Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BMD's last try at ribs

I'm looking for a crock pot or baked rib recipe. Get specific because i've tried ribs on grill and smoking them multiple times and everytime they are inedible. THey were on sale yesterday so I bought a rack. Please help semi erase the shame of my past.

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

I boil my ribs before I grill/smoke/bake them.

Works for me.

Also, ketchup belongs on meatloaf, not ribs.

Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    I'm looking for a crock pot or baked rib recipe. Get specific because i've tried ribs on grill and smoking them multiple times and everytime they are inedible. THey were on sale yesterday so I bought a rack. Please help semi erase the shame of my past.
    You're doing something horribly wrong if they come out that way.

And actually mustard is your friend. Rub some yellow mustard on the ribs, I promise you won't taste it later, then put your rub on it and put it in the fridge for a while. The mustard will help hold your rub in place. I then smoke for about 3 hours at around 275 degrees, then put them in some foil with honey and brown sugar for another hour.
    Last edited by Pierzynski4Prez; 02-04-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CityofTreez View Post
    I boil my ribs before I grill/smoke/bake them.

Works for me.

Also, ketchup belongs on meatloaf, not ribs.
    It depends on the recipe.

And he said he wanted to slow cook em'

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

What type of ribs are you using?

The quality of the rib meat has a lot to do with how they turn out.

db75 Guest
    Ketchup doesn't belong in any rib recipe IMO.

I'm not opposed to tomato-based sauce, but using ketchup as a base is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    Ketchup doesn't belong in any rib recipe IMO.

I'm not opposed to tomato-based sauce, but using ketchup as a base is sad.
    It depends on how much ketchup you use. A mix of ketchup/brown sugar could make a mean base.

Good reviews.

they're Lederhosen

db75 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    It depends on how much ketchup you use. A mix of ketchup/brown sugar could make a mean base.

Good reviews.
    As could your own "ketchup" (vinegar, tomatoes, various herbs and seasonings).

I dunno...I've just always felt that if I'm making something, it's going to be all my work and not the combination of others'.

As could your own "ketchup" (vinegar, tomatoes, various herbs and seasonings).

I dunno...I've just always felt that if I'm making something, it's going to be all my work and not the combination of others'.
    You also have to take into account to cooking time. 10+ hours will break down the generic ketchup taste. But I agree, it's the other spices/ingredients you add that makes it good.
    Last edited by Johann; 02-05-2013 at 08:01 AM.

they're Lederhosen

db75 Guest
    I'm not concerned about "ketchup taste." I'm concerned with being a food snob when I'm cooking. Ketchup doesn't belong anywhere near any of my cooking...lol

I'm sad to hear that another person is giving up with smoking ribs . Tell us your stories! I want to hear.

I'm not concerned about "ketchup taste." I'm concerned with being a food snob when I'm cooking. Ketchup doesn't belong anywhere near any of my cooking...lol
    More ketchup for me

they're Lederhosen

So my last try went off great.

Decided to play it safe and make it in a crock pot. Put it on, leave the house to catch a meeting. Get a call from the wife who was getting ready for work that our garbage disposal just randomly turned on and wouldn't turn off. Some how the switch faulted. So we had to turn the power off to the house. Sent a guy over to fix it. And he fixed it by disconnecting the unit and putting the power back on. Problem is wife and I figured out about 30 minutes ago (this all happened at 7 am) that the crock pot is electric and probably didn't turn back on. So it's sitting out spoiling. I have no garbage disposal till probably tomorrow when he comes back to fix the things, and that's why i dont' make ribs. Screw making ribs, i'll just go to the awesome place in the ghetto and get them and pay 30 bucks for 2 dinners next time, it's not worth the hassle of making ribs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast