2. oh i cant name QB's you never said that. thankfully i can name 50 other players if you like that are non QB's that have made impacts
    3. everybody i listed has made an impact
    4. Eagles are 3-1 half their team are free agents
    5. just bc a free agent is a bust on his new team does not mean all are. the ones who dont bust greatly outnumber the ones who do
    6.Chris Clemons? plays for Seattle? mauled Aaron Rodgers? ring a bell? idk if you just watch Miami games or are too busy watching soccer or rugby to notice that other NFL teams have rosters but im here if you need me to explain who any of the other players i listed are
    Take Notes Rook

vCash

That list of names hurts my head trying to read it.

vCash
    Pats arent aggressive? Brandon Lloyd ? Randy Moss?. Raiders and Redskins didnt have QB's or you could be singing a diff tune. notice how every team you listed that dont make much FA noise have QB's
    Last edited by tunnicliffderek; 10-04-2012 at 11:20 PM.
    Take Notes Rook

Page 31 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast