Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Next season changes

I know this season just started and a lot of things can change before the offseason begins, but the future always looks brighter than present or past. The wild don't have a lot of ufas or rfas from big club, I'm just interested to know who you guys think they bring back, trade, or promote.

vCash
    I'm guessing Cullen, Bouchard, and Backstrom will not be back. I see them resigning Clutterbuck, Spurgeon, and Scandella. The interesting part is do they bring back Gilbert and Stoner? See how Setoguchi produces maybe trade him? What do you guys think?

vCash
    I hope they bring PMB back. It would be nice to get him on the cheap. His current $4 million per year hit sounds a little ridiculous considering his injuries, but this player was the one who got 63 points in a season prior to his injury concerns. If he plays well this season, he may end up commanding too much money though. I am thinking something like a 2 year contract with us (making his contract expire before Coyle and Granlund need extensions), and $2 million hit...may be too much of wishful thinking though.

For Clutterbuck, the FO may have a tough decision to make about bringing back a fan favorite, who may ask for too much money. I could see him asking for more than $2 million, for about 4 years.

Backstrom and Cullen are almost as good as gone...though, I think it is possible for the organization to attempt to give out two year contracts to any of our free agents...2 years again, makes them gone before Granlund, Coyle, Brodin, etc... need to be resigned.

vCash
    Guess I'm torn about Bouchard, I know he's talented but with his injury history I don't know that it's worth the risk. I think it would be a mistake not to sign Clutterbuck, even at 2.2 for four years. He can score goals and would have trade value down the road if they wanted to bring someone up from the minors.Cullen not worth resigning at his age and with the talent we have in the minors. If we could get Backstrom at a huge discount maybe but I don't see that happening. I think one of the younger goalies should be able to step into a back up roll next year, but we'll have to see what happens with Harding and his Ms, we might need to sign a goalie if he or youngsters aren't able to take the reigns.

vCash
    This is kinda off track but why not see if Toronto has any interest in Backstrom? He has comparable numbers to luongo but the wouldn't be on the hook fot the next 10years and could resign him if they wanted for less than luongos price tag?

vCash
    Trade proposal: NYI send Grabner, Moulson, Nabokov to wild for Cullen, Setoguchi, Backstrom, Bagnall, and Jarrod Palmer.

vCash
    I would do that trade but the islanders never would or should. Grabner's speed with a playmaker like Parise would be scary. Moulson im not high on but he is better then setoguchi right now. Goalies ive always been a fan of Nabby but he is pretty equal to Backstrom. I just dont see NYI doing that.

vCash
    What you think it would take?

vCash
    Think we should try to resign Backstrom on the cheap for 2-3 years. Cullen for 2 years for discount for third line.
    Trade Heater, Gilbert, and Stoner.
    I hate to even say this one but we gotta do something with Harding, I feel for the guy, but business wise, can we rely on him to be there?
    If we get the players on the cheap and are able to trade others for defensive help, we can sign a top six forward or two and give ourselves scoring depth through 3 lines, and improve defensively.

vCash

2nd line Center

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco1 View Post
    Think we should try to resign Backstrom on the cheap for 2-3 years. Cullen for 2 years for discount for third line.
    Trade Heater, Gilbert, and Stoner.
    I hate to even say this one but we gotta do something with Harding, I feel for the guy, but business wise, can we rely on him to be there?
    If we get the players on the cheap and are able to trade others for defensive help, we can sign a top six forward or two and give ourselves scoring depth through 3 lines, and improve defensively.
    I'm all for keeping Backstrom as long as the price is right.. I'm not sure exactly what the right price is.. but it certianly is not 6 mill per... Cullen was doing very well this year then got hurt.. but even with "Him doing well" he was still not very consistent.. that has been a dig no him since he got here. Very spotty.. a couple weeks of great.. a couple weeks of average mixed with some injury time here and there.. No one will take Heater.. I've been an advocate for it on other threads, but I just don't think people will do it with his cap hit. The team does miss his presence though.. you can see it the past couple of games. We need a #2 Center.. Badly... Granlund has potential.. but he just doesn't have the physicality to sitck in the play yet.. Brodzy is a good 3rd liner. but not a #2.. I don't think they get much for Gilbert in a trade.. He sure hasn't played much to deserve it.. He may even be a buyout candidate.. There don't appear to be a ton of good 2nd line centers on the market this year either..

