Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andrew Luck's world
    Posts
    74,107
    vCash
    1500

    Miami Herald reporter reports possible Luongo trade?

    Word on street is ‪#FlaPanthers‬ are internally getting ready for the return of Roberto Luongo
    https://twitter.com/GeorgeRichards/s...65135118991361
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

    <3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    12,608
    vCash
    1500
    This is the truly best fit. I wonder what is coming back, Gudbranson and others? One can hope.

    Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    32,044
    vCash
    1500
    I think you are looking more towards Kopecky, Bergenheim, or Goc with a middle of the road prospect like Quinton Howdon than Gudbranson. The Panthers don't even really need Luongo, they certainly wouldn't be doing the deal if it were to cost one of their main centrepieces.

    I still don't get the fit in Florida at all. Florida isn't a contender, they just need to hold the fort until Markstrom takes over and their guys like Huberdeau and Gudbranson take over for them to be legit contenders. Luongo doesn't really do that. And on the flip side, Luongo is moving from one elite young goaltender backup to another in Florida. Toronto doesn't have a goaltending spec, neither does Jersey (who isn't in it yet I know), and neither does Chicago (who probably isn't REALLY in it). Markstrom is gonna be his next Cory Schneider and steal his job, then Florida is stuck with him the same way that you guys are stuck with him...I don't get it...
    Last edited by McJoe; 06-29-2012 at 05:03 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    12,608
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    I think you are looking more towards Kopecky, Bergenheim, or Goc with a middle of the road prospect like Quinton Howdon than Gudbranson. The Panthers don't even really need Luongo, they certainly wouldn't be doing the deal if it were to cost one of their main centrepieces.

    I still don't get the fit in Florida at all. Florida isn't a contender, they just need to hold the fort until Markstrom takes over and their guys like Huberdeau and Gudbranson take over for them to be legit contenders. Luongo doesn't really do that. And on the flip side, Luongo is moving from one elite young goaltender backup to another in Florida. Toronto doesn't have a goaltending spec, neither does Jersey (who isn't in it yet I know), and neither does Chicago (who probably isn't REALLY in it). Markstrom is gonna be his next Cory Schneider and steal his job, then Florida is stuck with him the same way that you guys are stuck with him...I don't get it...
    I agree, and can see your point. Of any of those players Goc would be the guy I would be willing to take back. Why wouldn't Gudbranson be possible. Who knows. Tallon might pull the needle. LMAO.

    Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    32,044
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GrkGawdofWalkz View Post
    I agree, and can see your point. Of any of those players Goc would be the guy I would be willing to take back. Why wouldn't Gudbranson be possible. Who knows. Tallon might pull the needle. LMAO.
    Because Gudbranson is a huge part of their future and they don't really NEED Luongo. It would be like the Canucks trading a guy like Edler (Canucks don't have any great specs for me to use as an example lol) and getting a goaltender or like another center who would be the 3rd line center ala Jordan Staal in Pittsburgh. It doesn't make any sense.

    And of course Goc is the guy you'd take back, he's the cheapest lol. I was originally gonna say Upshall but he has a no-move so that doesn't work.

    EDIT: Staal is a better example probably. Staal as the 3rd line center in Vancouver (while it won't happen, not suggesting it) would be a lot of help behind Sedin and Kesler but it would be overkill and a waste of their cap space and money.
    Last edited by McJoe; 06-29-2012 at 07:11 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    584
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    I think you are looking more towards Kopecky, Bergenheim, or Goc with a middle of the road prospect like Quinton Howdon than Gudbranson. The Panthers don't even really need Luongo, they certainly wouldn't be doing the deal if it were to cost one of their main centrepieces.

    I still don't get the fit in Florida at all. Florida isn't a contender, they just need to hold the fort until Markstrom takes over and their guys like Huberdeau and Gudbranson take over for them to be legit contenders. Luongo doesn't really do that. And on the flip side, Luongo is moving from one elite young goaltender backup to another in Florida. Toronto doesn't have a goaltending spec, neither does Jersey (who isn't in it yet I know), and neither does Chicago (who probably isn't REALLY in it). Markstrom is gonna be his next Cory Schneider and steal his job, then Florida is stuck with him the same way that you guys are stuck with him...I don't get it...
    Interesting take. I completely disagree with you but whatever.

    FLA contended for the division sooooooooo how do they not need a good keeper? They have a prospect who is a blue chipper but that's all he is. Until these guys do it at the NHL level they're only prospects.

    FLA has a chance to get a legit NHL keeper who is all-world and at an elite level. Not many of those around. The only stumbling block is the length of contract but that isn't a huge deal; it will hurt the Nucks as far as a return.

    Any team trying to use that contract and get Lu on the cheap is being idiotic. Keepers that good aren't readily available.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    32,044
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurtin' M's Fan View Post
    Interesting take. I completely disagree with you but whatever.

    FLA contended for the division sooooooooo how do they not need a good keeper? They have a prospect who is a blue chipper but that's all he is. Until these guys do it at the NHL level they're only prospects.

    FLA has a chance to get a legit NHL keeper who is all-world and at an elite level. Not many of those around. The only stumbling block is the length of contract but that isn't a huge deal; it will hurt the Nucks as far as a return.

    Any team trying to use that contract and get Lu on the cheap is being idiotic. Keepers that good aren't readily available.
    Because they aren't a real contender. Can you seriously tell me that you think the Florida Panthers would have a legitimate chance of winning the cup if they added Roberto Luongo without giving up anyone off the roster? Like seriously?

    Roberto Luongo has what like 9-10 years left on the deal and probably like 4-5 years tops at the top of his game before he starts to tail off right, maybe 6. The Florida Panthers, as currently built, are about 4-5 years away from being a legitimate Stanley Cup contender. Right now, they are a collection of veterans that got lucky. Brian Campbell went from being a Blackhawk reject to a Norris candidate, Jovonovski found some more left in the tank, Jason Garrison came out of NOWHERE to be a top pair defenceman, Gudbranson emerged into a contributor and Dmitri Kulikov took a step forward. Kris Versteeg went from castoff to all star, so did Fleischmann who was even overpaid on top of that, Mikael Samuelsson came out of nowhere to more than replace David Booth.

    The Florida Panthers aren't anywhere NEAR legit title contender and Roberto Luongo doesn't make them any better because he doesn't change the fact that they have an old and declining lead group with most of their core in the minors or not ready to make the impact they expect them to make.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    25,076
    vCash
    1500
    So adding a goalie to a team that just won their division this season, doesn't make you a contender????? They won their division and would be adding a top goalie. I'm pretty sure winning a division makes you a contender, and I'm pretty sure adding a top goalie makes you even better, last I checked.
    TAKE PRIDE

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    49,860
    vCash
    1500

    Miami Herald reporter reports possible Luongo trade?

    Tallon owes us since he's already pulled off two contract dumps on Gillis.
    Last edited by ink; 06-29-2012 at 11:26 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    25,076
    vCash
    1500
    By the way, if Goc and a mid level prospect is the best we can get for Luongo, I will jump off a building. Goc is at best a 3rd line player, who has never had more than like 30 points in a season. We should be able to swipe a big name from them like Gudbranson. Stop underrating Luongo just because of his contract.
    TAKE PRIDE

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    32,044
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayFanDan View Post
    So adding a goalie to a team that just won their division this season, doesn't make you a contender????? They won their division and would be adding a top goalie. I'm pretty sure winning a division makes you a contender, and I'm pretty sure adding a top goalie makes you even better, last I checked.
    Are you serious? Really? What are the more likely reasons that Florida won that division... because Washington fell apart? because Tampa didn't have anyone to play goalie? because Carolina had injury troubles and disappeared? Or because a team that didn't have anyone score more than 61 points and had Jose Theodore as its starting netminder was the best team in that division...

    Does Roberto Luongo make them better? Abso-****ing-lutely. Miles better. Not what I'm saying. He doesn't make them a legit cup contender, because there isn't a goaltender in the league that does. And by the time their young pieces ARE ready (Huberdeau, Gudbranson, Bjugstad, etc) Luongo won't be the elite goaltender they would need to win the cup. That's why it doesn't make any sense for the Panthers.

    I'm not saying they aren't going to do the trade (because apparently they are and its close) and I'm not saying that they aren't going to give you some pretty good value. I'm saying that no way in hell do they give up a former 3rd Overall pick who is slated to become an elite shutdown defenceman up for an upgrade that they don't desperately need (like the Leafs do).

    And for the record, to add to that last point, the Leafs DO need a goaltender of Luongo's caliber. If I were the Leafs GM, I'd be asking Gillis what he wanted and then pretty well giving it to him (not exactly, I personally hate Luongo even though he's a great goaltender). The Panthers don't have that same urgency...this trade, if it goes down, I think is going to much more along the lines of Kopecky, prospect(Howdon/Shore/Petrovic for example), and a 1st round pick. That's a pretty damn good trade for both teams IMO. Then again, I don't think anyone has any idea what Luongo's value is around the league right now. Is Luongo worth a Gudbranson type of prospect? Probably. Does his contract make it more likely that he's a salary dump? Probably. Does his skill over value that contract enough to make up the difference? That's the question.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    32,044
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayFanDan View Post
    By the way, if Goc and a mid level prospect is the best we can get for Luongo, I will jump off a building. Goc is at best a 3rd line player, who has never had more than like 30 points in a season. We should be able to swipe a big name from them like Gudbranson. Stop underrating Luongo just because of his contract.
    But that's EXACTLY why he's being undervalued. There are MULTIPLE huge reasons why. And that's why no one can figure out his value. He obviously has elite skill and is still probably a top 10 goaltender at worst in the NHL but the multiple large factors that weigh him down are precisely what make it so hard to figure out his value...

    1. Contract. Won't get into it, everyone knows.

    2. Value to Canucks. Canucks don't need him, they actually need the opposite and need to get rid of him. They won't be paying 2 goaltenders upwards of 9 million. And they won't be dealing Schneider after just signing him to that contract. Its somewhat unconfirmed that he has demanded a trade (which again lowers his value) but the Canucks NEED to deal him, again lowering his value.

    3. Value to potential suitors. Obviously as an elite goaltender but according to the sources, no one really NEEDS him. Everyone involved wants him but both teams seem to just want him. Panthers seem to want him the most right now but IMO they don't need him. Leafs don't seem to want him enough even though they desperately need him. Hawks probably aren't a real suitor.

    Maybe I'm the only one dumbing down his value, but if someone really wanted him enough to give up a guy like Gudbranson, don't you think it'd be done already? Don't you think Gillis would take Gudbranson and run away really fast similar to Dennis Wideman running to sign that contract with the Flames? I certainly do...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    25,076
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    Are you serious? Really? What are the more likely reasons that Florida won that division... because Washington fell apart? because Tampa didn't have anyone to play goalie? because Carolina had injury troubles and disappeared? Or because a team that didn't have anyone score more than 61 points and had Jose Theodore as its starting netminder was the best team in that division...

    Does Roberto Luongo make them better? Abso-****ing-lutely. Miles better. Not what I'm saying. He doesn't make them a legit cup contender, because there isn't a goaltender in the league that does. And by the time their young pieces ARE ready (Huberdeau, Gudbranson, Bjugstad, etc) Luongo won't be the elite goaltender they would need to win the cup. That's why it doesn't make any sense for the Panthers.

    I'm not saying they aren't going to do the trade (because apparently they are and its close) and I'm not saying that they aren't going to give you some pretty good value. I'm saying that no way in hell do they give up a former 3rd Overall pick who is slated to become an elite shutdown defenceman up for an upgrade that they don't desperately need (like the Leafs do).

    And for the record, to add to that last point, the Leafs DO need a goaltender of Luongo's caliber. If I were the Leafs GM, I'd be asking Gillis what he wanted and then pretty well giving it to him (not exactly, I personally hate Luongo even though he's a great goaltender). The Panthers don't have that same urgency...this trade, if it goes down, I think is going to much more along the lines of Kopecky, prospect(Howdon/Shore/Petrovic for example), and a 1st round pick. That's a pretty damn good trade for both teams IMO. Then again, I don't think anyone has any idea what Luongo's value is around the league right now. Is Luongo worth a Gudbranson type of prospect? Probably. Does his contract make it more likely that he's a salary dump? Probably. Does his skill over value that contract enough to make up the difference? That's the question.
    Luongo would make a huge difference, especially if he is at the top of his game. Florida had a similar offense to teams like Nashville, Phoenix, and St. Louis this season, who all did quite well mostly because of goalie play. If you add an elite goalie like Luongo to a team that lacks in offense like Florida, it most certainly makes them a contender. Are they going to win the Cup next season with the addition of Luongo? I doubt it. But the upgrade of Luongo to Theodore is massive and I believe it instantly gives them a better chance to advance further in the east.
    TAKE PRIDE

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    49,860
    vCash
    1500

    Miami Herald reporter reports possible Luongo trade?

    ^ The contract issue is way overblown. 5.3 for 4-6 years is fine. Luongo has the integrity to retire before the term of his contract is up. I'm certain Gillis can stare down BS like that in negotiations, in fact it's an eye roller of an issue.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    49,860
    vCash
    1500
    And I was serious that Tallon owes us for taking bad contracts (Booth and Ballard) before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •