Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Moves

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post

this year's different; we're prepared to be without Pronger; Lilja, Bourdon, Manning all played last year and can all step in if needed. hell, like RS and philly have mentioned, Lauridsen could get the call at some point.

the Flyers have plenty of depth on D.

i mean who exactly do you expect them to sign as depth on D? depth that would be better depth than they currently have?
    I think we have to be a little careful with this "we have plenty of depth on D"....I think you're over-valuing what we actually have. There is "depth" as in guys who have a little NHL exerience already....."depth" as in high round draft pick that's viewed as a "can't miss" guy waiting for his NHL shot and "depth" as in we have 7 guys where if we trade any one of them we're going to get a legitimate player in return and still have a rock solid 6.........

I don't think any of the guys you mentioned above have that value.........Lilja? Did anyone like him last year?......Bourdon?...Nice athletic skills, but honestly the guy made a lot of mistakes as well........if he had real depth value we'd either be trading him for something good in return or we would be letting Carle walk because we can pay Bourdon to do the same job at 800k.....I think we know the answer to that one...

Right now let's just say that Gus is our 6th defenseman....beyond that we don't have any PROVEN depth behind him.......now if we sign Carle and Gus becomes the 7th guy...well, now our depth looks better....but right now to me we have a collection of guys that could be decent while lacking any real NHL credibility....

but true depth would be being able to include Bourdon, Gus or anyone on that list as a faily decent part of a trade.....so far I haven't heard anyone interested on that level...........or trading someone ELSE so one of those guys could fill the spot.....that also doesn't appear to be on anyone's plan....

vCash
    Last year I was willing to give the young guys a "pass" on the mistakes they made...Bourdon, Gus, and even Manning could become a very good defenseman, just not right away....They weren't the "blue chip" prospects" that could step right in and make a difference....Defenseman usually take 3-4 years to fully develop....so the young guys have some work ahead of them to develop their games fully....

With all young guys you have to allow them to make the mistakes....it's the good players who learn from them....I won't bash Gus and Bourdon for last year or even this year....

I do like what Holmgren's doing with the defense - FINALLY! I've always thought a good defense matches a stay-at-home, crease clearing, banger with the chance taking skater....Grossman and Mez....Schenn and (I'm hoping for GUS or Carle)...and Timo and Coburn (this pairing is the exception, they've had good chemistry for a couple years now)....

Plus I hope the Flyers work on LSchenn's skating in the offseason....I know he's not the fastest defenseman out there....but his skating does need to improve...Could it possibly do to the increase in his playing weight? He was drafted at 6'2" 210 lbs...last season he was playin at 230 - 235 lbs....Pronger is 6'6" and only 220....even if he's comfortable at that weight his skating does need work....so I'm hopin' he'll be concentrating on that this offseason...
    Last edited by MMC1710; 06-27-2012 at 02:46 PM.

vCash
    I'm not saying the young guys need to be All Stars and of course they need to be allowed to make mistakes .....just saying that one man's "depth" guy is another man's "extra body that might be OK"....all teams "depth guys" generally have similar talent...you just never know which one of them is going to elevate their game and become one of the solid 6 when called upon...

vCash
    A lot of you guys are nuts in undervaluing what Carle brings to this team. Most people's biggest gripe with him are his turnovers which really which really when you compare him to a lot of other top dmen in the league are pretty comparable. He can give you big minutes, he skates well, good outlet passes and puck movement, leads the team in blocked shots, can log you big minutes on BOTH PP AND PK! If they bring Carle back at 4.5 mil after hitting FA they are really stealing him imo.

Realistically we aren't getting Shultz and Carle is better than every other dman on the market including Suter(significantly better offensively comparable defensively). If we were to win the lottery and get Shultz though, I take Carle 10/10 times over Mez and have no issues making him a centerpiece in a deal for Ryan with the extra depth. I am not moving Vorecek or Gus in any deal for Ryan though as I feel they would be selling low on their value.

If Carle is brought back with no other significant moves this is how I see it:

1st pairing: Coburn/Timonen
    2nd pairing: Schenn/Carle
    3rd pairing: Grossman/Mezaros(as much as I'd like to put Gus here he'd have to wait a yr or for injury under this scenerio)

Still need a scoring winger for depth somewhere along the line to balance our lines out though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post
    That is such a tough choice, i think Carle is fairly underrated by Flyer's fans and I think Mez is overrated by Flyer's fans. They both make mistakes, dont really play TOO physical. I think Carle is more reliable , both with his play on the ice and never being injured. But Mez is WORLDS better offensively.

Side note, noticed there arent too many Kubina rumors floating around the NHL lol
    i think everyone learned after last season to stay away from kubina lol

vCash
    I wouldn't have a problem with Carle coming back at $4-4.5 million a year for 3-4 more years....He does add a different dimension to our defense on the offensive end....His mistakes just seemed to be magnified once Pronger went down.

I'm with you Casper...I think Voracek is about to elevate his game next season....the Flyers would be foolish to trade away a guy who has his skillset. I would prefer to see him lineup next to Hartnell and Giroux next season....

I don't see Anaheim wanting Mezaros after having back surgery last season....and they're not forced to trade Ryan at this point....he's still under contract for, what, 3 more years...

I'd rather have the Flyers keep the team they have right now, rolling four solid lines - all with a scoring and defensive capability, an improving defensive chemistry with the new players....and I can even put up with the antics of a headcase in net - for one more season....

Just get me a 3rd line two way player and a decent backup goalie...

vCash
    Wideman signs with flames. Thank the lord he isnt comming here.

lol bryz

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claude28Giroux View Post
    Wideman signs with flames. Thank the lord he isnt comming here.
    don't thank him too much.

his contract is gonna make Carle a very rich man.

vCash
    ^^^

maybe that prices Carle out of Philly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofphilly View Post
    ^^^

maybe that prices Carle out of Philly
    I dont think you Carle haters are going to like what the replacement is going to be. The old cliche you dont know what you've got til it's gone just may apply in this situation if he signs elsewhere.

vCash
    Ugh Im more then ok with what the replacement is going to be.

vCash
    What do you think of making a play for Semin at, say, $4.5 or $5M per season?

He has been underwhelming the last two seasons & he's not going to get that big, $6M per contract that he had before. He is, without a doubt, one of the best pure snipers in the game in terms of talent. Put a motivated Semin on a line with Giroux & Hartnell and watch the scoreboard light up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post

He has been underwhelming the last two seasons & he's not going to get that big, $6M per contract that he had before. He is, without a doubt, one of the best pure snipers in the game in terms of talent. Put a motivated Semin on a line with Giroux & Hartnell and watch the scoreboard light up.
    i know they play different positions, but i think if Wideman can get $5.25 mil, Semin could easily get around $6 mil.

either way, i definitely have my doubts about it. i've always been enamored by his shot. he's got one of the heaviest wristers in the game.

i'm just not sure at that steep of a price i'm willing to take a shot at him.

vCash
    The market fluctuates so much depending on who has a boner for who....I mean Ville Leino can get a 6 year 27 mill then Vokoun goes from a 6.3 mill contract down to a 1.5 mill with the caps..

so again you never know. Also I still dont believe it personally but sometimes people take a bit less money to play for a team that they "love" or have a great chance for a "cup" with. Doan is the type of player who would do something like that because he respects the game so much.

Semin seems in it for the money personally.

Parise seems like another type that could prob get 9mill but would possibly take 7mill to be on a great team that gives him the best chance to win

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post

I think it depends on the contract... How many years he may be looking for and how much. It's certainly intriguing b/c like you said, he is a pure sniper.

The question is how long he stays "motivated".

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast