Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
Results 316 to 330 of 345

Thread: Free Agency:

  1. #316
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Posts
    12,007
    vCash
    1623

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by benjirh View Post
    Come to the dark side!

    I love Gino and I want him to finish here, but I don't want to pay him 16mil over the next two years, and definitely not 12mil next year.

    I actually did some digging and here are some updated info on Gino's situation.

    on the 7.5:
    A contract cannot decrease by more than 7.5% each year. However that is based off of an initial year amount. So technically Gino will be getting a new contract deal since this years salary is already established. So he can sign for any amount this coming year and any subsequent years can only decrease by 7.5%.

    on the 3yr anniversary:
    I am unsure how to read this one. Technically there is a 3yr wait from signed extension, but what if the extension isn't for 4 years? How can you wait three years to extend if you are coming off of a two year extension? So I believe this is right, but I wonder if this is different since he is in the final year of his deal. Just curious.

    Over-36 rule:
    Here is a rule that could affect Gino. Because the NBA assumes that people will eventually retire, players who get extensions/salaries that go beyond the age of 36 get factored differently in cap, basically money for later years gets calculated during actual played years. However, this may only be for four year contract extensions, so I am not completely sure that it will apply here.

    Got all this info from Coon. Great site. No matter what, Gino is probably going to cost us. That was part of my point is that if we re-sign Gino for 2 yrs, then why not keep Jax around. We have no money and we are sticking with consistency, so giving him 2 more years at a reasonable deal doesn't bother me. All these changes still makes me wonder how we are going to find ourselves a solid big.
    Nice info here.

    Manu is a fan favorite, and has such a physical and mental toughness aspect to the game that not many have on this team. I don't want to over pay him either, and I think if he's injured again this year or doesn't perform well, we might be able to offer him less.

    I can't see any extension being discussed yet until at least mid way thru the season. I think in order to find a big, it'll have to be via trade or trying to get luck with free agency near the deadline.

  2. #317
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Posts
    12,007
    vCash
    1623
    Spurs starters: Joseph, Green, Leonard, Brown, Curry

    No TP, TD, Manu, or Bonner tonight vs Hawks...

    Time for guys to make their presence felt

    James Anderson starting for Hawks

  3. #318
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Posts
    12,007
    vCash
    1623
    More info on Jack/Manu getting extensions. Or not yet...

    http://www.poundingtherock.com/2012/...act-extensions

  4. #319
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Goshen, IN
    Posts
    1,956
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by kdspurman View Post
    More info on Jack/Manu getting extensions. Or not yet...

    http://www.poundingtherock.com/2012/...act-extensions
    Thanks for the article. Not bad, but I still disagree about the 7.5 rule. People may be right on this but I have yet to see anyone point out where they get this info.

    I do agree though that the FO definitely has the upper hand in waiting. Gino will get offers but we can match anything thrown out there since we have his rights and we will also have cap room. And Jack isn't getting major money anywhere, he is older, at a position dominated by youth, a questionable locker room presence, and coming off the bench. Why show our hand now. Wait to see what the FA and draft classes look like. Wait to see what teams are willing to shed contracts. Wait to see how Green and Leonard and De Colo handle the playoffs this year. Wait to see what Splitter is. There is no need to rush.

  5. #320
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    776
    vCash
    1500
    I agree that 7.5% is an odd rule and I've never heard of it before. Didn't Duncan do from 21 mil last year to 12 mil now, that much more than 7.5 rule. Anyways Manu isn't going anywhere and he won't mind waiting after the season to see where the spurs stand in building for future. The thing with Jack is I think it's a publicity stunt with him saying what he did. His rap cd is about to come out, so I'm hoping that's the case, but I have no idea why he thinks he deserves a new contract, barely playing half a season with us. But if he's looking for money, it won't be with the spurs, I'm just assuming the spurs won't pay him more than 5 mil after this season
    Quote of the playoffs "Penetration always leads to something good"

  6. #321
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Goshen, IN
    Posts
    1,956
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TRF929 View Post
    I agree that 7.5% is an odd rule and I've never heard of it before. Didn't Duncan do from 21 mil last year to 12 mil now, that much more than 7.5 rule. Anyways Manu isn't going anywhere and he won't mind waiting after the season to see where the spurs stand in building for future. The thing with Jack is I think it's a publicity stunt with him saying what he did. His rap cd is about to come out, so I'm hoping that's the case, but I have no idea why he thinks he deserves a new contract, barely playing half a season with us. But if he's looking for money, it won't be with the spurs, I'm just assuming the spurs won't pay him more than 5 mil after this season
    Duncan's deal was a new contract, signed after he became a free agent, so maybe that does show that you can't sign an extension for less. I never thought about that. Why make Duncan wait?

    I don't think he is assuming he deserves a new fat contract. I think he is just looking for stability. He sees KMart and and knows that getting a new deal in FA is no walk in the park. He also enjoys SA and so he is basically saying that he hopes to be here for his last few years. I don't think it is malicious. Finally, he knows that he is the ideal trade bait - massive expiring contract. I think he is trying to make it clear he doesn't want to leave midseason.

    I cant imagine that expects more than that. Maybe he wants the full MLE but most likely that is the max he is expecting because that is the max a team over the cap can give. And he knows that at this stage he is not a number 1 option nor does he want to be on a rebuilding team. I think he stays as long as we are doing this 'one final push' thing.

  7. #322
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    776
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by benjirh View Post
    Duncan's deal was a new contract, signed after he became a free agent, so maybe that does show that you can't sign an extension for less. I never thought about that. Why make Duncan wait?

    I don't think he is assuming he deserves a new fat contract. I think he is just looking for stability. He sees KMart and and knows that getting a new deal in FA is no walk in the park. He also enjoys SA and so he is basically saying that he hopes to be here for his last few years. I don't think it is malicious. Finally, he knows that he is the ideal trade bait - massive expiring contract. I think he is trying to make it clear he doesn't want to leave midseason.

    I cant imagine that expects more than that. Maybe he wants the full MLE but most likely that is the max he is expecting because that is the max a team over the cap can give. And he knows that at this stage he is not a number 1 option nor does he want to be on a rebuilding team. I think he stays as long as we are doing this 'one final push' thing.
    If that's the case, I don't see either getting an extension and just resigning them next summer for lower amounts. Sounds simple enough, we at least know Manu won't be going anywhere either way. I do see where your going with Jax and being a huge trade bait mid season, but the spurs don't owe him anything, he decided to leave the first time he was here, so why do a favor for him when he didn't do use any favors. I'd trade him, bonner and Blair in a heart beat if it was to bring us a good big man. I do like Jax though and hopes he stays but spurs have bigger ties keeping others, leaving him the only decent bargain trade wise. Spurs rarely do things in helping them get more talent in the future (like trading Manu for younger talent or picks) but Jax is no Manu and has nowhere near the following in SA as Manu does.
    Quote of the playoffs "Penetration always leads to something good"

  8. #323
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    776
    vCash
    1500
    Quick question. If we did trade him, it's now a rule they can't sign back with the same team that traded him after that season, right?
    Quote of the playoffs "Penetration always leads to something good"

  9. #324
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Goshen, IN
    Posts
    1,956
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TRF929 View Post
    Quick question. If we did trade him, it's now a rule they can't sign back with the same team that traded him after that season, right?
    I think you meant "they can't sign back with the same team that traded him until after that season"

    If that is what you are saying, then right. They can't re-sign traded players during the same season. There is no more "waiting period." So, Jax could be traded and then re-signed in the offseason, but I am not sure that would happen. The whole point of having Jax is for the playoffs. His clutch shooting is what we needed and if we trade him before the playoffs I think that we are signifying that he is done with the team.

  10. #325
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Goshen, IN
    Posts
    1,956
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TRF929 View Post
    If that's the case, I don't see either getting an extension and just resigning them next summer for lower amounts.
    Updated info. I think what we are dealing with here is a renegotiation with Manu and Jax. And in this case a team can "renegotiate and extend" with the first year of the extension being no more than 40% less than the final year of the previous contract.

    Manu 12/13 ~ 14.1mil
    Manu 13/14 ~ 8.5mil

    Jax 12/13 ~ 10mil
    Jax 12/13 ~ 6mil

    Both numbers still feel a little high to me, but not outrageous. I would more appreciate a 7-8 range for Gino and a 4-5 range for Jax.

  11. #326
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    776
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by benjirh View Post
    I think you meant "they can't sign back with the same team that traded him until after that season"

    If that is what you are saying, then right. They can't re-sign traded players during the same season. There is no more "waiting period." So, Jax could be traded and then re-signed in the offseason, but I am not sure that would happen. The whole point of having Jax is for the playoffs. His clutch shooting is what we needed and if we trade him before the playoffs I think that we are signifying that he is done with the team.
    Gotcha. I was thinking he couldn't comeback for a year after trade, not allowing us to re-sign. I see where your coming from come playoff time, but it would all depend on the player we'd get if traded. I mean a big, I think, would be more helpful come playoff time than Jax in limited time. I'm with you though that if he's traded, he wouldn't be coming back next year.
    Quote of the playoffs "Penetration always leads to something good"

  12. #327
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    776
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by benjirh View Post
    Updated info. I think what we are dealing with here is a renegotiation with Manu and Jax. And in this case a team can "renegotiate and extend" with the first year of the extension being no more than 40% less than the final year of the previous contract.

    Manu 12/13 ~ 14.1mil
    Manu 13/14 ~ 8.5mil

    Jax 12/13 ~ 10mil
    Jax 12/13 ~ 6mil

    Both numbers still feel a little high to me, but not outrageous. I would more appreciate a 7-8 range for Gino and a 4-5 range for Jax.
    Either way, I would feel more comfortable signing them after the season.we have more info, Manu's health and the production we plan on seeing as they're a year older and KL being more involved and playing more, lessening Jax play time.

    Yes that's the right range for Manu, asking 6mil would be ideal for spurs and him helping the rebuild process. I think it depends on how well green does this year and de colo (the next Manu lol). Exact range for Jax
    Quote of the playoffs "Penetration always leads to something good"

  13. #328
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    776
    vCash
    1500
    With josh smith recently stating that he won't sign an extension and going through free agency next summer, do you think that's a player we should maybe target? Idk how much money we have to spend next year, but is it even possible getting him while keeping Manu
    Quote of the playoffs "Penetration always leads to something good"

  14. #329
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Goshen, IN
    Posts
    1,956
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TRF929 View Post
    With josh smith recently stating that he won't sign an extension and going through free agency next summer, do you think that's a player we should maybe target? Idk how much money we have to spend next year, but is it even possible getting him while keeping Manu
    I think so. Depends on the money Gino wants and how the spurs view him as part of their plan. I will have to check out the money thing again, but we should have a fair ammount to play with this summer. Also depends on several factors that no one can predict. What will Diaw and Mills do with their contracts? What will we do with the options for Splitter, Blair, Neal, and Joseph? Will they amnesty Bonner? These decisions can be a roughly 15million dollar swing.

  15. #330
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    776
    vCash
    1500
    Just glancing at the team salaries, we'd have $25 mil with Manu and Jax contracts coming off. Bonner roughly $4 mil amnestied, and Diaw I don't see going anywhere with his $5 mil, so maybe $30 mil to sign Smith and whoever else, I think we could do it and maybe keeping Jax. Spurs do wonders with their cap, so fingers crossed.

    A possible lineup of
    Parker
    Manu
    Kawhi
    Smith
    Duncan

    Sounds good to me, likely lineup at end of games
    Quote of the playoffs "Penetration always leads to something good"

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •