Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Moves

vCash
    I'm betting that we get Parise because we overpay for him. He fits the Flyer mold so perfectly. Remember, when rumors were between the Rangers, Flyers, and Wings, he did come out and say that he is NOT going to the Rangers! lol Total Flyers move there haha (jp). I think we should take a shot a Justin Shultz and if not him, maybe hit up Wideman. Is Garrison that dude from FL with the rocket shot? He might actually flourish in Philly with the bodies we are able to put out in front on the PP.

Mez-Garrison
    Coby-Grossman
    Schenn-Kimo
    (because I think Shultz is kinda a long shot)

vCash
    Carle should look better next to Schenn than he did with Bourdon and Lilja. Even if he doesn't improve, he's still a top 4 defenseman on most teams in the NHL. This Carle nonsense is out of control. He is statistically the best FA defenseman and he's willing to sign here at a discount and people are listing him as the 4th or 5th most desirable defensive signing?

Anyway, I'm hoping for Carle to sign once FA opens. Then I think a lot of what happens after that depends on whether or not the Flyers have gotten Schultz. If they do get Schultz I would expect a trade of Meszaros, either for a scorer (Ryan) or for some picks. It's not even that I want to see Meszaros gone, but if Schultz is what they say he is I don't see how you don't make this move. If the trade is for picks I expect the Flyers to make a run at Parise first. Then like everyone else said, if they can't get him I like Parenteau.

The rest of the guys I like would be more for the bottom 6 than the top 6. I think we're already ok at forward, but to get a scorer like Ryan or Parise would be a luxury the Flyers would be able to afford if they signed Schultz.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    I'm betting that we get Parise because we overpay for him. He fits the Flyer mold so perfectly. Remember, when rumors were between the Rangers, Flyers, and Wings, he did come out and say that he is NOT going to the Rangers! lol Total Flyers move there haha (jp). I think we should take a shot a Justin Shultz and if not him, maybe hit up Wideman. Is Garrison that dude from FL with the rocket shot? He might actually flourish in Philly with the bodies we are able to put out in front on the PP.

Mez-Garrison
    Coby-Grossman
    Schenn-Kimo
    (because I think Shultz is kinda a long shot)
    Why would we sign garrison who Is likely to get even more then carle and who ever suggested wideman, if you don't like carles defensive play he is going to drive you insane, and no Shultz should be our top priority, get him and so many other possibilities open up money wise, and Shultz might not be as hard to get as some of you are making, while yes it will be challenging, we do have the advantage of him having the same agency as Grossmann and pronger, so they could get an edge that way
    Last edited by Giroux 4 MVP; 06-26-2012 at 11:35 AM.

FLYERS/EAGLES

vCash
    My prediction is that we dont sign Parise, Suter or Schultz. We also dont make any "big splash" trades for Ryan, Nash, Weber, Yandle or otherwise.

We resign Carle, an inexpensive yet experienced backup goalie and a 3rd line winger like a Parenteau or Penner like some others have suggested. Nothing pretty and nothing special. Just plug some holes and rely on the fact that all those young guys (Schenn, Couts, Voracek, Schenn, Gus, Wellwood, Read, etc.) will make our team better just due to the fact that they have the experience of a full NHL season under their belt combined with the playoff experiences of winning a hard fought emotional series with Pittsburgh and the heart break of losing a series that you were simply outworked in with New Jersey.

vCash

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by StryderSox View Post
    My prediction is that we dont sign Parise, Suter or Schultz. We also dont make any "big splash" trades for Ryan, Nash, Weber, Yandle or otherwise.

We resign Carle, an inexpensive yet experienced backup goalie and a 3rd line winger like a Parenteau or Penner like some others have suggested. Nothing pretty and nothing special. Just plug some holes and rely on the fact that all those young guys (Schenn, Couts, Voracek, Schenn, Gus, Wellwood, Read, etc.) will make our team better just due to the fact that they have the experience of a full NHL season under their belt combined with the playoff experiences of winning a hard fought emotional series with Pittsburgh and the heart break of losing a series that you were simply outworked in with New Jersey.

I agree with this almost completely, however I would LOVE to snag Schultz for so many reasons AND I still think they make offers to Parise and try to get Ryan if that falls through.

Especially considering how Ryan has expressed such an interest to come here. Flyers offered Meszaros, Vorachek, and a first for Ryan but Ducks are hesitant due to the fact that Vorachek doesn't want to come and they'd be trading one unhappy forward for another. They want Read too but Flyers will not give up two quality forwards for Ryan. (according to a reliable source)

BUT who knows yanno?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    the worst and best part about schultz is that all offers to him will be the same for the same $ and cap hit ... he just gets choice of where to play ... so we have a 1/30 shot
    Realistically, they have a 1/10 shot. I don't think he's going to the Islanders or the Maple Leafs.

The best approach might be to have G and Pronger reach out to the kid directly (player to player contact is permitted) and tell him to come play here.

vCash
    and thats why its all rumors and speculation but omg.... WHY YOU NO HERE YET SUNDAY?!?!

Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimCirino View Post
    I agree with this almost completely, however I would LOVE to snag Schultz for so many reasons AND I still think they make offers to Parise and try to get Ryan if that falls through.

Especially considering how Ryan has expressed such an interest to come here. Flyers offered Meszaros, Vorachek, and a first for Ryan but Ducks are hesitant due to the fact that Vorachek doesn't want to come and they'd be trading one unhappy forward for another. They want Read too but Flyers will not give up two quality forwards for Ryan. (according to a reliable source)

BUT who knows yanno?
    I think Parise is a mistake at 7+ million and probably 10 years. As I mentioned before with this teams history of concussions and given how frequent they are in the game today we have to get away from these decade long deals that always seem to come back and bite us in the ***. Not to mention that we have to think long term in the sense that down the road Giroux, Schenn and Couts will all need to be resigned and will probably cost a pretty penny when that time comes.

As far as Ryan goes I would much prefer to go after him but if Anaheim is balking at Voracek (who I am already not keen on giving up) along with Mez and a first I dont see what else we could offer other than subbing Read for Voracek and possibily adding a prospect or pick. The issue here is that we arent really plugging any holes with Ryan and are creating a new one on defense (assuming he costs us a top 6 forward and a top 4 d-man with a pick).

vCash
    maybe it's just me, or maybe you guys are just forgetting about him, but i happen to think if the team were to trade Meszaros in a deal for Bobby Ryan and resign Carle, the team would be fine with Gustaffson as their 6th defenseman.

i think he's earned his shot. more importantly, i don't think there's anything left for him to learn in the AHL. he's much better off learning under Kimmo for Kimmo's possibly last season here.

i mean the two are almost identical; he's the perfect guy for Gus to learn under while playing for the next year.

trading away Meszaros doesn't handcuff the Flyers on defense AS LONG AS CARLE OR SCHULTZ IS SIGNED. and that's possibly what's holding up any potential deal with Anaheim, along with their interest in Parise.

Schultz officially becomes available on Wednesday. I would expect that by next Saturday, we will know what the Flyers have in store for the upcoming season.

vCash
    Penner? No thanks I don't want him remotely close to this team

FLYERS/EAGLES

vCash
    What I think should be next on the flyers list should be Shultz. He can be negotiated with starting tomorrow, so you can work on that in advance and know if that's possible by Sunday. It's the most logical move to make here. If you somehow do manage to snag him, then you can either sign a big name FA such as Parise(who I think is going to overpaid in years by someone so I'd be hesitant about that) or you now have enough defensive depth that you can make a trade for a top 6 winger(obvious name is Ryan here...). All of that being said the team can look nasty next year very easily.

vCash
    Ive been reading these boards for awhile and Im kinda shocked people would even consider trading Voracek. He was real solid this year and he is only going to get better. I just hope he starts looking for his shot more since I think hes one of our guys who can actually be a consistent scorer. I wouldnt really even consider trading him. I think Ryan can be had for less and if Read has to be involved I would move him over Jakub any day.

Also one thing I havent seen mentioned for Schultz, besides being with Grossman and Prongers agency being our only edge, doesnt anyone think our general average age can be an edge for him to come play in Philly? He'll be 22, Luke is 22, about 5 or 6 more guys are in that general age range and he would fit right in and it'd be a pretty comfortable situation. I think that could possibly be a real edge for the Flyers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bustedstuff14 View Post
    Ive been reading these boards for awhile and Im kinda shocked people would even consider trading Voracek. He was real solid this year and he is only going to get better. I just hope he starts looking for his shot more since I think hes one of our guys who can actually be a consistent scorer. I wouldnt really even consider trading him. I think Ryan can be had for less and if Read has to be involved I would move him over Jakub any day.

Also one thing I havent seen mentioned for Schultz, besides being with Grossman and Prongers agency being our only edge, doesnt anyone think our general average age can be an edge for him to come play in Philly? He'll be 22, Luke is 22, about 5 or 6 more guys are in that general age range and he would fit right in and it'd be a pretty comfortable situation. I think that could possibly be a real edge for the Flyers.
    I think more than just "playing with other 22 year olds" the real edge could be that we are a big market that can offer a chance to win year in and year out as well as having core elements that are young and will most liekly be together for a long time.

I am also in agreement with avoiding including Voracek in any deal (even if it is for Ryan) and would be much more comfortable offering up Read, Mez and a first along with whatever AHL prospect or additional pick it takes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    maybe it's just me, or maybe you guys are just forgetting about him, but i happen to think if the team were to trade Meszaros in a deal for Bobby Ryan and resign Carle, the team would be fine with Gustaffson as their 6th defenseman.

i think he's earned his shot. more importantly, i don't think there's anything left for him to learn in the AHL. he's much better off learning under Kimmo for Kimmo's possibly last season here.

i mean the two are almost identical; he's the perfect guy for Gus to learn under while playing for the next year.

trading away Meszaros doesn't handcuff the Flyers on defense AS LONG AS CARLE OR SCHULTZ IS SIGNED. and that's possibly what's holding up any potential deal with Anaheim, along with their interest in Parise.

Schultz officially becomes available on Wednesday. I would expect that by next Saturday, we will know what the Flyers have in store for the upcoming season.
    From your little keyboarding fingers to Homers ears!! ( or eyes in this case)...........if we could move Mez to swap salary and get an upgrade somewhere I"m good with moving him and replacing him with Carle and going with Gus. My position will remain the same.....I'll take both guys..but in an ideal world I'd prefer to have either Mez OR Carle but not both. Rather use their money to upgrade somewhere else and run with Gus.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StryderSox View Post
    I think more than just "playing with other 22 year olds" the real edge could be that we are a big market that can offer a chance to win year in and year out as well as having core elements that are young and will most liekly be together for a long time.

I am also in agreement with avoiding including Voracek in any deal (even if it is for Ryan) and would be much more comfortable offering up Read, Mez and a first along with whatever AHL prospect or additional pick it takes.
    Problem is I also read somewhere awhile back that Schultz is pretty good buddies with a few guys on the Rangers......I think it was Callahan and at least one or two other guys that all played on the same team together a few years ago......so the Rangers are also listed on those teams with "connections" that could entice him there.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast