Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Jordan Staal traded to Carolina

The Penguins have traded Jordan Staal to the Carolina Hurricanes for C Brandon Sutter, D Brian Dumoulin and the 8th pick in the 2012 NHL draft, which they used to select D Derrick Pouliot.

Use this thread to discuss the Staal trade so we don't clutter up the off season thread.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Good return for Staal. Personally I think the Canes GM needs fired for trading his 1st round pick. They were basically bidding against them self it was quite clear that Carolina was the only place he was going to sign an extension at.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    Brandon Sutter - C - Penguins
    The Penguins nabbed Brandon Sutter from the Hurricanes, along with prospect Brian Dumoulin and their eighth-overall pick in this year's draft, in a deal that jetissoned Jordan Staal.
    It's never easy to let a young star leave, but Pens general manager Ray Shero received a decent haul for their budding superstar. While the 23-year-old Sutter doesn't offer the same offensive upside as Staal, he is adept defensively and has some promise from a scoring-output standpoint. He had 17 goals and 32 points in 2011-12 and posted 21 goals and 40 points his sophomore year in the league. More of a shutdown center, Sutter was 50.5 percent on faceoffs this season and also received more short-handed ice time than any Carolina forward.
    Derrick Pouliot - D - Penguins
    The Pittsburgh Penguins have taken Derrick Pouliot, with the eighth selection in the 2012 draft, after receiving the pick in a big trade that saw Jordan Staal head to Carolina.
    Pouliot is one of the best skaters in the draft. He doesn't have elite speed, but his balance and ability to change direction are unmatched by most. His tremendous poise helps him excel at skating the puck out of trouble. Pouliot also has offensive upside evidenced by his 59 points in 72 games with Portland this season. His skating ability allows him to lead the rush and he almost always makes the right first-pass. He even contributed on special teams, leading the power play unit for his club. However, Pouliot must continue to work on his defensive game, while adding more strength and muscle to his frame. Nevertheless, he's produced at all levels he has competed in and will be a nice addition to the Penguins' back end.
    rotoworld

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    will miss staal but great haal whats the d man we got look like is he a defensive d man
    crap whats is my name

vCash
    Ya i like the trade Sutter is good and the 8th pick should be good no idea who the other guy is anyone got info on him

vCash
    On hockeysfuture.com it says Dumoulin is a offensive defenseman but according to Shero and Penguins.com it says he is the most defensive defenseman. Penguins.com says
    "Dumoulin is a classic defensive defenseman cut in the mold of former Penguin Rob Scuderi, even down to their alma mater. Dumoulin, the 51st-overall pick by Carolina in 2009, played the past three years with Boston College where he twice won the NCAA national title (2010, ’12) as well as being a two-time Hockey East Best Defensive Defenseman (2011, ’12).
    “He’s a big defenseman, 6-foot-4. Our scouts have really liked this kid,” Shero said. “He signed a contract with Carolina so that transfers to us for next year. We’re looking forward to having him at training camp and development camp this summer and turning pro next year with the Penguins.”

vCash
    Honestly, I think this deal was terrible. Not nearly enough for Staal.

vCash
    It was this or nothing. He would have left. I wish we got more but we got a ok return.