Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: organic vs non

vCash

organic vs non

here is the article that lead me to post here

http://www.latimes.com/science/la-sc...715-story.html

anyway, i was wondering what your thoughts are and what you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    I'm all for organic but so much organic stuff isn't the least bit cost efficient. A single organic bell pepper at Walmart is $2, the regular ones thats are bigger are 58 cents.
    2015 Cleveland Browns PSD mock

Pick #12: Danny Shelton DT Washington
    Pick#19: Todd Gurley RB Georgia
    Pick #43: Max Williams TE Minnesota
    Pick #77: Brett Hundley QB UCLA
    Pick #99: Hau'oli Kikaha OLB Washington
    Pick #108: Darren Waller WR GT
    Pick #139: Stefon Diggs WR Maryland
    Pick #186: Jamon Williams OL Louisville
    Pick #204: Jeff Luc ILB Cincinnati
    UDFA: Kristjan Sokoli DE Buffalo

vCash
    I'd bet that 50% of the products labelled "organic" really aren't.
    So I rarely buy organic stuff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CityofTreez View Post
    I'd bet that 50% of the products labelled "organic" really aren't.
    So I rarely buy organic stuff.
    Why would you think that?

vCash
    There's a lot of issues with those studies and findings and most of the claims and numbers are over generalized....and I happen to be someone who eats mostly organic. Anyone who is even a little interested in nutrition and pays attention to those headlines about whats good/bad for you on a daily basis should really check out: http://www.amazon.com/Whole-Rethinki.../dp/1939529840

There's some dogma in there to ignore, but the rethinking of scientific methods and how we interpret these food reports is something everyone should be aware of.

All that aside, I eat roughly 90% organic on my produce. Some things with thick skins (avocados, citrus, bananas, etc.) are less effected by pesticides so I don't bother with the increased price.

It's definitely expensive to eat organic, so I pick and choose my battles.

I've done A LOT of research, reading, etc. on food and nutrition....to the point where I considered changing my career path to nutritionist or something in that field. You can drive yourself nuts with the different options and info out there, so really you have to do what's best for you (health AND budget), without giving up completely (which is easy to resolve to especially when you're on a budget).

A few years ago there's no way I could afford to eat as much organic stuff as I do now and had to just pick my battles.

I started with just avoiding the infamous "dirty dozen" (which changes periodically btw): http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ALB00035...y-Organic.html

The things I ALWAYS buy organic on: any kind of berries and grapes, greens of any kind (kale, spinach, etc.), celery, apples, potatoes (which may be pointless since some are spliced with insecticides on a genetic level and sold as organic), cucumbers and tomatoes. Those are just littered with pesticides and I try to go farmer's market/local with those for the sake of quality.

Also any animal products, which is easy since I'm pescatarian, but mostly vegetarian. So organic dairy.

I also completely get the "**** it, eat drink and be merry" approach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidaz4Life View Post
    Illuminati

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidaz4Life View Post
    My grocery store tries to take advantage of the organic (up the price approach).
    It's almost a whole $1.50 more.
    I've tried both (org and non) and they taste the goddamned same too me.
    I guess its not trust issues, but more my budget in reality.

Places like Nugget & a Trader Joe's keep it real, but I never shop there cause I don't live near them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    There's a lot of issues with those studies and findings and most of the claims and numbers are over generalized....and I happen to be someone who eats mostly organic. Anyone who is even a little interested in nutrition and pays attention to those headlines about whats good/bad for you on a daily basis should really check out: http://www.amazon.com/Whole-Rethinki.../dp/1939529840

There's some dogma in there to ignore, but the rethinking of scientific methods and how we interpret these food reports is something everyone should be aware of.

All that aside, I eat roughly 90% organic on my produce. Some things with thick skins (avocados, citrus, bananas, etc.) are less effected by pesticides so I don't bother with the increased price.

I've done A LOT of research, reading, etc. on food and nutrition....to the point where I considered changing my career path to nutritionist or something in that field. You can drive yourself nuts with the different options and info out there, so really you have to do what's best for you (health AND budget), without giving up completely (which is easy to resolve to especially when you're on a budget).

A few years ago there's no way I could afford to eat as much organic stuff as I do now and had to just pick my battles.

I started with just avoiding the infamous "dirty dozen" (which changes periodically btw): http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ALB00035...y-Organic.html

The things I ALWAYS buy organic on: any kind of berries and grapes, greens of any kind (kale, spinach, etc.), celery, apples, potatoes (which may be pointless since some are spliced with insecticides on a genetic level and sold as organic), cucumbers and tomatoes. Those are just littered with pesticides and I try to go farmer's market/local with those for the sake of quality.

Also any animal products, which is easy since I'm pescatarian, but mostly vegetarian. So organic dairy.

thanks man, that was pretty informative. I do the farmer markets in when the season comes but when its cold i don't buy anything organic b/c of the price. I also eat everything on the that dirty dozen list LOL. We'll maybe i'll try and make some adjustments

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CityofTreez View Post
    I've tried both (org and non) and they taste the goddamned same too me.
    Its not about taste. It's about the crap they use on them that ****s up your body while trying to eat healthy veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    thanks man, that was pretty informative. I do the farmer markets in when the season comes but when its cold i don't buy anything organic b/c of the price. I also eat everything on the that dirty dozen list LOL. We'll maybe i'll try and make some adjustments
    Yeah, I guess it's kinda douchey for me to weigh in on eating fresh organic vegetables while living in SoCal. There's literally at least one (usually more than one) farmers market every day in west LA and it's all year long. Plus a lot of higher priced stuff elsewhere in the country (avocados for example) are way cheaper here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Its not about taste. It's about the crap they use on them that ****s up your body while trying to eat healthy veggies.

Yeah, I guess it's kinda douchey for me to weigh in on eating fresh organic vegetables while living in SoCal. There's literally at least one (usually more than one) farmers market every day in west LA and it's all year long. Plus a lot of higher priced stuff elsewhere in the country (avocados for example) are way cheaper here.
    How much do Avos run you guys in Cali?

vCash
    All depends. I've seen them anywhere from 50 cents to over $2.
    THREEINFIVE!

vCash
    Do I look like some sort of tree hugger hippie to you? The more pesticides the better! MURCA

vCash
    i usually pay $1 for non-organic avocados in FL and anywhere from $1.50-2 for organic
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men:29832307

If the organic side of things interest you to become a nutritionist, I would highly think about not going through with it just yet . I'm majoring on nutrition right now after pretty much going from engineering to nursing and now this. We do recommend that youe eat organic as much as possible, but you really have to be careful with the products that are labeled "organic." consumers just have to make sure what they're picking up is really certified. With small vendors/farmers who claim that their stuff is organic without going through the certification process comes down to whether you trust that person or not. Im not saying that this is true for most farmers market vendors, but you just need to keep that in mind.

Yes, organic is expensive. Even my fellow nutrition students, instructors, and professionals I have met do not heavily focus on organic on all the food we buy, but we do as much as long as it's reasonable. Remember that the food you buy, whether what kind, organic or not, etc., can only do so much. How you prepare it is as much as important, if not more important. Then the serving size, portion size (yes they are different), variety, DRA/UL/DV, reading label competence also needed to be evaluated. Believe or not, there are so much people out there that cant read the label properly. I have given so much grocery tours in regards to the label. Also, one need to consider the physiological changes that one go through with age. It changes dramatically with age, especially with the elderly. One may suggest that the elder person should hit the recommended general nutritional marks, but that is not the case for most. That's only with age, not even considering the actual condition of the individual. But thats more about MNTs, so I wont even go there. For you adults out there, please be wary of the being "fit" and "healthy." You can be fit, but not healthy. Just like the old saying in your elementary science course, "all fats are lipids, but not all lipids are fat."

As for you Gman, please do a lot of research about the nutritional field if you really are interested. If this is going to be your primary career, you might want to reconsider. First of, it doesn't pay much compared to others related to the field, food science and tech for example. Although there are a lot of money if you become an RD and choose food service field as your focus. It varies state by state, but just having a nutritional science degree doesn't hold much weight. You definitely would want to become an RD and at the very least an RDT. Then you have to choose whether you want to go to food service field, clinical, community, etc. That is important because you need to do an internship if the college you go to doesnt have a CPD program, or if you're not able to get it. Through DPD program, you need to seek out your own internship opportunity that will likely have a min of 1200 hrs of supervision to qualify for the RD test. Cost also ranges from 5-15k,depending on the program you choose and may last up to 2 years if it comes with a Master degree.

Anyway, this post is probably TL;DR. But if someone is interested pursuing nutrition, def do your research. We want more RDs out there. It's very frustrating though as most places, if you go clinocal route, as the pharmaceutical industry is very strong. Im not saying names of places, but a lot out there especially within the adult day care and some hospitals, nutrition treatment are being over taken by medication treatment instead. So if you have someone in that kind of places, please do talk to it as you're the only one who has the power to change the treatment plan.

To end this, go eat FIBER! Most Americans dont even meet the min daily allowance.
    Last edited by mikekhelxD; 04-19-2015 at 01:34 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^ESPN and PSD Agrees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    i usually pay $1 for non-organic avocados in FL and anywhere from $1.50-2 for organic
    Yeah I guess they are cheaper down here. I don't remember the last time I saw an Avocado for $1. Usually when they hit 64 cents people riot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast