Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    I agree McJoe. He should really be around the 3 mil range but this market has inflated his value.

vCash
    The cap did raise 9% and so salaries should follow, but defensemen have seemed to raise significantly more than that.

vCash
    Love it.

Obviously his point totals were inflated this season, but we aren't paying him to score.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carson005 View Post
    Love it.

Obviously his point totals were inflated this season, but we aren't paying him to score.
    We're not? That was my question from earlier in the thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Well we're paying him to fill a void on the PP, but from what I've read he's actually really good defensively and will not be a liability.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    This signing has made me really happy. I'm so glad we got him, especially after missing on Schultz and losing Salo.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    No. His strength is defensive hockey believe it or not. He has played tough defensive minutes consistently over the last 3 years. He would have been a target for us even before this "breakout" season. It actually sucks because we end up paying him more than we would have.

vCash
    Last season, Jason Garrison scored 16 goals, and added 17 assists while playing on Brian Campbell's right-side. He shot a ludicrous 9.6% in the regular seasons - a totally unsustainable number - and for the most part his point production is a mirage. Before you let your imagination run wild, know this: Jason Garrison is not a "power-play quarterback" and he is not, in all likelihood, a guy who will regularly score 10 goals per season or put up forty points.

What he does do, however, is post terrific possession numbers while bringing a degree of versatility to the blueline, which, the Canucks have lacked over the past several seasons. In 2010/11 he played the left-side with Mike Weaver, they were tasked with Florida's most difficult minutes, and they combined to form one of the best, under-rated shutdown defensive pairings in the NHL. This past season, he bumped over to play the right-side on a more offensively oriented defensive pairing with Brian Campbell - and he produced offense, while tilting the ice in Florida's favour. In short, Garrison is a swiss army knife blueliner, who can do a little bit of everything, and he brings with him an absolute cannonade point shot for good measure.

I figured before the offseason that if you were going to "buy high" in free-agency, you could do significantly worse than Jason Garrison - a guy who at least posted excellent underlying numbers over the past two seasons, and who brings a lot of versatility to the roster. Mike Gillis didn't just make a good bet today, he legitimately convinced Jason Garrison to sign for significantly below market value as well. This is just a massive, massive win for the Canucks, and their General Manager.
    http://canucksarmy.com/2012/7/1/jaso...seman-afterall
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash

vCash
    I think when you get someone like Garrison who might be blooming right now at the right net value and save some change it's worth it. He had a nice season last year and is very much an uptempo presense. Now we just need Edler signed and then our top four is at least here for 3 years.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    Read both, but it's one less guy that Detroit has to retool their defense with. They're getting older and the Canucks are staying relatively young. Now we just need something in the offensive department. I really wanted them to snag McClement to replace Pahlsson.

vCash
    He sounds like he could be another Hamhuis with a rocket of a shot. Nothing to hate about this deal. Even if his offensive game declines, he can still log heavy minutes and play a solid defensive game. Plus, he'll get a lot of opportunities playing on the PP..

<3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    At 4.6, Garrison is overpaid, but its a STEAL for the Canucks in this market. I read it on twitter too but without having read it, I can guarantee you he got Wideman money from somebody. SHOCKED that he turned that down but also happy to see someone actually choose a team to play for over a few million rather than just go for the money.
    That's a very fair assessment. Adding another defensemen in his prime to a defense that is around that same age is solid. I like his addditon to the top four. It made the Canucks better IMO. He obviously has to reproduce last season but this is a good signing.

vCash
    This is a video of all of Garrison's goals (16).

<3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12