Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Shane Doan?

vCash

Shane Doan?

Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan could be wearing a different jersey next season.

The veteran forward is expected to test the free agent market on July 1, according to Coyotes general manager Don Maloney.

Speaking on NHL Live radio Tuesday afternoon to discuss the situation, Maloney said that the team is optimistic a deal can still get done to retain Doan despite ownership issues.

Jamison - the former CEO of the San Jose Sharks - won't become the team's new owner before July 1, meaning the Coyotes' hands are tied until free agency opens.

Doan's desire is believed to be staying in Arizona and playing for the Coyotes, but ownership instability may force him to test the market.

The 16-year NHL veteran is expected to field offers from a long list of teams interested in his services.

The 35-year-old is coming off a five-year, $22.75 million contract with an average annual value of $4.55 million.
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399323

This guy would be perfect for just about every team. If we could sign only one player, this is the guy I want. Likely won't break the bank and is obviously a quality player who has all the characteristics Gillis covets in a player.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    I would love to see him in a Canucks jersey

vCash
    If we can find a way to move Ballard and Booth's contracts as well as Luongo, We should be looking at Doan, Garrison, and Schultz. We would certainly have enough money for all 3. Though I doubt we can move all of them before FA starts. I don't see much reason Doan would want to play for us. He's not a hometown guy, he has played his whole career with the same franchise. I would love if we could get him, but unless we overpay, I see no reason he leaves Phoenix or goes to us vs. any other Canadian team. I think he is from Alberta, so if he wanted to go home, Edmonton would make sense. I dunno. Only reason we have a shot is based on his wanting to win the Cup and we have been the best team the past 2 seasons, and almost won it 2 seasons ago.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Doan played in kamloops so he does have a BC connection. He would be perfect but I don't see it happening.

vCash
    He'd be nice to have for 1-2 years on a lower price contract. I can't see it happening.

I'd prefer Prust for us on line 3. Should be cheap and he's effective.

vCash
    We don't need more 3rd liners though. Prust would be a nice addition, but were not going to win without scoring wingers. We need to make a run at Doan or Parise or Semin or another top winger. One more scorer will go a long way.
    TAKE PRIDE