Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 132

Thread: Next Moves

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    9,408
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by StryderSox View Post
    I think more than just "playing with other 22 year olds" the real edge could be that we are a big market that can offer a chance to win year in and year out as well as having core elements that are young and will most liekly be together for a long time.

    I am also in agreement with avoiding including Voracek in any deal (even if it is for Ryan) and would be much more comfortable offering up Read, Mez and a first along with whatever AHL prospect or additional pick it takes.

    to be clear, i'm not in favor of trading Voracek just for the sake of trading him.

    i've said it before about a million times that i'd rather trade Read.


    HOWEVER, i think if ANA comes up to you after negotiations and says, "look, we agree on Meszaros and a 1st round pick, but it either Voracek is included or we don't have a deal".....i think you pull the trigger.


    i really like Voracek. he stepped up in the playoffs, both offensively and defensively, and he seemed to be starting to turn the proverbial corner. i could see him finally eclipsing the 20 goal mark this year.

    but again, this is a perennial 30+ goal scorer in Bobby Ryan that we are talking about.

    i'm not saying you have to overpay for him, but Voracek, Meszaros and a 1st is certainly reasonable IMO.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    512
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by StryderSox View Post
    I think more than just "playing with other 22 year olds" the real edge could be that we are a big market that can offer a chance to win year in and year out as well as having core elements that are young and will most liekly be together for a long time.

    I am also in agreement with avoiding including Voracek in any deal (even if it is for Ryan) and would be much more comfortable offering up Read, Mez and a first along with whatever AHL prospect or additional pick it takes.
    Thats basically where I was going with them all being young and in regards to Read. He already had a good year but how much better is he even going to become? I think he played well this year but he didnt leave himself much room to improve or get much better. Voracek has much more ability and potential to become a special player and I think this year was just the beginning. He showed me all year he plays an all around game, he does so many things that dont show up in the score sheet to help the team win. I think we will see him continue to improve and build upon what he accomplished last year and become more aggressive as a scorer. Im not willing to give up a 22 year old kid who does everything you need to win games who's only going to get better for a 25 year old goal scorer. Not worth it. So many people on here have him being shipped out as if trading him and others for Ryan is a good move for the Flyers.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Poconos
    Posts
    10,624
    vCash
    1500
    I dunno personally i think Mez + Vor + 1st is too much... I like Ryan a lot but damn Voracek can match his passing abilities and no to mention Vor is the one to carry the puck up into the zone...Ryan will give us more goals...and a bit better defense. Then again who knows what he could become with G on a line withhim

    Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    9,408
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofphilly View Post
    I dunno personally i think Mez + Vor + 1st is too much... I like Ryan a lot but damn Voracek can match his passing abilities and no to mention Vor is the one to carry the puck up into the zone...Ryan will give us more goals...and a bit better defense. Then again who knows what he could become with G on a line withhim
    which is why i say Read should be the one offered instead. i'll say it again. I love Jake. Hell, i share a name with the guy


    you gotta admit, though, the more you think about it, the harder it is to turn down Bobby Ryan for Jake Voracek.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,930
    vCash
    1500
    honestly, putting voracek on Gs line might be the best thihg to do:
    hartsy/G/Voracek
    simmer/briere/schenn

    its that third winger we need but we cooulr bring up a player or use our drsft pick for the 4th line. briere, schenn, and couts will have better years in terms of scoring.
    read/couts/talbot
    its the3/4 line that needs tampering

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    9,408
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    honestly, putting voracek on Gs line might be the best thihg to do:
    hartsy/G/Voracek
    simmer/briere/schenn

    its that third winger we need but we cooulr bring up a player or use our drsft pick for the 4th line. briere, schenn, and couts will have better years in terms of scoring.
    read/couts/talbot
    its the3/4 line that needs tampering
    which is why if Ryan or Parise aren't brought in, you go after someone like Parenteau. he'll add that extra scoring depth you would need to round out the forwards.


    also, Laughton isn't NHL ready. he's at least 2 years away.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    512
    vCash
    1500
    we should just sign Schultz and then deal him back to ANA for Ryan.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,884
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by StryderSox View Post
    My prediction is that we dont sign Parise, Suter or Schultz. We also dont make any "big splash" trades for Ryan, Nash, Weber, Yandle or otherwise.

    We resign Carle, an inexpensive yet experienced backup goalie and a 3rd line winger like a Parenteau or Penner like some others have suggested. Nothing pretty and nothing special. Just plug some holes and rely on the fact that all those young guys (Schenn, Couts, Voracek, Schenn, Gus, Wellwood, Read, etc.) will make our team better just due to the fact that they have the experience of a full NHL season under their belt combined with the playoff experiences of winning a hard fought emotional series with Pittsburgh and the heart break of losing a series that you were simply outworked in with New Jersey.

    and that should be the closing statement to this thread. Couldn't of said it any better.

    Wonder if anyone would consider letting Carle walk, replace him with Gus, to free up money for a quality 3rd line winger and have room for further adjustments. like PEM said, Gus should get tons of playing time this season.

    Coburn - Grossmann
    Mez - Schenn
    Tim - Gus

    ...I think that looks great lol


  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    2,596
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post
    and that should be the closing statement to this thread. Couldn't of said it any better.

    Wonder if anyone would consider letting Carle walk, replace him with Gus, to free up money for a quality 3rd line winger and have room for further adjustments. like PEM said, Gus should get tons of playing time this season.

    Coburn - Grossmann
    Mez - Schenn
    Tim - Gus

    ...I think that looks great lol
    Exactly What I want.

    lol bryz

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Poconos
    Posts
    10,624
    vCash
    1500
    thats a HUGE possibility, but if they let Carle walk, i bet they go after Zach HARD....

    Gus is pretty good, hes 6th dman good. And I've said it a couple of times, i wouldnt be against bringing carle back but if we had to judge our CURRENT dman it would be something like this

    Timmo
    Coburn
    Gross / Mez
    Mez / Gross
    Carle / Schenn
    Schenn / Carle

    So is Carle worth the 4 - 4.5 that we would offer him? I dunno man im still juggling that. We could clear that and just has Gus be his replacement kid can bring it up, can pass and has a laser shot... he wont charge the net like Carle will, because Gus actually plays a bit better defense. Gus plays better man but Carle can skate faster getting back, so its such a double edge sword.

    Regardless we have plenty of options on the AHL level too...

    Bart - Manning - MAB ....and im making a bold prediction here... I expect to see Lauridsen in a Flyers jersey for about 15-25 games this year kind of like Gus last year.

    Im also excited to see what Kessel does this year can wait to see him in some actual AHL action.

    Sorry off topic... lol

    I just dont see why we should pay a 5th / 6th dman 4.5 million just doesnt make sense imo...

    Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    155
    vCash
    1500
    To all those suggesting Gus be the 6th d man need to consider the fact that someone will eventually get injured. When (not if) that happens we will be right back to where we were this year plugging in Bourdon or whoever in that spot. Gus shows promise and I like the way he plays but after him we have no one who wont be a liability on the ice. Resign carle or another top 4 for that reason.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    9,408
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofphilly View Post
    thats a HUGE possibility, but if they let Carle walk, i bet they go after Zach HARD....

    Gus is pretty good, hes 6th dman good. And I've said it a couple of times, i wouldnt be against bringing carle back but if we had to judge our CURRENT dman it would be something like this

    Timmo
    Coburn
    Gross / Mez
    Mez / Gross
    Carle / Schenn
    Schenn / Carle

    So is Carle worth the 4 - 4.5 that we would offer him? I dunno man im still juggling that. We could clear that and just has Gus be his replacement kid can bring it up, can pass and has a laser shot... he wont charge the net like Carle will, because Gus actually plays a bit better defense. Gus plays better man but Carle can skate faster getting back, so its such a double edge sword.

    Regardless we have plenty of options on the AHL level too...

    Bart - Manning - MAB ....and im making a bold prediction here... I expect to see Lauridsen in a Flyers jersey for about 15-25 games this year kind of like Gus last year.

    Im also excited to see what Kessel does this year can wait to see him in some actual AHL action.

    Sorry off topic... lol

    I just dont see why we should pay a 5th / 6th dman 4.5 million just doesnt make sense imo...

    first of all, it's not really off topic. it just really further proves my point as to why it would be ok to include Mez in a trade for Ryan. the Flyers really do have some nice depth at D now.


    i disagree, though, in you saying that Carle is a 5/6 defenseman. on most teams, he's top 4. the Flyers, however, due to their depth at the position, would probably have him at 5 if he were to return and Mez were to leave.

    Coburn - Grossmann

    Kimmo - Schenn

    Carle - Gus


    actually in all honesty, you could flip Carle and Schenn there, and Carle would still be in your top 4.


    he turns the puck over, yes, A LOT. but he's still a solid, puck moving defenseman. don't expect him to clear anyone from the crease; that's just not his game.


    you're being a little too harsh on Carle.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    9,408
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by allphillyman359 View Post
    To all those suggesting Gus be the 6th d man need to consider the fact that someone will eventually get injured. When (not if) that happens we will be right back to where we were this year plugging in Bourdon or whoever in that spot. Gus shows promise and I like the way he plays but after him we have no one who wont be a liability on the ice. Resign carle or another top 4 for that reason.
    you can't have a solid defenseman riding your bench all year just in case someone might kinda sorda possibly maybe get hurt. that's too much money to invest in a guy that may only play 10 games for you.


    **** happens. you can only plan so much for stuff like that. and regardless, the team is deep enough up front and (hopefully now that he has a season under his belt) in net that they can make up for some defensive injuries during the season. playoffs, that's another story.


    but again, you can't spend money on guys you hope don't play.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    155
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    you can't have a solid defenseman riding your bench all year just in case someone might kinda sorda possibly maybe get hurt. that's too much money to invest in a guy that may only play 10 games for you.


    **** happens. you can only plan so much for stuff like that. and regardless, the team is deep enough up front and (hopefully now that he has a season under his belt) in net that they can make up for some defensive injuries during the season. playoffs, that's another story.


    but again, you can't spend money on guys you hope don't play.
    gus is already signed so i dont know what your talking about with the bolded text. The guy we would sign would be our 6th with gus rounding out at 7th.

    At the end of the day playoffs are the most important part by an exponential margin. The odds of the starting season 6th d man becoming the 5th d man by the end of the season are great, at least 50% if not higher.

    Gus would be a fine 6th if we had capable hands ready to step in at the 7th spot, we dont.

    Look at last year, we were alot deeper on D going in and it ended up being a major liability. We cant afford to have gus as our 6th on day 1, too much risk of repeating the same exact situation we were in this year.

    Your right we cant foresee the future but there are alot of trends we need to take into account. Players get injured, this is a longterm constant not simply a possibility. Disregarding long term trends, saying **** happens and crossing your fingers is not a good strategy.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Poconos
    Posts
    10,624
    vCash
    1500
    I just dont know... I thought i was ok with giving Carle 4 - 4.5 but the more and more and closer and closer it gets, i just dont think we are. I think were doing other things....

    Thats what I love about Homer... always keeps you guessing.

    Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •