Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    We'll be fine. Dubi will bounce back and we have kreider for the whole season. Gonna be a defensive grind it out team anyway. That's what we were built to be. No one was going to make us an offensive jugernaut. We don't play that way.

vCash
    I too think Dubi will bounce back this year and go for 25 and 55, wherever he ends up. To tell you the truth, without making any moves there could be 7, possibly 8 guys on the roster next year who pot 20+ goals.

If you look at the lack of offense last year, it would have been substantially better if Stepan, Anisimov, and Dubi reached 20. That would have been an extra 17 goals, which doesn't sound like much, But it would have tied them with Detroit for 7th in the league at 239 goals. Nearly 3 per game.

I get the feeling that while they're definitely trying to add another premium scorer, that their could well be the feeling that the scoring they need is already in the room.

vCash
    Adding Whitney would have been a nice addition even at 40 he had right at 80 points and is great on the PP which we all know needs help.

vCash
    Everyone was saying we had about 20mil. To spend before we re-signed our own players. So I don't get how we couldn't have made a few signings. Let alone 1big signing. I looks like we actually lost/got worse.

vCash
    Dave Shapiro (@BlueSeatBlogs)
    7/5/12 1:33 PM
    This. RT @KamikazeSwede: @MattCalamia MDZ put up 41 points & +20. Weber; 49 points, +21. Lidström; 34 points, +21. People are way too harsh

Mdz also had 3 more goals then Suter and 5 less points.

vCash
    Suter is a much more complete d-man then MDZ though, as obviously is Lidstrom. The glaring difference between Liddy/Suter and MDZ is they have both been perennial Norris Trophy candidates.

MDZ is developing into a fine young offensive D-man, but I see his ceiling being Sergei Gonchar. Gonchar was a big ticket D, constantly ran the PP and put up big points but he was a slouch on the defensive side of the puck and at times a liability.
    New York Rangers - Atlanta Braves - New York Giants - Kobe Bryant

vCash
    Im not saying MDZ is as good defensively as they are but hes young and he learned in the AHL to stop swinging his stick at the puck and take the body. The rest will come plus hes the whipping boy so any mistake he makes is magnified.

vCash
    I still think in the end MDZ will be our most valuable D man..I don't part with him at all. It's hard to teach players when to jump into the play, he already knows this, it's much easier to teach a player how to defend than create offense. MDZ was much more physical last year, and he's only gonna get better. Plus it seems to me anyway that he's willing to learn, willing to do what it takes to become better.

vCash
    I agree with you guys to an extent, those are very fair assessments, but you have to remember Weber is already somewhere MDZ never may go, as far as his game is concerned. Even so, I'm sorry but I just do not see MDZ ever being a perennial-Norris Trophy candidate.

Weber is there. He's the elite. With Liddy gone now it's Chara, Weber and Karlsson creeping along behind. There are not many more on their level. Doughty and Keith perhaps knocking on the door and you can make the argument they're there. The list though is short, and MDZ is not there, and he never may be. Weber is young, elite and perhaps available.
    New York Rangers - Atlanta Braves - New York Giants - Kobe Bryant

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
    I agree with you guys to an extent, those are very fair assessments, but you have to remember Weber is already somewhere MDZ never may go, as far as his game is concerned. Even so, I'm sorry but I just do not see MDZ ever being a perennial-Norris Trophy candidate.

Weber is there. He's the elite. With Liddy gone now it's Chara, Weber and Karlsson creeping along behind. There are not many more on their level. Doughty and Keith perhaps knocking on the door and you can make the argument they're there. The list though is short, and MDZ is not there, and he never may be. Weber is young, elite and perhaps available.
    You could be right, the only thing is that we already have MDZ, we don't have to give up anything for him and to trade him and a host of others for a player he may become anyway doesn't entirely make much sense. If MDZ improves half as much as he did last year over the previous one, he'll be on his way to being as good as Weber very soon. I love Weber but he's been around longer, and it's taken him this much time to get to where he is, we should wait it out and see what MDZ can become, because as I said he's got all the tools to become our best D man and that says a lot.

vCash
    Besides the fact Weber will command 100Mill plus

vCash
    I just think acquiring weber would cost more then acquiring a player like nash. We would be left with way more holes trying to go for weber.

vCash
    If DelZotto was on another team we'd all be discussing how to get him...stick with what we got.

vCash
    Honestly, we really don't need upgrades on D. Sure, it would be nice to get a guy with a cannon shot from the point, but unfortunately, those guys are few and far between, and they cost...A LOT....

Honestly, it isn't so much about how hard you shoot, but whether you can get it through. I thought overall the D did a decent job of that, and in particular I thought Stralman showed he has a solid shot from the line. I think that MDZ, while he isn't the big hitting, big shooting guy you all want, has shown he is a pretty good 2 way defenseman, with room to improve. And he is probably our 4th best D-Man.

Weber, as good as he is, is in no way worth all the cost to get him. Don't even bother mentioning his name, him wearing a Ranger jersey is a pipe dream. Would demolish our roster, and/or farm, and our salary cap for the next decade. No thanks...

vCash
    Shadyone, I agree with you on that, if anything as I stated in one of the other threads, Id see if the Jets would have any interest in moving Buff for Staal with maybe a prospect involved. Only because I fear Staal leaving in 3 years. Buff is locked up for 4 at 5.2 and brings everything Weber does. Same age, Bigger, shoots just as hard, right handed, and is from MN, like several of our players.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast