Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    There is a rumor it seems on Twitter of all places (trying to find where it came from) that is spreading saying Al Horford for the #2 draft pick. Is that a good deal to any of you all? Who at 2 would we get that we think will become better than Horford? I like Drummond, but Horford is a all-star center. If we trade Horford and keep Smith, no way we draft another PF. MKG maybe? Also would it be wise to trade Horford to the Bobcats?

Edit: oh, seems that it got started by somebody on ESPN.com. Nevermind.
    Last edited by *Silver&Black*; 06-26-2012 at 09:29 PM.

McGOAT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Silver&Black* View Post
    There is a rumor it seems on Twitter of all places (trying to find where it came from) that is spreading saying Al Horford for the #2 draft pick. Is that a good deal to any of you all? Who at 2 would we get that we think will become better than Horford? I like Drummond, but Horford is a all-star center. If we trade Horford and keep Smith, no way we draft another PF. MKG maybe? Also would it be wise to trade Horford to the Bobcats?

Edit: oh, seems that it got started by somebody on ESPN.com. Nevermind.
    So you don't think Drummond is a center? Also could just be the start of major changes for the Hawks and it clears money off the 2013-2014 season to make a run at Howard in FA.

But I would think the hawks would want just a little bit more than one pick for Al.

vCash
    Or just another thought....... they take that#2 pick and Joe and offer it to Orl for Howard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    So you don't think Drummond is a center? Also could just be the start of major changes for the Hawks and it clears money off the 2013-2014 season to make a run at Howard in FA.

But I would think the hawks would want just a little bit more than one pick for Al.
    My bad, I meant Robinson for the PF part. Trading Horford for Robinson would be useless if we keep Smith. Trading Horford for Drummond means you are giving up an all-star center beginning his prime in hopes for a development center to grow into a star. More would have to be added if it's for Drummond, or the Hawks favor someone like MKG or Beal more than Horford so they would do this deal.
    Last edited by *Silver&Black*; 06-26-2012 at 09:53 PM.

McGOAT

vCash
    Drummond is a project, it's probably going to take a few years to see what he's really got, because he didn't show it at UConn, at least on offense. I liked what I saw defensively though, he should be a very good post defender and offensive rebounder. I don't know how much Calhoun had to do with his underwhelming season, but he will need additional coaching in the pros, wherever he ends up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bravo95 View Post
    i agree but if that's the case, the biggest hole is at small forward.
    +100

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    Drummond is a project, it's probably going to take a few years to see what he's really got, because he didn't show it at UConn, at least on offense. I liked what I saw defensively though, he should be a very good post defender and offensive rebounder. I don't know how much Calhoun had to do with his underwhelming season, but he will need additional coaching in the pros, wherever he ends up.
    We know he'll need alot more coaching, that is a given. But the SA model was to build around a big, Drummond has the talent. He's already Big, Strong and Athletic. Defensively he should be able to play right away. And as I stated, this could be just the begining and it clears cap room, but I do think Char would have to give us more than just #2. Maybe #2 and that protected pick they got from Det?

All said and done...... I'm sure Mr. Ferry noticed the hawks made the play-off's and the 4th seed without Al. That could be in play as well. You clear room and still make the play-off's while getting a young big to groom or trade. Making this a more attractive city for FA.

vCash
    23. Atlanta Hawks: Tony Wroten Jr., Washington Huskies

Jason Szenes/Getty Images

The trend continues as we hit the Hawks, with each expert offering a different player at a different position. The most likely name is Tony Wroten Jr., as the Hawks bring in a more physical and athletic form of Jamal Crawford.

Consider him their Tyreke Evans.

While Jeff Teague played admirably in the 2012 season, he clearly cannot shoulder the workload with such weak depth at the position. Wroten Jr. would solve that issue by providing the Hawks with a player who can alternate between the point and the 2, attacking the basket with his powerful dribble and also facilitating the offense in transition.

As long as Larry Drew can tame Wroten's wild play, the former Washington Huskie could pay dividends for Atlanta come the postseason.

Chad Ford, ESPN: Tony Wroten Jr., Washington Huskies (PG)

Scott Howard Cooper, NBA: Andrew Nicholson, St. Bonaventure Bonnies (PF)

Sam Amick, Sports Illustrated: Will Barton, Memphis Tigers (SG)
    [/QUOTE]

Guess we'll see in a few days.
    Last edited by SB75; 06-26-2012 at 10:18 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SB75
    And as I stated, this could be just the begining and it clears cap room
    Josh comes off the books next year and has repeatedly stated that he won't sign an extension and wants out. Zaza also comes off the books next season, and who knows what will happen with him. That's almost $20M.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    We know he'll need alot more coaching, that is a given. But the SA model was to build around a big, Drummond has the talent. He's already Big, Strong and Athletic. Defensively he should be able to play right away. And as I stated, this could be just the begining and it clears cap room, but I do think Char would have to give us more than just #2. Maybe #2 and that protected pick they got from Det?

All said and done...... I'm sure Mr. Ferry noticed the hawks made the play-off's and the 4th seed without Al. That could be in play as well. You clear room and still make the play-off's while getting a young big to groom or trade. Making this a more attractive city for FA.
    This makes sense and makes me feel better about a Horford trade if one happens. Though, I'm not too concerned about not making the playoffs. I would rather rebuild totally and getting better draft positions (while trading away our talent and getting more young talent) instead of making the playoffs only to select in the lower 20s in drafts while we wait for Drummond to develop.

Trade Horford for #2. Select Drummond.

Trade Smith now (so we can tank) for a 2013 1st rounder. Trade anybody else you can too.

Tank. Even if we don't get the 1st pick in 2013 draft, we would have a top 10 pick plus another 1st from the Smith trade. Package for someone like Shabazz Muhammad/Archie Goodwin?

Atlanta finally has superstar potential with Shabazz Muhammad and Andre Drummond. Good to dream.
    Last edited by *Silver&Black*; 06-26-2012 at 10:27 PM.

McGOAT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SB75
    We know he'll need alot more coaching, that is a given. But the SA model was to build around a big, Drummond has the talent.
    The Spurs and Cavs were built around depth, that's why they didn't mortgage everything for superstars. Read all of his interviews after getting hired here. If his comments and background are any indictation, Ferry wants to change the organization in part by building a complete roster not just around a couple of players.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 06-26-2012 at 10:37 PM.

vCash
    It's starts with 1 though (Duncan/LeBron). Have to build around something.

McGOAT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Silver&Black*
    It's starts with 1 though (Duncan/LeBron). Have to build around something.
    Correct, but there were no questions about Lebron and Duncan when they came out. They were sure things, the only debate was how many MVPs and championships would they would win. Ferry had the best team in the East and didn't gamble on overhyped Amare. Everything about his background shows that he values the sure things. Now if he believes Drummond is polished and worth the gamble on his first big move, I could see it him doing it, but I haven't seen anything from Ferry or Drummond to suggest he would see view him that way. I mean, Drummond is not in the running for the #1 overall pick and isn't even the concensus 2nd best big in the draft. And keep in mind, Ferry has been studying these same players for the Spurs.

vCash
    The Spurs and Cavs were built around depth, that's why they didn't mortgage everything for superstars. Read all of his interviews after getting hired here. If his comments and background are any indictation, Ferry wants to change the organization in part by building a complete roster not just around a couple of players.
    Duncan was also an established talent out of college who didn't need time to learn and grow. I don't mind trading Al or Josh or anyone and I like Drummond, but let's not kid ourselves San Antonio model and Josh Smith in the same sentence is stretching it.

If not for a Top 5 pick for Josh/Al I'd like Ferry to trade for something in the range of 11 to 16 and a player that would be a rotational major minutes guy for depth. Add a veteran through free agency (Camby/Miller/such guys like that). The 23 pick should be a rotation guy right away with at least a NBA skill that transfers immediately (shooting/defense/rebounding).

Unless your blowing it up don't draft projects. You can only draft projects IMO(which may be worth 2 cents) at least if your rebuilding or have something established on your team to really allow that player to learn and grow from the right players and coaches we shall see if thats Ferry's mindset or not.

I like the Wroten kid, but I just don't know how he will fit if he stunts the growth of Teague.

One thing to keep in mind is that the reports of the Hawk being enamored with Wroten which I can see as being true and for some good reasons. Is Ferry enamored with him as well?
    Last edited by HulkHorford15; 06-26-2012 at 11:01 PM.

vCash
    Correct, but there were no questions about Lebron and Duncan when they came out. They were sure things, the only debate was how many MVPs and championships would they would win. Ferry had the best team in the East and didn't gamble on overhyped Amare. Everything about his background shows that he values the sure things. Now if he believes Drummond is polished and worth the gamble on his first big move, I could see it him doing it, but I haven't seen anything from Ferry or Drummond to suggest he would see view him that way. I mean, Drummond is not in the running for the #1 overall pick and isn't even the concensus 2nd best big in the draft. And keep in mind, Ferry has been studying these same players for the Spurs.
    True. We just don't know what Ferry's plan is for this team yet, really exciting that a new vision has came in from the outside of the same ol' stuff that has been repeating itself for years here. Signing for 6 years just makes me believe he is ready to build his team and shouldn't waste time. If he sees someone at the top of this draft that he feels can become something in this league, hopefully he goes for it.

McGOAT

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast