Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 106 of 158 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 2362
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    i think all the Weber-lovers out there need to get one thing straight: NO TEAM SHOULD EVER MAKE A "LINDROS-ESQUE" TRADE.

was i grateful to have had Lindros in orange and black? yes, no doubt. but what did it get them? an mvp and one trip to the cup finals, only to get ***** slapped by the red wings. in the meantime, the team they traded with, the avalanche, went on to win 2 cups during Lindros's tenure with Philly.
    Well......this.....is really unfair. I mean, sure, Lindros only got the Flyers to one Cup, but his career was considerably shortened. And the Aves, while they went to "two" Cups, only one was prior to Lindros' Flyers career being ended. And only went one season prior to the Flyers going in 98. Lindros' Flyers career was ended 2 years after their first Cup run. In the middle of a Cup run itself. Plus, a big part of that was the Aves acquiring Patrick Roy for pennies.

Had he had a longer run, I don't think it's any bit of a stretch to say he'd have lead the Flyers at least back to another Cup, especially with a lot of the surrounding casts we had.

I'm not saying make a Lindros esque trade for Weber. But I'll be honest, I don't think I've seen a single package that has been rumored that equals a Lindros esque package, either since the Schenn trade, which essentially puts Brayden off the blocks.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-17-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Not sure why we're talking about the Lindros trade but no player would cost that much in today's NHL, even someone as great as Weber. We're talking a Top player plus another roster player and 2 first round picks gets it done.

That's why these Nash rumors are hilarious. No chance Columbus gets anything close to that.

Also in regards to The Lindros trade...Forsberg was great there but they won that cup because they also had arguably the best goalie ever, Sakic and Bourque
    Last edited by Dark Donnie; 07-17-2012 at 04:29 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Donnie View Post
    Not sure why we're talking about the Lindros trade but no player would cost that much in today's NHL, even someone as great as Weber. We're talking a Top player plus another roster player and 2 first round picks gets it done.

That's why these Nash rumors are hilarious. No chance Columbus gets anything close to that.

Also in regards to The Lindros trade...Forsberg was great there but they won that cup because they also had arguably the best goalie ever, Sakic and Bourque
    I think you are really undervaluing Weber here. We are talking about probably the best all around defenseman in the league who is just entering his prime. I realize it is the last year of his contract but every team in the NHL is going to be going all in for him. Couturier, Read, Mez, Gus, and two or three 1sts might get it done

City of Brotherly Love

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Well......this.....is really unfair. I mean, sure, Lindros only got the Flyers to one Cup, but his career was considerably shortened. And the Aves, while they went to "two" Cups, only one was prior to Lindros' Flyers career being ended. And only went one season prior to the Flyers going in 98. Lindros' Flyers career was ended 2 years after their first Cup run. In the middle of a Cup run itself. Plus, a big part of that was the Aves acquiring Patrick Roy for pennies.

Had he had a longer run, I don't think it's any bit of a stretch to say he'd have lead the Flyers at least back to another Cup, especially with a lot of the surrounding casts we had.

I'm not saying make a Lindros esque trade for Weber. But I'll be honest, I don't think I've seen a single package that has been rumored that equals a Lindros esque package, either since the Schenn trade, which essentially puts Brayden off the blocks.

....isn't that kinda the point though? i mean who's to say if the Flyers trade

B. Schenn
    Couts
    Coburn
    2-3 first round picks

for Weber, that Weber doesn't end up with a severe concussion and never play again this season?

could it happen to Schenn/Couts/Coburn or any of the 2-3 firsts we give up? absolutely. but i'd rather take my chances on all 5-6 of those players getting severe PCS than just Weber.

my main point remains: the asking price for Weber is too much. it depletes the roster, and goes against the whole idea of trading Richards and Carter last year for younger talent. you simply can't keep managing a team under the philosophy that your players are trade pieces for something more. you don't win like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman9518 View Post
    I think you are really undervaluing Weber here. We are talking about probably the best all around defenseman in the league who is just entering his prime. I realize it is the last year of his contract but every team in the NHL is going to be going all in for him. Couturier, Read, Mez, Gus, and two or three 1sts might get it done
    which, again, is why you don't trade for him.

vCash
    Mez has little value...And Matt Read is an undrafted rookie. Those two guys have minimal value. Read becomes much more valuable if he can do that again this year.

If we offered:

2 1sts
    Couturier
    Voracek(Or Gus, etc)

And you're in the ballpark

vCash
    Mez has little value...And Matt Read is an undrafted rookie. Those two guys have minimal value. Read becomes much more valuable if he can do that again this year.

If we offered:

2 1sts
    Couturier
    Voracek(Or Gus, etc)

i'd agree with this, and agree that Mez's value is shot b/c of his back ... back problems are the devil (besides groin) for hockey players and a huge risk; Mez's value could never be lower ... but, in my opinion, Couturier is more important to winning a cup than both of the Schenn brothers ... so i'd roll with your trade and replace Couturier with both Schenns ... i'd probably throw in Matt Read at that point too and keep Vorachek .... but since it wont really happen b/c of the CBA ....

let's change the subject ...

Gun to your head with the current roster AS IS ... would you rather trade Couturier or BOTH Schenn brothers ... i'd trade both schenn brothers before couturier

in terms of trade value - here is my ranking
    (realistic trade ... obviously Claude Giroux would be #1 but he wont ever hit the market)

1) Couturier
    2) Schenn Brothers (now that we have both ... i'm pretty sure they are a package)
    3) Vorachek
    4) Read
    5) Gusto
    Last edited by castan_b; 07-17-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: clarify

vCash

If we offered:

2 1sts
    Couturier
    Voracek(Or Gus, etc)

If that were all it took to get him then every team in the NHL would send over an identical offer. I would do this trade in a heart beat

City of Brotherly Love

vCash
    lol Weber is going to cost a HUGE RANSOM in a trade. No team would do it because you would not sacrifice that much when you should just throw the BANK at him next year possibly

vCash
    Why anyone would want to trade Couterier or the Schenn brothers is beyond me. The ceilings are so unbelievably high for them three and if we can keep this group together and win in free agency the next couple years, we have shots at the cup for the next decade. These trade talks are senseless. Let's talk about something that might actually happen. Do any of you really think Homer traded JVR for Schenn just to turn around and trade him away? We're sitting here acting like last year we sucked and need to completely revamp this team. We were third place in our conference (division leaders bullcrap aside) and the way we were playing at the end of the season was unreal. We then went on and rolled right through the Pens and lost to the Devils because of terrible board play. We never adjusted our style of play. Everyone needs to stop acting like we were on the brink of not making the playoffs. We had over 100 points and our core of young talent is one year older. As far as I'm concerned, there is no reason to change anything right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuys89 View Post
    Why anyone would want to trade Couterier or the Schenn brothers is beyond me. The ceilings are so unbelievably high for them three and if we can keep this group together and win in free agency the next couple years, we have shots at the cup for the next decade. These trade talks are senseless. Let's talk about something that might actually happen. Do any of you really think Homer traded JVR for Schenn just to turn around and trade him away? We're sitting here acting like last year we sucked and need to completely revamp this team. We were third place in our conference (division leaders bullcrap aside) and the way we were playing at the end of the season was unreal. We then went on and rolled right through the Pens and lost to the Devils because of terrible board play. We never adjusted our style of play. Everyone needs to stop acting like we were on the brink of not making the playoffs. We had over 100 points and our core of young talent is one year older. As far as I'm concerned, there is no reason to change anything right now.
    I don't think anyone is really saying that, we are discussing whether or not to trade for the best defenseman in the NHL. I personally think that if Nashville can't work out a long term deal he will be traded for an amazing package. Someone will be willing to throw everything they have at Nashville to get this guy. Poile is no Howson, he knows if he can't lock him up he is going to trade him. I also think he is going to want this resolved by the start of the season, the closer he gets to the trade deadline, the less value he will get in a trade

City of Brotherly Love

vCash
    I'm torn, I would love to see him as a flyer but with how much it would cost in assets, I don't know if it's worth it.

Our defense will actually be better at the beginning of this year than when it finished off last year, they are solid if not spectacular, and you will have at least one top 4 d-man on the third pairing.

I understand dealing from a position of strength (forwards) for an asset, but when that asset turns your strength into just an average group, I don't know. Weber added to our d definitely makes our d stronger but if we have to give up one of our top d men back in a trade, how much better will we actually be?

vCash
    Ironman, I agree Weber is the best Dman in the NHL. Say we do get him, would you agree it will take a contract of 10yrs and 100 million. After next year what do u do with Giroux give him they same money? Then we would have 2 players eating up a big chunck of our cap. I would love Weber, but he would create some huge problems for us, when it comes down to the cap and building around him and Giroux.

If he is going to get traded, then teams like Edmonton, Detriot, maybe even PHX, who have lots of young talent (not saying the Flyers dont), and a ton of salary cap space will be able to put a better package togther then we would.

Do we all agree the Flyers have a solid core on D this season? I think 1-5 we are strong and if Mez is back healthy, we have a very strong top 4, and we can add a Dman at the deadline, maybe not Weber, but someone solid.

Ironman I do agree that Weber can only get better. The Dman that compare to him didnt win cups til later in their careers. Pronger in 07, Chara 10', I know Lidstrom won 2 in the late 90's but it was in 08' when he was the leader of the Wings.

If he does get traded for a package, that looks like a joke then I will be pissed, if not I wont be to upset.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman9518 View Post
    I don't think anyone is really saying that, we are discussing whether or not to trade for the best defenseman in the NHL. I personally think that if Nashville can't work out a long term deal he will be traded for an amazing package. Someone will be willing to throw everything they have at Nashville to get this guy. Poile is no Howson, he knows if he can't lock him up he is going to trade him. I also think he is going to want this resolved by the start of the season, the closer he gets to the trade deadline, the less value he will get in a trade
    EXACTLY. "everything they have".

that's all you need to know as to why trading for him is BEYOND stupid.

if someone trades for him, fine. THEY WILL OVERPAY.

i'd much rather take my chances in FA next season if he gets there. if not, good luck to the team who lands him, cuz they'll have a lot of rebuilding to do with their roster and they can pretty much kiss this upcoming season good-bye.

vCash
    First and foremost, I want to make it clear that I think Shea Weber is a very good defenseman...hes top 5 in the NHL, but with that being said, a lot of you guys need to get off his tip...hes not worth squandering the young CHEAP talent that we have accumulated...I don't necessarily agree that the guy will get much better...to be honest, Im quite skeptical about him because he played next to another top 10 defenseman in Ryan Suter...How does he fair not playing with Suter or in that defensive system??? if you look at Chara and Lidstrom...arguably the two best defenseman, neither had as great a defenseman next to them as Weber did in Suter...Im really anxious to see how Weber fairs this year without him. IMO, no defenseman is 8-10 million...The Rangers, Boston, penguins, NJ, have all been really strong teams without overpaying defenseman...Chara is basically the only guy who has a big cap hit at 6.9, but thats so worth it...10 million on one defenseman is CRAZY. They made the right move when they acquired a young, cost controlled defenseman in Schenn...The flyers don't NEED Weber.