Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 107 of 158 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 2362
    vCash
    When it's all said and done Homer can NOT trade for Weber or his rights. The Flyers have to gamble just like they didn't with Parise and Suter. We didn't lose a thing but time, which is the best thing to lose in this case.

The best way to get Webers attention is through our play defensively next uear as well as a deep playoff run and our roster moves. No DMan will want to come here if our defense and goaltenders suck *****. So the best recruitment is through the play of our team this upcoming season.
    Philadelphia Flyers Philadelphia Phillies
    Seattle Seahawks Cincinnati Bengals
    Phoenix Suns
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Kansas Jayhawks

vCash
    porterpotty28 well said. I was 50-50 on Weber, should we or shouldn't we trade for him. You helped with some solid points that we should stay away and wait to make a move during the season to add a Grossman or Schenn addition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sev66 View Post
    porterpotty28 well said. I was 50-50 on Weber, should we or shouldn't we trade for him. You helped with some solid points that we should stay away and wait to make a move during the season to add a Grossman or Schenn addition.

Im glad you agree. Having Weber at this point is a luxury not a must, so i cannot in any way shape or form justify trading away the talent that we have to get him. Pittsburgh won a cup with guys like Brooks Orpik, Hal Gil and Rob Scuderi. Outside of Lidstrom who did the Red Wings have? Chris Chelios...who was 46. The Bruins, outside of Chara, won with Denis Seidenberg, McQuade, and schlubs like them...I don't know many teams, outside of maybe Vancouver, who has a very deep, talented defense like us...We got shutdown by the Devils...whose best defenseman is Volchenkov...They dominated us with two way play and a good system. We have those two way guys right now who will only grow and get better. This could be a truly tremendous team for a long time...the only thing missing at this point is a TRUE sniper. Bobby Ryan should be the guy we target, not Shea Weber.

vCash
    I was always on the pro side of seeing how we could get Weber here. But honestly once we traded JVR my willingness to want to put a package together for Weber isn't that great. From a trade shrewdness perspective I viewed JVR as the guy that would have a strong value around the league while at the same time being a guy we could afford to lose. But once we traded JVR we lost a big piece of that forward "depth" that we had. Not saying we're not strong there, but that EXTRA depth was lost there.

With Schenn, Couts, Read and Voracek we have a strong core of legitimate TWO WAY forwards and I'm not anxious to remove too many pieces there. I don't think now is the time to lose too many pieces in a big package deal for one guy. With JVR still in the mix I'd feel more comfortable doing it, but now that he's gone I'm much more skeptical thinking about it. Trading one of those guys...OK...trading more than one at the same time?....not so sure about.

vCash
    I still do think there is a deal in the works somewhere here still. Not sure where they would be headed with it......but to me when they signed Rusty and the fact they still haven't locked up Voracek is a signal that there is still something in the works here.

But in the absence of clouding the roster with any trade speculation.....my #1 priority is to get Voracek signed. The only item of intrigue out there for me would be Jason Arnott. Now I know it's the prospect of ANOTHER center....but it would be a big body up the middle who would be reasonable dollars witout a long term deal. Rather than give up the farm for Bobby Ryan or Nash or whomever.....to me he gives us the ability to throw Briere up on the wing with Giroux and slide the centers up a spot.....or even at worst, make him a solid veteran on the 4th line and slide Talbot up on the left side on another line.

Just spitballing here but it might look something like:

Hartnell Giroux Briere
    Schenn Couts Voracek
    Rusty Arnott Simmonds
    Wellwood Talbot Read

Rinaldo/Sestito are the depth guys

I don't really hate that lineup there.....gives us good balance without overspending on anything. I could see Read or Wellwood up on the 3rd line to inject some speeed there..but overall something in that mix.

In that lineup I'd also be OK with moving Read somewhere and having Rinaldo/Sestito grab that 4th line spot to add a little more grit there.........but just thinking out loud a little...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I still do think there is a deal in the works somewhere here still. Not sure where they would be headed with it......but to me when they signed Rusty and the fact they still haven't locked up Voracek is a signal that there is still something in the works here.

But in the absence of clouding the roster with any trade speculation.....my #1 priority is to get Voracek signed. The only item of intrigue out there for me would be Jason Arnott. Now I know it's the prospect of ANOTHER center....but it would be a big body up the middle who would be reasonable dollars witout a long term deal. Rather than give up the farm for Bobby Ryan or Nash or whomever.....to me he gives us the ability to throw Briere up on the wing with Giroux and slide the centers up a spot.....or even at worst, make him a solid veteran on the 4th line and slide Talbot up on the left side on another line.

Just spitballing here but it might look something like:

Hartnell Giroux Briere
    Schenn Couts Voracek
    Rusty Arnott Simmonds
    Wellwood Talbot Read

Rinaldo/Sestito are the depth guys

I don't really hate that lineup there.....gives us good balance without overspending on anything. I could see Read or Wellwood up on the 3rd line to inject some speeed there..but overall something in that mix.

In that lineup I'd also be OK with moving Read somewhere and having Rinaldo/Sestito grab that 4th line spot to add a little more grit there.........but just thinking out loud a little...
    I'm in total agreement with you. I used to hate Arnott but I've warmed up to him over the years. He's been one of the FA's I've been pondering for our 2012-2013 squad. Besides that top line you put together looks about as deadly as an M1 Abrams.
    Last edited by Ernie Hudson; 07-18-2012 at 01:26 PM.

vCash
    Briere on the top line could work, but I don't know that it's a great idea to have your star player's "skill winger" out half the season. Hmmm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by porterpotty28 View Post
    Im glad you agree. Having Weber at this point is a luxury not a must, so i cannot in any way shape or form justify trading away the talent that we have to get him. Pittsburgh won a cup with guys like Brooks Orpik, Hal Gil and Rob Scuderi. Outside of Lidstrom who did the Red Wings have? Chris Chelios...who was 46. The Bruins, outside of Chara, won with Denis Seidenberg, McQuade, and schlubs like them...I don't know many teams, outside of maybe Vancouver, who has a very deep, talented defense like us...We got shutdown by the Devils...whose best defenseman is Volchenkov...They dominated us with two way play and a good system. We have those two way guys right now who will only grow and get better. This could be a truly tremendous team for a long time...the only thing missing at this point is a TRUE sniper. Bobby Ryan should be the guy we target, not Shea Weber.
    So Weber is a luxury that can't be justified trading away the farm for, but Bobby Ryan isn't? That makes no sense at all. At this point the only reason to even make a move for either of those guys is because Homer wants to make a change, but he doesn't need to make one.

I mostly agree with Hatch. Most important thing they need to do right now is get Voracek signed. Then look for someone like Arnott, Langkow, or Sykora if they are going to make any other moves. Only thing I'd change is the lines:

Hartnell Giroux Voracek
    Schenn Briere Simmonds
    Talbot Couturier Read
    Fedotenko Arnott/Langkow Wellwood

Couturier is still going to get his minutes, and he's still developing. I don't think he should be the #2 Center yet considering he isn't the second best center on the team. Let him continue to play to his strength as the shutdown center while he works on his offensive game.

You could also swap Talbot, Wellwood and Read however you'd like.

If Sykora were signed I'd have the bottom 6 as:

Sykora Couturier Talbot
    Fedotenko Read Wellwood

Again you could also swap Talbot, Wellwood and Read however you'd like

If no one else is added

Talbot Couturier Wellwood
    Fedotenko Read Rinaldo/Zolnierczyk

D:

Timmonen Coburn
    Grossmann Meszaros
    Schenn Gustafsson
    Bourdon

As much as I'd like to keep Grossmann and Coburn together, I'd rather see an offensive defenseman and defensive defenseman on each pairing.

Bryz
    Leighton

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by delfinko View Post
    So Weber is a luxury that can't be justified trading away the farm for, but Bobby Ryan isn't? That makes no sense at all. At this point the only reason to even make a move for either of those guys is because Homer wants to make a change, but he doesn't need to make one.

I mostly agree with Hatch. Most important thing they need to do right now is get Voracek signed. Then look for someone like Arnott, Langkow, or Sykora if they are going to make any other moves. Only thing I'd change is the lines:

Hartnell Giroux Voracek
    Schenn Briere Simmonds
    Talbot Couturier Read
    Fedotenko Arnott/Langkow Wellwood

Couturier is still going to get his minutes, and he's still developing. I don't think he should be the #2 Center yet considering he isn't the second best center on the team. Let him continue to play to his strength as the shutdown center while he works on his offensive game.

You could also swap Talbot, Wellwood and Read however you'd like.

If Sykora were signed I'd have the bottom 6 as:

Sykora Couturier Talbot
    Fedotenko Read Wellwood

Again you could also swap Talbot, Wellwood and Read however you'd like

If no one else is added

Talbot Couturier Wellwood
    Fedotenko Read Rinaldo/Zolnierczyk

D:

Timmonen Coburn
    Grossmann Meszaros
    Schenn Gustafsson
    Bourdon

As much as I'd like to keep Grossmann and Coburn together, I'd rather see an offensive defenseman and defensive defenseman on each pairing.

Bryz
    Leighton

Huh??? Where did I say we would give up the farm for Ryan? In case you can't find it, I didn't. The whole point of getting ryan is that you won't have to give up the farm to get him. Anaheim will eventually lower it's demands as things get worse.

vCash
    Right, but as of right now, it sounds like Anaheim wants too much right? Meaning right now it would take too much to get him? Ok, my bad for saying "giving up the farm," I simply meant he costs too much. Even if they do eventually lower their asking price, don't you think some other teams would try to get involved on that as well? All that will do is raise the value again. Honestly, I really don't see Bobby Ryan going anywhere anytime soon without someone overpaying for him.

Like I said, the only reason to go get Weber or Ryan right now is because Homer wants to make change, and personally I just don't see the need.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by girouxxx28 View Post
    Briere on the top line could work, but I don't know that it's a great idea to have your star player's "skill winger" out half the season. Hmmm
    Yes, I agree...I could go either way on Briere up there. From the standpoint of production I think his game would probably blend the best with the G and Hartnell up there. However, I also think Voracek could do some very good things if given the chance up there. More realistically I would see Hartnell and Giroux and then probably have something like Briere and Voracek kind of flip flop between the first couple lines depending on maybe who's hotter at the time.

I would certainly expect those names to be configured differently than what I tossed out there as an example....my point was more that it seems that collective group of 12-14 guys could be pretty solid and productive together and give the roster some flexibility WITHOUT having to overpay someone on FA market or make a trade where we need to give up 3 guys for one......I picked Arnott as the addition mainly becuase he's a big bodied veteran that still seems to have some productivity in him and because guys like Read and Talbot are capable of bouncing over to a wing without log jamming the center spot and needing to pay for a guy who is wing specific. If I'm not mistaken I think Arnott was pretty close to 20 goals last season so he must still have something going for him.

That concept gives us a pretty solid team while giving us Cap Room to land a big fish next year or during the season to put us over the hump..

vCash
    wondering if Bourdon is getting moved soon as part of a package or something. That should have been a quick/easy sign (unlike Voracek who actually deserves more money then his tendered offer). Hes no longer exempt from waivers, so he's officially in the way of more talented guys like Manning and Gus, and curbing the development of a guy like Lauridsen. He's really not needed at all, just like Marshall last year.

Think the team is trying to move Bourdon rights and Lilja.

which team needs defensive depth right now.... NASHVILLE! lol speculation

vCash
    Im ready for the season to start....

Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

vCash
    Breaking: Shea Weber agrees to offer sheet with Philadelphia. 14 years, upwards of $100 mil. Preds have 7 days to match. Wow!!- Dreger. HOLY ****

City of Brotherly Love

vCash
    Nashville was working on a trade and its believed several deadlines passed before Flyers grew tired of waiting. Weber signed offer sheet- Dreger

City of Brotherly Love