Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Minnesota Wild Official 2012 Offseason/Free Agency Thread

Figured an official 2012 offseason/FA thread was in order. I'll update this thread as much as possible with things concerning FA talks and minor signings so we don't have to have a clutter of useless threads. Also use this thread to discuss who you want in free agency, how much/how many years you'd be willing to commit, and what impact you think it would have on the 2012 Wild and beyond.

Free Agency is coming soon and I'm sure the Wild are preparing their pitches. Let's hope they're ready to land some players that will contribute and push this team to the playoffs next year.
    Last edited by NYMetropolitans; 06-25-2012 at 05:51 PM.

vCash

NHL Free Agency: Wild Face Tough Task Trying To Lure Zach Parise Or Ryan Suter To Min

The Minnesota Wild want to lure Zach Parise and Ryan Suter, but they've got a tough time ahead of them with teams like the Red Wings and Penguins also seeking their services.

Jun 25, 2012 - The Minnesota Wild certainly have the dollars going into free agency that they will need to land some big names. The question is, will any of the big names want to take that money to play for the Wild?

Zach Parise and Ryan Suter are the two big names this season in NHL free agency and the Wild would love to add both of them to their squad. The problem is, there's plenty of other teams in the league that also want them to join up, and there are some high quality team names on that list. Detroit and Pittsburgh are just two of the teams looking for big names to join them in FA, and the Penguins especially proved they were ready to make some noise this off season when they traded Jordan Staal to the Carolina Hurricanes.

Parise is from Minnesota, as is Suter's wife. That's probably not going to be an incredibly persuasive argument, even paired with millions of dollars. They'll need something a bit better.

GM Chuck Fletcher of the Wild, according to the Star Tribune, has got a few strategies in mind in order to try and lure one or two big names to Minnesota. He's got the money, and he also thinks that the team has got the young guns to show improvement is right around the corner:

"This is a start of a new era," Fletcher said. "The fact they're turning pro is significant. It's not just down the road anymore. We can actually see the road now. What's exciting for me is when you look at it now, just from a prospect standpoint, you look at the forwards we have, the goaltenders we have, the defensemen we have, it's a well-rounded prospect pool.

"Our best days are ahead of us. We all want to get there tomorrow. But if we have a little bit of patience here, we're all going to be rewarded in a big way."

Come July 1, we'll all find out if the Wild's sales pitch to the big names will be able to get the job done. If they do end up landing even one of the two, it will be a bit of a shock to the hockey world. There are teams with more money, more cap space and more success over their histories than the Wild but Fletcher hopes his pitch of future success will do enough.
    Source: SB Nation

vCash
    That has to the pitch for Fletcher: the future. He has to tell and show Parise/Suter that these guys they have in their prospect pool are no joke, and that their time is already here or coming soon. Also have to sell them on being the face of the Wild franchise and going down in Wild history as legends, not only because they bring the Wild to the playoff, but because they will win a Stanley Cup. Hopefully that will open their eyes wide enough to see that money on that check and that paired with some wining and dining will be their pitch.

vCash
    Parise and Suter = Boner

vCash
    It's going to be very tough for Minnesota to lure one of these guys in, near-impossible for both. But hey, if they Rangers don't get them, I'm pulling for the Wild.

vCash
    The rangers most definitely wont be able to get praise, He said he wont go there. Any idea how much cap space the wild have?

I would like the wild to pick up Suter, but Parise, leave him to the Avs....I mean 28th in spending last year, they'll have plenty of cap room to sign Parise....

vCash
    According to calculations taking all of my cap numbers from capgeek.com The Wild should have about $19,769,723 in cap space.

vCash
    It's nice to finally see the wild going after these top caliber free agents even if we dont sign them. If we miss on these two like Pidg has mentoned, we should go after Semin

vCash

Mehhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Killerjug View Post
    It's nice to finally see the wild going after these top caliber free agents even if we dont sign them. If we miss on these two like Pidg has mentoned, we should go after Semin
    Semin has shown he can score goals, but has also shown to be a bit of a loafer.. I'm not sure he is someone the wild wants on the roster right now with all the young guys.. I personally hope they stay away from him.. I'd like to see them go after Doan.. He's played his whole career in the Coyotes orgainzation, but maybe its time to move.. IF they wiff of Parise I hope anyone else they sign that is a C/F is a short term deal. Maybe they swing a trade for bobby Ryan. I'm hoping that the Penguins and Wings are both teams that need to establish DEFFENSE. Look at the Playoffs for the flightless birds,, all signs point towards them needing better D... Not more O. And the wings need to replace Lidstrom.. The wild are the team that more than anything needs O and will make a hard push for Parise. I'd be all for some over priced 1-3 year deals on some guys but NOTHING long term. That will clear space when the young guys are due extensions AND there are some potentially strong free agents in 2-3 years again. (In 14 Gaborik, Marleau, Thornton, Kessel, the Sedin twins, Stasny) (in 15 the FA class is loaded) Of course all the future free agents could be extended between now and then. But when we really know waht we have for prospects and their contracts that is the time to try and Push the team over the edge and make it a long term contender via free agency. While, I think we need D this year, our Defensive D is ok/solid... We need 1 Offensive D to take some of the load off of Gilbert and one lesser offensive D guy for depth, but i'm not sure we want to sign one and take away from our roster spots for that. WE NEED OFFENSE.

OK< at this point i'm drinking the Kool-Aid (i've been fighting it for the whole off season), BREAK THE BANK ON PARISE Offer him 9mill per season. Front load it if need be. Get it done!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tg1 View Post
    Semin has shown he can score goals, but has also shown to be a bit of a loafer.. I'm not sure he is someone the wild wants on the roster right now with all the young guys.. I personally hope they stay away from him.. I'd like to see them go after Doan..
    Im not sold of Semin being a loafer, I just think he was disgruntled in Washington. Tough to keep hearing Alex this and Alex that when thats your name and your a world class winger not getting the respect you deserve. I remember his best season, where he had a career year and points while also playing on the PK and doing a pretty damn good job at it. And thats exactly what he says he wants to do be used in all circumstances and be a real team player. Yes he looked lazy sometimes, but give him a star role I think he will get excited pretty quick. Also Doan will never come to us. He is playing on a young team that cant win in the playoffs. If he goes to any team it will be one with a legit cup chance. And a 9m a year Parise is making more then Stamkos, Malkin etc...No thanks haha. Im ok with somewhere in the 7m range but 9 is crazy. Our pitch is we have a young well rounded team that has shown it can be successful. We have a chance of winning, can pay him the most, he will be coming home, and he will be the FACE of the Wild for the next 10+ years easily.
    Last edited by pidg88; 06-26-2012 at 10:25 PM.

vCash
    If you think that we are going to be able to sing Parise for a 7mill cap hit its going to be a contract that will bring him to retirment as a WIld player for sure.. It will be HEAVLY front loaded. And likely will boarder on Cap cercumvention(SP?) I can promise you that if we can sign him for a 7mill or smaller cap hit, i'm going to be much more excited and will GLADLY be wrong. I hope like He!! you are right!!! But.. i'm also ok with us going overboard..

As for Semin, i'm not convinced he is a loafer either, but i'm less convinced that he has a solid work ethic though. If he really wants to be a team player, he will play when the coaches ask him to play.. not whine about not being on the PK, or PP, or his minutes. Don't get me wrong, the man has tallent and A LOT of it.. If we were closer to contending and I felt that he could put us over the top, i'd be all for it.. I just want guys on this team that have more than a 1 year track record of being GREAT locker room guys who give 100% all day every day.. Semin has a history of being hot and cold.. Its fine to be cold IF you are giving the effort.. the dig on him is that many think he is not giving 100%.. I don't care what ANYONE THINKS... I DON"T WANT SOMEONE WHO IS NOT GOING TO GIVE 100% all day everyday ON THIS TEAM >>> LET ALONE AROUND THE PROSPECTS WE HAVE!!! (its my opinion and I may be wrong.. but its a fee country)

vCash
    Haha I understand what you are saying Tg, but its hard to justify giving him more then what Stamkos is making considering Stamkos out produces him by 20-30 pts per yer. Stamkos is heavily front loaded but his cap hit is 7.5, that should be able to be done for Parise.

vCash
    Wild Re-Signs Two; Extends Offers To Eight
    The Wild has resigned forwards Chad Rau and Stephane Veilleux to two-way contracts

News has trickled out over the past week as to the contract statuses of several players currently with the Minnesota Wild organization. Today, the club clarified things by announcing the re-signing of two players, and qualifying offers made to eight players. Three players did not receive qualifying offers.

Rau’s deal is for two years and Veilleux’s is a one-year contract.

The Wild made qualifying offers to the following restricted free agents: C Cody Almond, G Dennis Endras, D Justin Falk, D Chay Genoway, C David McIntyre, RW Carson McMillan, RW Jarod Palmer and RW Nick Palmieri. Almond did sign with Servette in Geneva of the Swiss League last week, making it unlikely that he would re-sign with Minnesota.

Sending offers to restricted free agents allows the team to retain their negotiating rights. If the Wild does not extend offers to restricted free agents by July 1, they become unrestricted free agents.

The Wild did not make qualifying offers to the following restricted free agents: D Kris Fredheim, RW Nick Johnson and LW Guillaume Latendresse. However, General Manager Chuck Fletcher has said the Wild has been in talks to sign a deal with Latendresse.

In nine games with Minnesota, Rau scored two goals, both memorable game winners. Rau’s first-career goal came against the Dallas Stars on Hockey Day Minnesota. On Hockey Day America in front of a national television audience on NBC, Rau scored the lone goal on a no-look shot against Tim Thomas and the Boston Bruins.

Rau spent most of the season playing for the Wild’s American Hockey League affiliate, the Houston Aeros. In 67 games with the Aeros, he scored 14 goals and 21 assists, ranking fifth on Houston with 35 points.

Rau signed as a free agent with the Wild on May 17, 2010. The Eden Prairie native was a four-year standout at Colorado College before signing with the Minnesota. In four seasons at Colorado, Rau totaled 73 goals, 67 assists and 140 points with the Tigers.

Rau is currently on the third leg of the Wells Fargo Minnesota Wild Road Tour, making stops today in International Falls and Warroad. For a complete list of Road Tour stops, click here.

Veilleux compiled two assists and 15 penalty minutes in 21 games with Minnesota after being acquired in a trade from New Jersey on Feb. 24 along with defenseman Kurtis Foster, right wing Nick Palmieri, a 2012 second round pick and a 2013 third round pick in exchange for D Marek Zidlicky.

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound native of St. Georges de Beauce, Que., skated in one game with New Jersey and recorded 22 points (11-11=22) and 53 PIM in 40 games with Albany (AHL). Veilleux has collected 101 points (46-55=101) and 317 PIM in 460 career NHL games with Minnesota, Tampa Bay and New Jersey. The 30 year old ranks eighth on the Wild’s all-time games played list and 10th in PIM. Veilleux was originally selected by Minnesota in the third round (93rd overall) of the 2001 NHL Entry Draft.
    Link: http://wild.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636040
    Last edited by SportsNY; 06-26-2012 at 11:24 AM.

vCash
    we'll see if rau can add anything as a 4th liner

vCash
    CHad's brother Kyle is going to be a stud in the NHL someday. Kyle has already completely changed the recent culture of Gopher hockey almost single handedly.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast