Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayFanDan View Post
    Luongo would make a huge difference, especially if he is at the top of his game. Florida had a similar offense to teams like Nashville, Phoenix, and St. Louis this season, who all did quite well mostly because of goalie play. If you add an elite goalie like Luongo to a team that lacks in offense like Florida, it most certainly makes them a contender. Are they going to win the Cup next season with the addition of Luongo? I doubt it. But the upgrade of Luongo to Theodore is massive and I believe it instantly gives them a better chance to advance further in the east.
    Yes but at what cost? Assuming they believe Jakub Markstrom is a superstar in goal and assuming they still see Gudbranson as an elite prospect, giving up on either likely sets them back doesn't it? They don't have the other pieces to turn them into a cup contender within the organization and they aren't the type of team that can spend on FAs and win that way. So now what? They just become a team that can get past the first round? Is that the goal?

Of course Luongo helps them but he doesn't make them a cup contender. He just doesn't. You even agreed with me...

Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    ^ The contract issue is way overblown. 5.3 for 4-6 years is fine. Luongo has the integrity to retire before the term of his contract is up. I'm certain Gillis can stare down BS like that in negotiations, in fact it's an eye roller of an issue.
    I'm sure Gillis can see through the BS as well but if you were Gillis and I were the Panthers and I was the only possible destination your long termed contracted goaltender with a full no-move is willing to go to and you HAVE to trade him or risk paying 2 goaltenders upwards of 9 million dollars next season (and for the forseeable future presumably) are you gonna hold out for my best assets or are you gonna take what I'm gonna give you...

That's where it gets interesting. If the Nucks are willing to hang on to him then his value changes cause then they don't have to deal him. If he's willing to go to Toronto or New Jersey or Edmonton or really anywhere else, his value changes again. The Nucks have absolutely no leverage in these negotiations, so it doesn't really matter what BS Gillis is staring down...

Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    And I was serious that Tallon owes us for taking bad contracts (Booth and Ballard) before.
    So because Tallon owes you, he should give you Gudbranson? lol. The Bruins owe the Leafs too haha.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    I'm sure Gillis can see through the BS as well but if you were Gillis and I were the Panthers and I was the only possible destination your long termed contracted goaltender with a full no-move is willing to go to and you HAVE to trade him or risk paying 2 goaltenders upwards of 9 million dollars next season (and for the forseeable future presumably) are you gonna hold out for my best assets or are you gonna take what I'm gonna give you...

That's where it gets interesting. If the Nucks are willing to hang on to him then his value changes cause then they don't have to deal him. If he's willing to go to Toronto or New Jersey or Edmonton or really anywhere else, his value changes again. The Nucks have absolutely no leverage in these negotiations, so it doesn't really matter what BS Gillis is staring down...

So because Tallon owes you, he should give you Gudbranson? lol. The Bruins owe the Leafs too haha.
    We assume that all dealings between GMs are predatory and adversarial. Not so. There's precedent just this year between Carolina and Pittsburgh for a fair trade to move a player that wants to go to a destination. I am looking for that kind of cooperation between these two GMs who have worked together before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    Because they aren't a real contender. Can you seriously tell me that you think the Florida Panthers would have a legitimate chance of winning the cup if they added Roberto Luongo without giving up anyone off the roster? Like seriously?

Roberto Luongo has what like 9-10 years left on the deal and probably like 4-5 years tops at the top of his game before he starts to tail off right, maybe 6. The Florida Panthers, as currently built, are about 4-5 years away from being a legitimate Stanley Cup contender. Right now, they are a collection of veterans that got lucky. Brian Campbell went from being a Blackhawk reject to a Norris candidate, Jovonovski found some more left in the tank, Jason Garrison came out of NOWHERE to be a top pair defenceman, Gudbranson emerged into a contributor and Dmitri Kulikov took a step forward. Kris Versteeg went from castoff to all star, so did Fleischmann who was even overpaid on top of that, Mikael Samuelsson came out of nowhere to more than replace David Booth.

The Florida Panthers aren't anywhere NEAR legit title contender and Roberto Luongo doesn't make them any better because he doesn't change the fact that they have an old and declining lead group with most of their core in the minors or not ready to make the impact they expect them to make.
    Wow. Some really interesting takes. So, Campbell was a Hawk reject?? Get a clue about what happened there. Jovo did ok and didn't light the world on fire. Versteeg was instrumental in the Hawk playoff runs; grit guy with some skill. Fleischmann always had upside and Samuelsson has been a solid player his entire career.

Panthers aren't Cup favourites but are making efforts. They spent last summer and got some talent and they're looking to do it again. Their GM is not bad and has a clue. Lu is a very reasonable contract if you look at the cap hit. There's also an escape clause.

I really don't think you know what you're talking about. Lu should get a solid return. Why wouldn't he. There are only a handful of men, on this planet, that can play at his level. He plays the most critical position. Any moron thinking the Canucks should take a third liner and a draft pick have no idea. The contract is an issue but they should get a solid player(s) in return.

vCash
    By the way, if Goc and a mid level prospect is the best we can get for Luongo, I will jump off a building. Goc is at best a 3rd line player, who has never had more than like 30 points in a season. We should be able to swipe a big name from them like Gudbranson. Stop underrating Luongo just because of his contract.
    I would be ecstatic to get Howden, he's a better player than Kassian is or ever will be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carson005 View Post
    I would be ecstatic to get Howden, he's a better player than Kassian is or ever will be.
    IMO one of Howden, Huberdeau, Gudbranson needs to be in this deal along with a good NHL caliber player. Versteeg may be too much for Florida, but a player of his caliber with a top prospect realistically is worth an elite goalie.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    IMO one of Howden, Huberdeau, Gudbranson needs to be in this deal along with a good NHL caliber player. Versteeg may be too much for Florida, but a player of his caliber with a top prospect realistically is worth an elite goalie.
    Sure, but everyone knows the Canucks HAVE to trade Luu before the season starts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carson005 View Post
    Sure, but everyone knows the Canucks HAVE to trade Luu before the season starts.
    Yes, Howden was the draft pick that went to them for Ballard, that at least is some sort of justification. On top of that there should at least be one other reasonable asset to the minimum. This isn't like we're trading a goalie who's fallen off the face of the earth the last two years. I understand your context Joe, but what happens with any other player who has a 10 year deal. Injuries, inconsistency, losing a step and countless other things.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12