I think with Zucker or Coyle on the 2nd line with Seto on the other site we have scoring depth both have performed well this year.. but they need a Center Playing at the top of his game. When Granlund was up they struggled. Cullen went to C Gran went to the AHL they picked up their games. Granlund is back since Cullen his hurt and the "scoring depth" argument has come back.

vCash
    We Will Let Our expiring Veterans Go, Like Clutterbuck, Cullen And PMB, And Use That expiring Money To Get A Top Notch defenseman. In Place Of Losing Those Veterans, Coyle, Zucker And Granlund Become Everyday Players...And The New Wave Of Prospects Such as Phillips, Lucia And Haula Get Sprinkled In Throughout The Season. i Think Heatley Comes Back In PaRt Because We CaNt Find A Trade Partner, And Because After losing ThRee Top Forwards, We Are Running A Little Low On Options. This gives Us Something Like
    Parise, Koivu, Pominville
    Zucker, Granlund, Coyle
    Heatley, Brodziak, seto
    Rupp, Konopka, Mitchell

Suter, Big Free Agent Acquisition
    Brodin, Spurgeon
    Gilbert, Stoner
    Last edited by PurpleJesus; 04-12-2013 at 07:46 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleJesus View Post
    We Will Let Our expiring Veterans Go, Like Clutterbuck, Cullen And PMB, And Use That expiring Money To Get A Top Notch defenseman. In Place Of Losing Those Veterans, Coyle, Zucker And Granlund Become Everyday Players...And The New Wave Of Prospects Such as Phillips, Lucia And Haula Get Sprinkled In Throughout The Season. i Think Heatley Comes Back In PaRt Because We CaNt Find A Trade Partner, And Because After losing ThRee Top Forwards, We Are Running A Little Low On Options. This gives Us Something Like
    Parise, Koivu, Pominville
    Zucker, Granlund, Coyle
    Heatley, Brodziak, seto
    Rupp, Konopka, Mitchell

Suter, Big Free Agent Acquisition
    Brodin, Spurgeon
    Gilbert, Stoner
    Clutterbuck is a restricted free agent.. There is no way they just let him walk at the end of the year. He gets a slight raise and at least a 2 year deal. If the price is right I wouldn't be supprised if they can bring Cullen back on a short deal eitehr.. He likes being at home and has been a big part of the 2nd line.. We are a possible Contender next year also..
    If we roll with Gradlund as our 2nd line center.. He had better improve a lot.. While he has been there the team has struggled.. He has been a healthy scratch and send down a hand full of times.. I would rather see them sign a top caliber 2nd line Center and mid-D and or see what happens with Dumba this coming year. I doubt he is a Top pair guy yet.. but he doesn't need to be.. If Brodin improves at all.. Or doesn't improve and just becomes more consistent we are in good shape on D.

I'm VERY interested to see if the Buy out Heater or not.. And even Gilbert the way he has been playing.. But with the ability for buy outs and a lot of teams that are actually going to be at/under the Cap already next year.. the Free Agent Market could get ugly (expensive) in a real hurry.

vCash
    I wouldnt be worried with Granlund centering the 2nd line next year. He is going to have the whole off season to bulk up, work out with team mates and then a full training camp and pre season. With Coyle and Zuckers flexibility we could go Granlund-Coyle-Zucker too for that second line as Coyle is a natural C and they seem to want to start using him there more.

The acquisition of Pominville is writing on the wall for at least PMB, which makes me sad I wish we could keep him for a discount. Backstrom will be interesting though as well as Cullen. I think if we want to keep either of those guys Heatley will have to be traded.

Gilbert has not been as bad as your making him sound. And please tell me a UFA next year that we can get for 4m cap hit that is better then him? Also again barring a fantastic summer Dumba will not be ready for the NHL. Yes he was kept up here but that was mainly for learning and watching and getting a taste of what to expect and what he needs to work on.

vCash
    And to clarify when I say Dumba needs to have a big summer I mean it in a literal sense. He needs to put on at least 15 lbs preferably 20. If he doesnt do this he did something wrong over the summer. He is too small to play the syle of game he plays right now, I would like to see him try one of those open ice hits he makes on an NHL sized forward. Hint....it wont go well.

vCash
    Hello, random Leaf fan here wondering if i can get an answer to a question... hows PMB been doing this season? I've always liked his game and think he could be a decent add for us in FA if you guys don't re-sign him. I know he has crazy talent and think he would be a fit with Kessel. PMB would easily be his most talented centre he's had while here. I know of his injury history too but based on what i've read recently i assume he's getting back to his former level.
    Skating circles around the NHL since 2013/2014

To be continued...?

\_(ツ)_/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast