Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 109 of 158 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 2362
    vCash
    The way I see it is this:

Weber is either going to be a Flyers for fourteen years, a Predator for fourteen years, or a Predator for one year and then traded. What the Preds have to assess right now is what each of those options does for their franchise.

Option 1) They do not match and Weber goes to Philadelphia:
    - to me this makes the most sense, and it's not just because I'm a Flyers fan. They will receive four first round draft picks as compensation, and have a ridiculous amount of cap to work with even in their small market. While they are going to struggle to reach the cap floor I think it will be achievable by adding some free agents and possibly making a couple trades. Also, while some will say that the picks won't be until later in the first round...they're still able to package to move up for higher picks.

Option 2) Weber matches the offer:
    - to me this option makes sense for the franchise and fan base. Weber is their franchise player, and keeping him is a must, especially after Suter left for Minnesota. They would be going from a pretty decent playoff run to a bubble team in a matter of weeks. Weber is the type of player you can build a stellar defense around, and of the Preds hope to continue winning they need him. Unfortunately, this option poses a threat. This will make it virtually impossible for Nashville to afford any players. This deal is so front loaded it could send the franchise into a download spiral of mediocre seasons, mid-late round draft picks that don't impact the team right away, and don't really stand a chance at adding the players needed to make a deep playoff run because of the insane amount of money they'll be paying weber and Rinne. I can't see Nashville matching this offer based on the fact that it could financially ruin their chances of building a good team.

Option 3) They match the offer and trade Weber after one calendar year:
    - If Nashville does this....well....they won't. Considering this contract will cost aground 24-27 million in the first year, Nashville would be stupid to attempt this. Financially it would be a disaster, and I can't see them being able to match the offer anyway.

I believe option one is going to happen. As much as Nashville needs to keep their franchise defenseman and do whatever they can do to keep their fan base happy, they need to be smart and think about the business side of things. Financially I don't think they're capable of matching the offer, and if they do it's really going to hurt the franchise's future as far as the team goes.

vCash
    http://flyers.thecheckingline.com/bl...-according-rep

Shane Doan is set to visit Philly tomorrow. interesting.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    http://flyers.thecheckingline.com/bl...-according-rep

Shane Doan is set to visit Philly tomorrow. interesting.....
    One or two year contract only please

This is why I watch soccer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Ninja View Post
    One or two year contract only please
    he may just be a fallback plan in case they can't get Weber.

vCash
    Whatever contract he signs will be four years. At his age and the fact that he's been in one place for so long, he's not going to sign a one or two year deal with the possibility of having to pack up again and move away. With a four year deal his contract will be out when he's 39-40 and he'll decide whether or not to retire. I would give him a four year deal in a heartbeat. His experience and leadership is invaluable, especially with the young guys we have. I would certainly give him 4 yrs/$17 million. Something like $5 mil in each of the first two years, $4 mil the next, and $3 mil the final year. I know that's overpaying, but remember there's an offer on the table for $30 million right now. I do believe it's very enticing to come to Philly right now, even moreso if Weber comes here, so that will play into it. However, it's troubling a deal hasn't been made with Voracek yet. Getting concerned

vCash
    I don't think anyone should be concerned about a Voracek deal considering it just signifies that he is being part of a deal or he's going to be worked on after a deal is made. If a bigger deal is being made Voracek can wait since it probably means that if Voracek was signed already it would hinder Homer trying to make a deal. Wouldn't be surprised if the Weber situation and Voracek situation resolve themselves within days, maybe even hours, of eachother.

vCash
    The only issue I have with this Weber offer sheet is that there's the potential of a side deal happening. Nashville may work something out with Philly that says we'll waive our right to match and decline the offer if you trade us these guys for this player. One thing I read on THN said something along the lines of this:

To Flyers:
    -Shea Weber (via declining to match the offer)
    -Sone type of pick

To Predators:
    -Four first round picks (via compensation)
    -Coburn or Grossmann
    -Couterier
    -Laughton
    -Gusto

So basically Nashville would agree to waive their right to match the offer if H
    Philly would agree to a deal sending all of those players to Nashville for a pick.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

I think this could be the reason we haven't signed Voracek yet. He may be involved in this somehow.

vCash
    Yeah I agree with this too. Also this could be related to the Doan situation. If we end up giving Nash Voracek and/or Read and a Dman as part of a "don't hate us" package, then we might see Shane Doan become an okay Voracek replacement. Yeah Voracek has more offensive upside, but Doan is another leader who can score and also shut down opposing players. I would be stoked if this all happens.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuys89 View Post
    The only issue I have with this Weber offer sheet is that there's the potential of a side deal happening. Nashville may work something out with Philly that says we'll waive our right to match and decline the offer if you trade us these guys for this player. One thing I read on THN said something along the lines of this:

To Flyers:
    -Sone type of pick

To Predators:
    -Coburn or Grossmann
    -Couturier
    -Laughton
    -Gusto

Philly would agree to a deal sending all of those players to Nashville for a pick.

I think this could be the reason we haven't signed Voracek yet. He may be involved in this somehow.

i see absolutely no way in hell this goes down. nashville has absolutely no leverage in trade negotiations. if they want to trade, it means they can't match. simple and plain. at this point, they have absolutely no right to ask for such a ludicrous package. no team would do that deal even if they hadn't submitted an offer sheet, so now that the Flyers basically have NSH by the balls, why would they agree to something like that? Homer is not stupid. he has been STAUNCH, stone cold, a brick wall when it comes to the likes of Couturier and Schenn. he's not giving them up. do you honestly believe now that he actually has Weber under contract, that he's not only going to part with Couturier, but also 4 1st round picks, Coburn/Grossmann, Laughton, and Gustaffson?

think about it: it's been basically 2 and a half days since the OS was signed. if NSH could match it no problem, why are they taking so long to announce it?

honestly, IMO, the longer this drags on, i see it playing out in 1 of 2 ways:

1. the Flyers will get Weber and one of their 1sts back in exchange for a "care package" of something like Mez, Read, maybe Bourdon and 3 1sts.

2. NSH panics and matches the OS.

the Flyers can't lose in this situation. i refuse to believe Homer will give into Poille. he hasn't up to this point. they've been working on a Weber trade it seems like since last year, and all the wall Homer has stood strong. now that Weber has signed this deal, i see no reason for Homer to just say, "oh geez are they gonna match? oh no oh no oh no i better give them what they want or we could lose him".

vCash
    Homer, has stated about trying to add to his team without giving up or removing current players. I believe it's 4 first or nothing, I do not think we will trade for any of the first rounders back.

However, I do believe Ryan might be in the works, if we get weber, something of the voracheck+mezz+prospect.

Dian would be icing ion the cake...and that would be a hell of an off season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus-17 View Post
    Homer, has stated about trying to add to his team without giving up or removing current players. I believe it's 4 first or nothing, I do not think we will trade for any of the first rounders back.

However, I do believe Ryan might be in the works, if we get weber, something of the voracheck+mezz+prospect.

Dian would be icing ion the cake...and that would be a hell of an off season.

ok i understand the thought process about the 4 firsts or nothing, because it's logical. however, i really just can't see that happening. the Flyers will end up sending some players to NSH; it just makes too much sense. NSH needs to get to the cap floor, and the Flyers will need (not need, but desire) to shed some salary.

secondly, it's hard enough to imagine the Flyers going after Bobby Ryan if they were to get Shea Weber. to then add Shane Doan to the mix, is just out of the question. no way that happens.

vCash
    i see absolutely no way in hell this goes down. nashville has absolutely no leverage in trade negotiations. if they want to trade, it means they can't match. simple and plain. at this point, they have absolutely no right to ask for such a ludicrous package. no team would do that deal even if they hadn't submitted an offer sheet, so now that the Flyers basically have NSH by the balls, why would they agree to something like that? Homer is not stupid. he has been STAUNCH, stone cold, a brick wall when it comes to the likes of Couturier and Schenn. he's not giving them up. do you honestly believe now that he actually has Weber under contract, that he's not only going to part with Couturier, but also 4 1st round picks, Coburn/Grossmann, Laughton, and Gustaffson?

think about it: it's been basically 2 and a half days since the OS was signed. if NSH could match it no problem, why are they taking so long to announce it?

honestly, IMO, the longer this drags on, i see it playing out in 1 of 2 ways:

1. the Flyers will get Weber and one of their 1sts back in exchange for a "care package" of something like Mez, Read, maybe Bourdon and 3 1sts.

2. NSH panics and matches the OS.

the Flyers can't lose in this situation. i refuse to believe Homer will give into Poille. he hasn't up to this point. they've been working on a Weber trade it seems like since last year, and all the wall Homer has stood strong. now that Weber has signed this deal, i see no reason for Homer to just say, "oh geez are they gonna match? oh no oh no oh no i better give them what they want or we could lose him".

I agree with you 100% I can't see Homer doing something like that. If that were the case I think a trade would've happened rather than an offer sheet. I'd rather not lose any dmen but I'd be fine with giving up Voracek and maybe Bourdon. We'll see what happens.

vCash
    ok i understand the thought process about the 4 firsts or nothing, because it's logical. however, i really just can't see that happening. the Flyers will end up sending some players to NSH; it just makes too much sense. NSH needs to get to the cap floor, and the Flyers will need (not need, but desire) to shed some salary.

secondly, it's hard enough to imagine the Flyers going after Bobby Ryan if they were to get Shea Weber. to then add Shane Doan to the mix, is just out of the question. no way that happens.
    Dude, my dad just saw Shane Doan at the skate zone this morning...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuys89 View Post

To Flyers:
    -Sone type of pick

To Predators:
    -Coburn or Grossmann
    -Couterier
    -Laughton
    -Gusto

I think there will be a deal but I do think it will not be as crazy as you are noting above...

1.) Homer seems reluctant to lose Couts or Schenn so I do not see him being in the deal
    2.) Nashville doesnt have the ability to get as much as they would had the offer sheet not been structured the way it is... it kind of puts them in a bind.
    3.) I do think we have a good relationship with them

To Flyers:
    - If Coburn delt - 2 first rounders come back to us

To Predators:
    -Coburn/Mez (if Coburn we most likely get some of the first rounders back - see above)
    -Vorachek
    -Gusto/Laughton

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    Dude, my dad just saw Shane Doan at the skate zone this morning...
    Yeah he was visiting the city today. By my previous post, I meant the possibility of Weber, Ryan, AND Doan is out of the question.

Should the Weber transaction go through, I would fully expect the Flyers to pursue Doan to "replace" Voracek, who I believe would likely be involved in a package back to Nashville.