Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Sabres Get OTT, SCOTT & PARDY

IT Only took Darcy 7-years, but he finally figured out that the Sabres need to get bigger and tougher to compete in the NHL. Now lets hope he gets us a Center.

The way it stands now, we are screwed, so Another trade has to be coming. Our season cannot start with Grigorenko, Ennis, Hodgson, McCormick. Sabres already reported, Ott is here to be a winger and he was on WGR saying he is more comfortable at winger.

vCash
    Darcy said what position Ott plays is up to Ruff. He may be the third line center.

Logically the Sabres would want another center, but there really aren't any available that would fit. The only one might be Kesler, but I don't think Vancouver wants to trade with Buffalo after they got destroyed on the last trade.

There has to be a trade coming because the Sabres have, what, 11 defensemen right now?

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

vCash
    I know there have been talks abut bobby ryan... But I think Roy would have had to been part of that deal

vCash
    We are definitely overstocked on defensemen right now - trade bait. As for Ryan, I am becoming more and more against getting him. He would not fit in Lindy's game plan - too much two way play expected of him and his offensive talent would be supressed.

Like Roy or not, he was our #1 center. Ennis was just getting into the center position and Hodgson is not there yet. Grigerenko probably won't be ready this year (I hope he is, but....) I am still high on Paul Stastny - I would take him over Bobby Ryan if a deal can be swung.

Here's my trade:
    Paul Stastny ($6,600,00 salary cap cost) for

Andrej Sekera/Drew Stafford ($6,750,000 cost) OR
    Andrej Sekera/Ville Leino ($7,250,000 cost)

Colorado gets two players that can start and help, we get a center that is sorely needed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by daleawalker View Post
    We are definitely overstocked on defensemen right now - trade bait. As for Ryan, I am becoming more and more against getting him. He would not fit in Lindy's game plan - too much two way play expected of him and his offensive talent would be supressed.

Like Roy or not, he was our #1 center. Ennis was just getting into the center position and Hodgson is not there yet. Grigerenko probably won't be ready this year (I hope he is, but....) I am still high on Paul Stastny - I would take him over Bobby Ryan if a deal can be swung.

Here's my trade:
    Paul Stastny ($6,600,00 salary cap cost) for

Andrej Sekera/Drew Stafford ($6,750,000 cost) OR
    Andrej Sekera/Ville Leino ($7,250,000 cost)

Colorado gets two players that can start and help, we get a center that is sorely needed.
    I think it would have to be Sekera/Leino/Prospect(Brennan or Pysyk) and maybe a pick.

Good point though... Stastny is essentially the same player as Roy. It would have been nice to try to trade Roy for Stastny and then D for Ott.

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

vCash
    What I hate about Western teams is that I do not know a lot of details on players - just do not see them enough. I feel that Stastny would be a better player than Roy - more offense and skill - but I do not know that. Also there is the personality in the locker room, which I feel is just as important as hockey skills. I do not know what kinda person he is in the locker room.

I would not give up too much more for him - perhaps throw in Luke Adam as the prospect and try to get a third round pick back. If they do not go for it, start the season with Hodgson and Ennis as your #1 and #2 centers and see how it works. If Grigorenko makes the team its even better! If Ennis fizzles and goes back to wing or Hodgson flops, then consider giving up a bit more to get Stastny.

Oh to be a fly on the wall in Darcy's office right now......

vCash
    I don't think any centers are really available. Trading wingers doesn't really make sense, because they're not going to get much better than what we have.

I think Darcy geared up for a trade and now can't really figure out who to go after. I don't see anyone giving us a good player for a bunch of bottom/middle pair Dmen.

For now:

Pominville - Hodgson - Vanek
    Stafford - Ennis - Foligno
    Leino - Grigorenko - Ott
    Gerbe - McCormick - Scott

Scratch -Ellis, Kaleta (if we sign him)
    Call Ups - Adam, Tropp, Turnbull

Myers - McNabb
    Ehrhoff - Sulzer
    Leopold - Regehr

Scratch - Sekera, Pardy, Weber, Brennan
    Call Ups - Pysyk, Finley

So, if the Sabres sign/trade for a right wing (Ryan, Semin, Doan, Nash) then they have to trade Leino, Stafford, or Gerbe. I don't think that is likely to happen because contract (Leino), team chemistry (Stafford) or fan favorite (Gerbe).

If they sign/trade for a left wing (I don't know who is even left that is available, Evander Kane?) then either Vanek goes or Foligno gets buried for the year.

There aren't any good UFA centers left really, unless you want to take a shot at a guy like Gilbert Brule.

-Scott van Pelt