Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Innovation of defensive sabermetrics?

http://www.sportvision.com/base-fieldfx.html

I thought this might be an interesting topic given some of the defensive arguments over the past years on here.

Summary: evaluating defense similar to pitch/fx technology.
    Last edited by NORTH10; 06-30-2012 at 12:42 AM.

vCash
    Very cool.

I think another innovation is the emphasis on hitters splits and making more uses of shifts. Seems like it's becoming uniform and IMO it has the potential to maximize a team's defensive potential. I'm wondering if this is as new as I believe it is because growing up the only guys who seemed to get shifted on were the big pull hitting power guys.

vCash
    It's from the same makers of pitch fx, the discipline stats you'll see on fangraphs and what not. It's a new way to quantify defensive value as it is extremely hard to do so with what we got. I think it was only a matter of time where this was going to be developed.

vCash
    My prediction: Whenever this data is fully in place, we're going to find that defensive value is highly variable due to distribution of chances. In order for positive defense to yield a tangible result, there must be a ball hit toward a fielder that he can catch that the average fielder in his position cannot. I'm betting there is a lot of fluctuation in how many such chances a guy can get from year to year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    My prediction: Whenever this data is fully in place, we're going to find that defensive value is highly variable due to distribution of chances. In order for positive defense to yield a tangible result, there must be a ball hit toward a fielder that he can catch that the average fielder in his position cannot. I'm betting there is a lot of fluctuation in how many such chances a guy can get from year to year.
    This creates a more objective data. In UZR, it is based off of charts with stagnant, traditional positioning. With this technology, it looks like a more objective and consistent way to evaluate defense will soon be taken into the evaluation process. I'm not sure how the formulas will be made, if any, to quantify defensive value from this. But they are working in it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRtH_SiDeR_10_ View Post
    This creates a more objective data. In UZR, it is based off of charts with stagnant, traditional positioning. With this technology, it looks like a more objective and consistent way to evaluate defense will soon be taken into the evaluation process. I'm not sure how the formulas will be made, if any, to quantify defensive value from this. But they are working in it.
    That's the problem with "advanced" defensive metrics:

1. They're based on people watching the game. They're perspective on where the ball is hit can be skewed by where they're sitting in the stands or what camera angle they're watching the game from.
    2. It can be screwed up by the shift or other things it can't account for. There was a long article at BP about Brett Lawrie and how BBREF sees him as having one of the best seasons for a third baseman ever because he sometimes plays in shallow right field in one of the versions of the shift the Jays use.

Also, advanced defensive metrics are incredibly complicated. You almost need a statistics degree to truly understand the ins-and-outs of how they work and why some are more or less valid than others.

Field FX is going to be awesome but it's going to take some time to understand exactly what it's telling us and I suspect defense metrics will continue to be tweaked and changed until enough data has been collected to start making some conclusions (which will end up being wrong anyway).

vCash
    Yup, this has been coming for awhile. It's exciting!