By Stefan Bondy / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 11:30 PM
Updated: Thursday, June 28, 2012, 12:52 AM
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz1z6IuUv7b
Bring on Mark Cuban!
On the same day it was revealed that Deron Williams didn’t pick up his one-year player option officially setting the stage for a Nets-Mavericks battle for the NBA’s most coveted free agent GM Billy King said he isn’t concerned about the impending phone call from a certain persuasive Mavs owner.
King’s source of confidence? Seventeen months of preparation and a new $1 billion arena.
“It doesn’t worry me because we’re prepared,” said King, who traded rebuilding pieces for Williams last February. “We’ve done our work, and the ultimate goal is to have Deron playing, opening the Barclays Center next season. And we haven’t wavered on that.”
Williams’ decision to not pick up the contract option by last week’s deadline was expected, considering he can now either command a five-year deal from the Nets or a four-year deal elsewhere.
The point guard wants to announce his intentions quickly after becoming a free agent on Sunday, preferring to avoid the type of face-to-face meetings that helped villainize the decisions of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh two summers ago.
But Cuban, who dissected a championship team to make a run at Williams, won’t go down without a fight (or, as Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov once challenged Cuban with, “a kickboxing throwdown.”)
“It’s part of the process. Mark Cuban will call him,” King said. “At the end of day, Deron’s going to play here or he’s going to play someplace else. I think we’ve done everything, prepared everything. Everything is mapped out. He sees what we have. He sees what they have. And he’s got to make a decision."
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz1z6IRHwVS