Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Benoit Pouliot

vCash

Benoit Pouliot

So,

We give up a fifth round draft pick and a prospect for Pouliot. Which given his flashes of good play was to me worth the risk at the time.

It seemed like a good move.

Pouliot was of course a RFA. Seemed like a no brainer, throw the guy an offer sheet he signs, we have a strong third liner to take the place of one of the guys that didn't work out last year.

And then in his infinate wisdom Stevie Y does not bother to give the guy an offer sheet.

Thus as of today ... Pouliot is an UFA.

The thought process I have seen out of Tampa appears to be that Stevie doesn't want to risk Pouliot asking for arbitration.

So ... essentually Pouliot is free to sign with any other club on the 1st.

So, even if Pouliot does decide to sign with Tampa ... he didn't have to.

And her is my problem with Stevie Y as a GM ... the guy seems aweful willing to give things away to other teams and get nothing in return.

I mean if we do not sign Pouliot (because he in all reality can do whatever he wants now) ... where was the win for us in giving away a draft pick and a prospect?

I see the win in giving away a D-man we really needed to Detroit last year ... we also gave away a fan favorite ... oh wait thats not a win.

I am sorry for being negative ... I just saw us being Stanley Cup Champs again before Vinny and Marty called it a day ... I am quickly losing hope that Steve is the GM to get us there.

vCash
    It's some strange moves for sure. I have no idea why he would give up a pick and a prospect for someone he's not going to sign. It makes on sense...

vCash
    I am also confused, but hopefully we sign him

vCash
    He is signed!

vCash
    Whew!

I was pretty worked up over that one.

To me it was as bad as trading Downie away for nothing.

But Pouliot signed which is good cause it means he really wants to be here. Given he had nothing that held him to signing here, signing with us is a good thing.

And we picked up Sami Salo.

Not a OMG we got Sutter ... but hey its better than 90% of our blue liners last year.

So I am going to go positive and hold out hope we can get some guys that can Gel and that Boucher can coach his way out of the 1-3-1 that the rest of the league figured out how to play around.

And we may still have a chance to make some waves this season.

vCash
    Two good signings...

vCash
    Benoit Pouliot signed with the Rangers.