Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 51 of 158 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    figured it was worth noting.
    For 7m/13 years they can have him. Thats just an insane length and has cap issues written all over it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillysports101 View Post
    As far as last year goes, FLA was better.

LA does have Quick and Doughty, but the rest of the defense was pretty rock solid.

I thought the whole point was top 10 last year. The Flyers were NOT a top 10 defense last year. I agree with Ace's general point, although the finding value is lesser players for more production is throwing me for a loop. Its easier said then done.
    I never said it was easy to do -- but my point is that we have done it with great success at the forward positons because the organization has dedicated time & resources to it.

When the Flyers made signings at the forward positions, even (for instance) Jagr, the price was right and the production was there to justify the cost.

Do you think Holmgren just made that signing on a whim? No. He had scouts and player personnel experts telling him that Jagr could return to the NHL and play at a high level based on what they had seen overseas. He had trainers and coaches telling him that they could work with Jagr to help him develop his skill set for today's NHL.

Ditto for trades for Voracek and Simmonds. Ditto for undrafted FA signings like Bob. It seems the only area this team is weak at scouting and developing is defense, and the result of that general weakness is a tendency to pay players too much for too little production.

vCash
    IF the independent arbitrater in 1985 decides Quebec's deal with NYR was the legal one then we never make the Lindros trade and win 6 cups with Forsberg, Hextall, Duchesne, Ricci, etc.

We are all but ball-bearings in the cosmic tumbler...
    PROUD CHARTER MEMBER: Phillies PSD HAll of Fame, Class of '08.
    [

ALL YOUR ACE ARE BELONG TO US.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    I never said it was easy to do -- but my point is that we have done it with great success at the forward positons because the organization has dedicated time & resources to it.

When the Flyers made signings at the forward positions, even (for instance) Jagr, the price was right and the production was there to justify the cost.

Do you think Holmgren just made that signing on a whim? No. He had scouts and player personnel experts telling him that Jagr could return to the NHL and play at a high level based on what they had seen overseas. He had trainers and coaches telling him that they could work with Jagr to help him develop his skill set for today's NHL.

Ditto for trades for Voracek and Simmonds. Ditto for undrafted FA signings like Bob. It seems the only area this team is weak at scouting and developing is defense, and the result of that general weakness is a tendency to pay players too much for too little production.
    Good young forwards are much more abundant and easier to come by. It takes a lot longer for a young defenseman to develop and part of the reason we have a reasonable cap hit up front is that guys like Schenn, Couts, Read, Voracek and Wellwood were able to step into significant roles at a young age. It is rare to find a 20 year old defenseman that can step in and play big minutes like Couts and Schenn did in the playoffs. Why do you think the first player in the draft to go was the guy with the best talent and after that it was a string of defenseman?

vCash
    1985?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    IF the independent arbitrater in 1985 decides Quebec's deal with NYR was the legal one then we never make the Lindros trade and win 6 cups with Forsberg, Hextall, Duchesne, Ricci, etc.

We are all but ball-bearings in the cosmic tumbler...
    I don't know if they would have won any Cups...maybe IF they would have drafted Jagr over Ricci the year before....lol

And it was 1992. I remember it like it was yesterday, when the decision came down, it felt like we won the Stanly Cup. 1985...LOL..making me feel older than I already do. I think you;re point was valid though.

vCash
    Kevin Allen ‏@kausatoday
    No Suter decision today, says his agent, Neil Sheehy.
    Retweeted by Tim Panaccio

vCash
    Suter also said, through his agent, that he wants to go somewhere where the media isn't crazy.

THEN WHY DID YOU BECOME A FA???????????

seriously, if he thinks, regardless of where he plays next year, that after the contract he's going to get, the media won't be all over him?

dude should have just stayed in NSH.

vCash
    so about free agency.....

the more and more and more I think about this the more I think we should do what I said from day 1 lol. But I'm going to switch it up and say F it and break the rules and the "GM" code of being mr.nice.

screw Parise + Suter go get Doan + Ryan (trade Read + Mez/Coburn) + offer sheet Webber.

Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofphilly View Post

the more and more and more I think about this the more I think we should do what I said from day 1 lol. But I'm going to switch it up and say F it and break the rules and the "GM" code of being mr.nice.

screw Parise + Suter go get Doan + Ryan (trade Read + Mez/Coburn) + offer sheet Webber.
    I dont know if you saw on twitter earlier today but a Philly writer wrote how Homer and NSH's GM basically have family ties and theres no way Homer would do that to him, but they did say is that he would offer to trade for Weber so that they wont lose their top 2 defenders for nothing.

Suter 100% wont be coming here after that comment about him not wanting media to be crazy. We all know Philly doesnt fit that description.

vCash
    and then scratch DET too....their just as bad

Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofphilly View Post

Ugh...Weber would not sign the OS. Everyone is saying he wants out of Nashville now. Why would he sign the OS and risk Nash matching it forcing him to stay there for a very. very long time. If the Flyers offer him a 12 year $100M deal and Nash matches, Weber is stuck there. Being an RFA gives the player very little say in his future and no one likes that. Imagine if you found your dream job but if you agree to work there your current employer, which you don't like, has the right to keep you there for the next 5-10 years. However, if you wait a year, you can deicde and have no risk of your current employer matching.

As for Doan, as of right now, the Flyers have a better shot at Praise because Doan is 50/50 on whether he's even going to test the market. It all depends on what happens with Phoenix ownership. I mean I like him and all but he's not even going to deicde whether to test until 7/9...he's a huge gamble at this point.

vCash
    Would anyone be shocked if the Flyers brought back Noobsey for a year?

vCash
    Jagr to Dallas it seems.

Also I saw on twitter Suter will be making decision Friday morning. Parise probably wont until thursday. This sucks.

vCash
    Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
    Hearing that Jaromir Jagr has agreed to one-year, $4.5-million deal with the Dallas Stars
    hate to say it, cuz i enjoyed the guy, but good riddance. they don't want him for that kind of money.