Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Favorite Italian Food/Meal

This applies to both genuine Italian and Italian-American, because I love both

Disclaimer: when I say Italian in the remainder of this thread, I'm referring to both genuine Italian and Italian-American.

I'm a huge fan of Italian food. I'm 25% Italian (maybe a little more from my dads side - he's everything), but I grew up with my Italian family and grew an extreme fondness for the food.

My personal favorite meal and my best meal is Sunday Gravy - an extremely hearty tomato sauce flavored mostly by the meats that are cooked in the sauce. I usually use Beef/Pork/Veal meatballs, sweet italian sausage, and pork neck bones as my meats. Thats just my personal preference. If anyone wants a good recipe I'll share one (but I wont give all my secrets ). I believe Yagyu posted a really good one a while back also. The meats should be served separately from the pasta, but sometimes I cant resist, its just such a good combination.

Another favorite of mine is Pasta Carbonara (I usually use Rigatoni - Orecchiette and Rigatoni are my favorite pastas. Linguini is third). Pasta Carbonara is pasta that is cooked al dente (all pasta should always be cooked al dente IMO) and then tossed in a skillet with pancetta (after removing from direct heat) with with a mixture of eggs, pecorino romano, garlic, salt, pepper, and parsley to form a sort of "cream" sauce although no cream should be used. Its a very easy meal to make.

Any sort of parmigiana dinner (Veal/Chicken/Sausage) or sandwich is good also, but usually thats just an easy scrap together meal made with leftover sauce, some fresh mozz, and cook up a little pasta. Easy to make.

Baked Ziti (with sausage!) and Lasagna (my grandmas ) are favorites of mine also.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Too many to name. My g/f comes from Italian heritage and cooks all the time

vCash
    Lasagne

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by NYSpirit1 View Post
    The Knicks were never this bad of a team. They always have been a 48-50 win team stuck in what was a 21-40 team's body.

vCash
    Damn, so tough to narrow down. Plus it's so drastically different....northern Italian, southern, Sicily....my step-dad is 100% Italian and a chef and opened me up to some bad *** dishes.

As far as basic Americanized Italian, my classic favorite is baked Ziti (btw after leaving NY I've found its incredibly hard to find Ziti pasta anywhere).

Otherwise, I think a seafood (mussels, clams, etc.) Fra Diavolo.

vCash
    So hard to name only one.

Breakfast: Cold Ice cream with espresso poured over it.
    Lunch: Pesto Pep pizza
    Dinner: Chicken Parmesean, but I went to NY recently and had eggplant parmesean. It was unbelievable.
    Dessert: Pistachio Cannoli

My favorite spaghetti sauce is Vodka Sauce. That stuff is like crack!

vCash
    or pizza. Yeah....def pizza. But not some ****** takeout nonsense. Talking REAL pizza.

Like 90 year old man, off the boat from Italy with a brick oven in his restaurant and makes his own mozzarella and sauce from scratch type of pizza.

These things do not exist in SoCal.

vCash
    -chicken/veal parm
    -beef carpaccio
    -beef/steak tartare
    -anything with pesto
    -bombolotti with sausage ragu, fresh moozarell, parmiagiano-reggiano, basil and hot peppers
    -tuna steak nicoise
    -a good antipasto plate with quality cured meats, marinated veggies and well-aged cheese
    -caprese salad (basically anything that combines fresh moozarell, heirloom tomatoes, basil, EVOO and balsamic)
    -sausage w/ peppers n' onions
    -fettuccine bolognese (w/ a trio of veal, beef and pork to make up the bolognese sauce)
    -the ravioli 2nd course from mine and lolo's wedding... it was unreal. crispy prisciutto, basil, ricotta and parmiggiano-reggiano raviolis with a pesto sauce and toasted pine nuts
    -the caprese brsuchetta from noodles panini in las olas (ft. lauderdale)... a huge half-loaf of crispy italian bread smothered with melted fresh moozarell and about 5 lbs. of sauteed, diced tomatoes with chopped basil
    -a good meatball (veal, pork, beef combo) with a ladel-full of red sauce and a wedge of fresh moozarell
    -pesto shrimp fettuccine with crispy prosciutto
    -penne ala vodka with pancetta and peas
    -black spaghetti with rock shrimp and spicy sopressata from babbo
    -risotto with black truffles, porcini mushrooms and asparagus
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CityofTreez View Post
    So hard to name only one.

Breakfast: Cold Ice cream with espresso poured over it.
    Lunch: Pesto Pep pizza
    Dinner: Chicken Parmesean, but I went to NY recently and had eggplant parmesean. It was unbelievable.
    Dessert: Pistachio Cannoli

My favorite spaghetti sauce is Vodka Sauce. That stuff is like crack!
    oh man I forgot about vodka sauce!! damn. Love Eggplant Parm too.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Damn, so tough to narrow down. Plus it's so drastically different....northern Italian, southern, Sicily....my step-dad is 100% Italian and a chef and opened me up to some bad *** dishes.

As far as basic Americanized Italian, my classic favorite is baked Ziti (btw after leaving NY I've found its incredibly hard to find Ziti pasta anywhere).

Otherwise, I think a seafood (mussels, clams, etc.) Fra Diavolo.
    I don't ever want to leave the Tri-State area (I guess you can include eastern PA).

Its so hard to find good italian food outside of this area. Most big cities are decent (I found a great spot in Boston), but the suburbs of the cities are just as terrible as the rest of the country. Plus, its tough to get quality ingredients used for italian cooking in these areas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    I don't ever want to leave the Tri-State area (I guess you can include eastern PA).

Its so hard to find good italian food outside of this area. Most big cities are decent (I found a great spot in Boston), but the suburbs of the cities are just as terrible as the rest of the country. Plus, its tough to get quality ingredients used for italian cooking in these areas.
    Yeah its tough. L.A. isn't so bad since the #1 thing to do here is go out to eat, but there's just nothing that compares to a trip down Mott St.....or anywhere in NYC for that matter.

And pizza is worthless out here. One good spot, but its in Beverly Hills and over $20 for a pie....oh and nobody knows what you mean by "pie".

BUT...the trade off is that the Mexican food in LA and SD is just amazing. Traded pizza for fish tacos.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    -chicken/veal parm
    -beef carpaccio
    -beef/steak tartare
    -anything with pesto
    -bombolotti with sausage ragu, fresh moozarell, parmiagiano-reggiano, basil and hot peppers
    -tuna steak nicoise
    -a good antipasto plate with quality cured meats, marinated veggies and well-aged cheese
    -caprese salad (basically anything that combines fresh moozarell, heirloom tomatoes, basil, EVOO and balsamic)
    -fettuccine bolognese (w/ a trio of veal, beef and pork to make up the bolognese sauce)
    -the ravioli 2nd course from mine and lolo's wedding... it was unreal. crispy prisciutto, basil, ricotta and parmiggiano-reggiano raviolis with a pesto sauce and toasted pine nuts
    -the caprese brsuchetta from noodles panini in las olas (ft. lauderdale)... a huge half-loaf of crispy italian bread smothered with melted fresh moozarell and about 5 lbs. of sauteed, diced tomatoes with chopped basil
    -a good meatball (veal, pork, beef combo) with a ladel-full of red sauce and a wedge of fresh moozarell
    Why don't you just name everything

lol I love how you spell moozarell.. thats how I say it (well usually just mooz), but I never type it like that

As for the Ravioli course from your wedding... that sounds PHENOMENAL. I'm honestly not the biggest fan of parmiggiano reggiano - I MUCH prefer pecorino romano - but thats something I might try to make on my own one time just because it intrigues me that much.

vCash

ain't that the trufff.

luckily, there are so many NY/NJ transplants in south florida, we get a pretty solid array of authentic italian cuisine, instead of your standard place with bland red sauce, overcooked pasta and cheddar cheese instead of moozarell.
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    -chicken/veal parm
    -beef carpaccio
    -beef/steak tartare
    -anything with pesto
    -tuna steak nicoise
    Wow, I've had a white asparagus risotto before, but never w/ black truffles and porcini mushrooms. That's not even fair.

vCash

lol I love how you spell moozarell.. thats how I say it (well usually just mooz), but I never type it like that

As for the Ravioli course from your wedding... that sounds PHENOMENAL. I'm honestly not the biggest fan of parmiggiano reggiano - I MUCH prefer pecorino romano - but thats something I might try to make on my own one time just because it intrigues me that much.
    I love Brooklynized Italian:

Moozarell
    Gabbagol
    Rigot
    Bruchet

My Italian step-grandpa used to get so pissed at anyone who said it like that. Then you'd get an hour lecture on Italian dialect haha "the vowels at the end are what makes it Italian!!!"

vCash

when it comes to food, i can never just name a few things... and italian food is one of my favorite regional cuisines, after cajun/creole/soul food and vietnamese/thai.

the ravioli dish shouldn't be that hard to make... all you need to do is bake or pan fry the prosciutto til it's crispy, then make the raviolis with the pig, cheese and chopped basil. once that's done, you pan sautee it and throw on the pesto and toasted nuts.
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast