Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 37 of 70 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    Idea or rumor SB?? The only thing that would worry me about that trade would be that Washington would want some kind of PG in return from someone. I like it for the Hawks. Solid trade.

vCash
    Even if the Lakers lose every game for the rest of the season, it makes no sense for them to even consider trading Dwight. They already believe they have the inside track since they have his Bird Rights and I'm sure would take their chances against any other team in free agency considering everything they have to offer by playing for that franchise. So Hawks fans really shouldn't even think about trading for Dwight in season as long as he's in LA.

Outside of the Dwight/CP3 free agency pipedream, I don't see very many (realistic) moves that take this team from an also-ran into a legit contender. Almost all of the proposed deals I've seen would either be a lateral move (equal talent going both ways) that doesn't help us all that much or just a complete rebuild (which I'm starting to favor). Teams aren't going to give away their young stars on rookie deals like Wall or Cousins for what we're offering because those organizations know they won't get a fair return.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 01-21-2013 at 05:23 PM.

vCash
    Juat an idea...... Slow day.

I'll have to look for away for them to get a pg.

vCash
    Jrue Holiday seems to have taken "the next step" that we're all waiting to see from JT. And waiting... and waiting.

vCash
    I just don't think Teague has it in him to be consistent, much like everyone else on our roster. Just another reason why I just think it's time to start fresh, and maybe get some franchise guys who will play consistently throughout the season and playoffs.

McGOAT

vCash
    Teague's biggest problem to me is the turnovers. It seems like when he commits the early unforced errors, it affects his focus and confidence on both ends, then he plays tight instead of loose and aggressive (as a scorer) because Drew is impatient.

vCash
    A couple of NBA bloggers were discussing deadline deals, then this happened:
    RT @HPBasketball: @hoopscritic The only way Zaza goes to Boston is if it's to go to KG's house at 3AM and beat the hell out of him.
    https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/sta...11038502514689

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    A couple of NBA bloggers were discussing deadline deals, then this happened:

https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/sta...11038502514689
    The only player on the Celtics roster taht ATl should have true interest in are Rondo or Bradley ( if he can get back to the way he played last year). SO It'd hard to see a trade without a 3rd team in it. Also Bos sits at 8 and us at 6, So Ferry would have to consider it a huge win for us in the long or short tearm....IMHO.

But since we don't have a game tonight in the land of fantasy, I think this could work for all teams....

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bex7at4

If Minn is looking for scoring punch. And before someone says something ridiculous, like I'm infatuated with the Williams kid, I'm not. He's just one of the few talanted SF/PF that has been rumored in trade that doesn't make big bucks. That and he plays well against us.

vCash
    My honest opinion right now if the don't trade Smith is is the Hawks sign Howard and Paul and then re-sign Smith and go into next season with Mike Brown as head coach....... Iknow, I know, Mike brown as head coach? He did lead Cle to the best record in the NBA and is from the San coaching tree.... Besides Paul would likely be the real offensive coah.

If they do trade Josh I see a lot of different directions they could go in including a total re-build...... They would have to ask themselves on a team absent Smith How much is Horford worth on the court for the Hawks and as a trade chip? Also the same for Jeff.

vCash
    Boy, if the Hawks grab both Howard and Chris Paul this offseason, the city of Atlanta would be busy entertaining fans with their sport teams...

vCash
    http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/jeff-schu...im-max-player/
    “I feel like I’m a max player,” [Josh] Smith said Friday.

And yes, that is the first time he has said that.

“I feel I bring a lot to the table. I have a lot of versatility. For what I do and what I give this ball club, I feel like I’m worth it.”

The Hawks have given one max contract in their history. It turned Joe Johnson into a very rich man (six years, $123.6 million) and the Hawks into a punch line. So which way do you think the wind might be blowing on this?

Granted, in the new collective bargaining agreement, Smith's max deal would be nearly as high as Johnson's: about $94 million over five years. But it still could give the organization reason to balk.

Smith again: “There shouldn’t be any hesitation. I’m Josh Smith, I’m not anybody else. I ‘m not Michael Jordan, I’m not LeBron James, I’m not Brook Lopez. I’m Josh Smith. You can’t look at what might’ve happened with another person. Let’s say Joe. You can’t say, ‘I’m skeptical of giving another person that’ because of whatever they feel like happened."

If you were waiting for the line in the sand, there it is.

Smith's comments came after the shoot-around Friday morning. He is central to trade rumors. He recently was suspended for a game. If he appeared distracted that night against Boston, it could be understood. Instead, he reaffirmed his importance. The Hawks, down by as many as 27 points in the second quarter, staged one of the most improbable comebacks in franchise history and beat the Celtics 123-111 in double overtime.

At the center of the comeback was Josh Smith. While the Hawks couldn't manage this sleight of hand without Kyle Korver's eight three-pointers, Smith dented Boston at both ends of the court: 17 points, 14 rebounds, seven assists, two blocked shots. His defense on Paul Pierce (4 of 13), particularly in the second half and overtime, buried the Celtics.

"Josh played big," Drew said later. "It just shows the talent that he has."

Of course, talent has never been the issue.

The NBA trade deadline is Feb. 21. This much we know: If general manager Danny Ferry really wanted to trade Smith, he would've done so before the season. He managed to trade Johnson to Brooklyn. Relatively speaking, trading Smith would be as difficult as fingerpainting.

Smith has lived with trade rumors for more than two years. But there's a greater sense of urgency to them now because his contract is expiring and Ferry, in the middle of a rebuilding project, might not want to overcommit to one player.

Until Friday, Smith had been saying the right things about his future in Atlanta. But now he seems less committal.

Asked if he had a preference, he responded: "No. I don’t know. I don’t have a preference for anything right now, except to try to make the playoffs."

The one game suspension Jan. 16 didn't sit well with him. But what upset him more was that word of Drew throwing him out of practice, following an argument, leaked out publicly.

"You have blowups and disagreements but in most championship-caliber organizations they keep it internal," he said. "They don’t try to broadcast a situation, as far as putting a player out there. That’s a problem."

Drew actually praised Smith, saying, "He's showing a level of leadership I haven’t seen before."

Of the argument, he said, "Josh is an emotional guy. We were losing and emotions were high. I was pretty testy that day as well.”

I’m predisposed to liking Smith. His skill set aside, few athletes are as passionate or care as much as him. Flaws? Sure. But he has come a long way. He has matured. He's 27 now with a wife, two young children and a third on the way.

“Kids mature you," he said. "You look at things from a different perspective."

He's not the same kid. He understands his future may be elsewhere. If the Hawks believe this decision will come down to something other than money, they're mistaken.

vCash
    He can feel that way, but I doubt he gets max, from us anyways.

McGOAT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Silver&Black* View Post
    He can feel that way, but I doubt he gets max, from us anyways.
    I sure hope we don't make that mistake again...

vCash
    So do we let him walk then? I doubt he'll settle for less from us when he knows he can get more elsewhere.

Page 37 of 70 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast