Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Moves

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bustedstuff14 View Post
    we should just sign Schultz and then deal him back to ANA for Ryan.
    That would be hilarious! Mez, picks, prospect, and Shultz sounds good to me!
    Last edited by 3iverson3; 06-26-2012 at 08:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allphillyman359 View Post
    To all those suggesting Gus be the 6th d man need to consider the fact that someone will eventually get injured. When (not if) that happens we will be right back to where we were this year plugging in Bourdon or whoever in that spot. Gus shows promise and I like the way he plays but after him we have no one who wont be a liability on the ice. Resign carle or another top 4 for that reason.
    Lilja? Bourdon? Manning? Bart?

We're good at #7.

If Gus doesn't play at least 45 games this season, it would be a shame. He could prove himself worthy of Timonens replacement and get a 1 way contract extension. Gus HAS to get lots of NHL playing time, I think he's the real deal.

vCash
    ugh i was kind of banking on him playing almost around 60.... i think 45 is generous

I said earlier I expect Lauridsen to play a max of 30 this year. I really think they liked what they saw from him last year. At the end of the year the Phantoms had him out ALL the time... and eyes were watching from below.

Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allphillyman359 View Post
    gus is already signed so i dont know what your talking about with the bolded text. The guy we would sign would be our 6th with gus rounding out at 7th.

At the end of the day playoffs are the most important part by an exponential margin. The odds of the starting season 6th d man becoming the 5th d man by the end of the season are great, at least 50% if not higher.

Gus would be a fine 6th if we had capable hands ready to step in at the 7th spot, we dont.

Look at last year, we were alot deeper on D going in and it ended up being a major liability. We cant afford to have gus as our 6th on day 1, too much risk of repeating the same exact situation we were in this year.

Your right we cant foresee the future but there are alot of trends we need to take into account. Players get injured, this is a longterm constant not simply a possibility. Disregarding long term trends, saying **** happens and crossing your fingers is not a good strategy.

if you think we were deeper at D last year than we are currently, you need to go back and look at last year's roster.

yes, injuries happen, but the injuries the Flyers suffered last year, particularly on D, were just outright ridiculous and won't repeat. Mez won't herniate another disc; Pronger isn't even going to play this year due to getting a stick to the eye that caused a concussion. Timonen missed time, Lilja missed time......

that's just not gonna happen again.

we were thin at D last year because we weren't expecting Pronger to be lost for....well, forever due to severe post-concussion symptoms. that left a major hole in the defense.

this year's different; we're prepared to be without Pronger; Lilja, Bourdon, Manning all played last year and can all step in if needed. hell, like RS and philly have mentioned, Lauridsen could get the call at some point.

the Flyers have plenty of depth on D.

i mean who exactly do you expect them to sign as depth on D? depth that would be better depth than they currently have?

vCash
    Sunday can't come soon enough. Just read on tsn.ca, that Doan is testing FA. Praise would be great, but he isnt coming here. We dont need much, just a few holes to fill.

My plan is
    1. Praise (but I am realistic)
    2. Doan ( he would be awesom)
    3.Vorachek
    4. Carle and if not a Dman that would be a good fit for 5 or 6 pairing
    5. Brett Johnson for backup goalie role, did it perfectly in Pitts, and should sign for around 750k.

If Doan doesnt work, I would like Parenteau. An interesting name is Kyle Wellwood. Played in Winnipeg last season. Signed on late and scored 47 points playing all over the place in there top 9 forwards. He could be a cheap option, maybe a diamond in the ruff like Talbot who has a very friendly contract.

Why are alot of people okay with trading away Mez, I think he has bee.n great for us since arriving in Philly. He was great in Ottawa, awful in Tampa and great for us. Maybe Schenn will be the same okay with Toronto and great in Philly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sev66 View Post
    Sunday can't come soon enough. Just read on tsn.ca, that Doan is testing FA. Praise would be great, but he isnt coming here. We dont need much, just a few holes to fill.

My plan is
    1. Praise (but I am realistic)
    2. Doan ( he would be awesom)
    3.Vorachek

4. Carle and if not a Dman that would be a good fit for 5 or 6 pairing
    5. Brett Johnson for backup goalie role, did it perfectly in Pitts, and should sign for around 750k.

If Doan doesnt work, I would like Parenteau. An interesting name is Kyle Wellwood. Played in Winnipeg last season. Signed on late and scored 47 points playing all over the place in there top 9 forwards. He could be a cheap option, maybe a diamond in the ruff like Talbot who has a very friendly contract.

Why are alot of people okay with trading away Mez, I think he has bee.n great for us since arriving in Philly. He was great in Ottawa, awful in Tampa and great for us. Maybe Schenn will be the same okay with Toronto and great in Philly.

so wait, you'd rather the Flyers get Doan than Voracek? Why is Doan a higher priority for you than Voracek?

also, i think you're somewhat missing the boat on the Mez thing. it's not that people WANT him gone. but he'd be a piece for a 30+ goal-scoring 25 year old in Bobby Ryan. so i think what people (including myself) are really saying is, "well if we get Bobby Ryan in return, it'd be ok to lose Mez". AS LONG AS THEY BRING BACK CARLE/SIGN SCHULTZ. that's a big ingredient in this whole thing.

vCash
    I was just going to bring up Shane Doan here. What would people think if we got Ryan somehow and then signed Doan? I think we could still use one more piece at D but that would be a helluva offseason. I also think we should really keep the flying V (Voracek )

vCash
    Meltzer pointed something interesting in his blog this morning. The Flyers have more money dedicated to their defense than any other team in the league before re-signing Carle. To me this suggests they end up moving Meszaros to bring back Carle.
    Prepare to experience sexual magic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smking619 View Post
    Meltzer pointed something interesting in his blog this morning. The Flyers have more money dedicated to their defense than any other team in the league before re-signing Carle. To me this suggests they end up moving Meszaros to bring back Carle.

That is such a tough choice, i think Carle is fairly underrated by Flyer's fans and I think Mez is overrated by Flyer's fans. They both make mistakes, dont really play TOO physical. I think Carle is more reliable , both with his play on the ice and never being injured. But Mez is WORLDS better offensively.

Side note, noticed there arent too many Kubina rumors floating around the NHL lol

vCash
    You know, Shane is great but i think he might of reached his top and i think hes on his way down the hill... I think his leadership and veteranship would be a nice thing to have, but at this point I think Voracek could produce the same numbers. But I wouldnt argue with getting Voracek and Doan .....lol

RS, i need to take your temperature wtf bro.... Carle better then Mez.... wow man i wanna bisch slap you so bad right now lol.

the only thing that Carle has is injury edge
    Last edited by fanofphilly; 06-27-2012 at 11:00 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post
    That is such a tough choice, i think Carle is fairly underrated by Flyer's fans and I think Mez is overrated by Flyer's fans. They both make mistakes, dont really play TOO physical. I think Carle is more reliable , both with his play on the ice and never being injured. But Mez is WORLDS better offensively.

Side note, noticed there arent too many Kubina rumors floating around the NHL lol
    WORLDS better? Except Carle has had more points then him every year. Better shot, sure. Worlds better offensively? Not really.

Carle is vastly underrated by 75% of Flyers fans. Sure he makes some mistakes, but he also handles the puck alot. I'd much rather resign him to play w/ a guy like Schenn. Seems like a great fit.

vCash
    mez makes mistakes in the offensive zone ... carle makes horrific mistakes at key times in the defensive zone ... which is not only why they are more noticable, but also tend to lead directly to goals ...

sure they both make 3 mistakes a game ... but carle's mistakes kill us ... usually mez's mistakes dont kill us

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillysports101 View Post
    WORLDS better? Except Carle has had more points then him every year. Better shot, sure. Worlds better offensively? Not really.

Carle is vastly underrated by 75% of Flyers fans. Sure he makes some mistakes, but he also handles the puck alot. I'd much rather resign him to play w/ a guy like Schenn. Seems like a great fit.
    yea worlds better. Carle has 5 goals in 2 seasons, Mez and 15 goals (while missing 20 games). See? I can skew stats to make myself look correct as well.

but even those stats you have to ignore, and simply watch the players. This isnt baseball, a player's stats do not classify the talent of a player nearly as much, way too many variables.

Carle gets assists from starting off a rush by passing the puck away from behind his own net, if the forward he passed it to gets a goal, he gets an assist. Mez gets goals from skating out from behind his own net and joining the rush. Carle is a nightmare while making decisions in the offensive zone. Watching him on the powerplay is almost painful. Mez actually has offensive instincts and can make a play happen.

So yes, Mez is worlds ahead of Carle offensively. If you dont believe me, then watch some old game highlights on NHL.com from this season.

vCash
    I have to agree with RS on this one... as i said.. the only argument anyone has in Carle vs Mez is that Carle hasnt been injured... and he is made of rubber.

Thats about it to be honest. I pick Mez over Carle 99% of the time and thats not because I dont like Carle.

Before this season ended I couldnt WAIT to not resign Carle and then i sort of warmed up to the deal of giving him 4.5..... to be honest i dont know why i warmed up to that idea. Im sticking with my old guns (sorry Ruk) but I hope we let Carle walk, I would rather give someone a one year then wait and go for broke next year on Shea. Unless we sign Carle with the intent to trade him next year to then make a move to get Shea, and thats the only way i would be ok with Carle being back.

I watched his lowlight reel, man when F's up its not just a fluke, or an OOPS, its more like a wow bro you literally just cost us the game. Or we were making a comeback and got within 1 or the equalizer until you turned it over, or didnt play defense on your man... If i could count how many times Ive said "Carle cover your man hes going to spin around go backdoor and get the rebound / pass and walk it in" and I think a lot others might have that same judgement. I dont care what ppl or stats say....Numbers + Theory dont always work together when applied.
    Last edited by fanofphilly; 06-27-2012 at 12:25 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post
    yea worlds better. Carle has 5 goals in 2 seasons, Mez and 15 goals (while missing 20 games). See? I can skew stats to make myself look correct as well.

but even those stats you have to ignore, and simply watch the players. This isnt baseball, a player's stats do not classify the talent of a player nearly as much, way too many variables.

Carle gets assists from starting off a rush by passing the puck away from behind his own net, if the forward he passed it to gets a goal, he gets an assist. Mez gets goals from skating out from behind his own net and joining the rush. Carle is a nightmare while making decisions in the offensive zone. Watching him on the powerplay is almost painful. Mez actually has offensive instincts and can make a play happen.

So yes, Mez is worlds ahead of Carle offensively. If you dont believe me, then watch some old game highlights on NHL.com from this season.
    I didnt scew anything. I disagreed with you. Considering I played for 12 years, Im well aware of the rules and I watch every game, but thanks for the advice. Sometimes people will disagree with what you say. It seems like you arent used to that, but it happens from time to time.

Carle is fluid from zone to zone, was 2nd in finishing in the offensive zone, and 3rd in goals + primary assists (not just throwing it out of the defensive zone) per 60 minutes. His shot isnt dynamic, but he DOES make plays. Not sure what your watching, but maybe you should take your own advice.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast