Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Alexander Semin?

Now this is all assuming we don't get one of Nash/Ryan/Parise.
    I have been lobbying for us to sign him or trade for him for the last few seasons. He has a deadly shot, we all know that, he has single handingly killed us over the last 4 seasons.

With Gaborik out till late November, we don't have a big scoring threat. We can't rely on Kreider to come in and be the go to guy right off the bat. We can hope Dubinsky bounces back if he is still here, but it is still not enough.

I know the first thing you guys will say is "Torts will eat him alive" Or Torts would have him buried on the 4th line by October, but if you guys watched in the series against us he actually was back playing D and he bought into Dale Hunter's system.

If we can get his act together under Torts he can be a 35 goal scorer here for us and be very helpful alongside Gaborik when he comes back.
    I say we go for it on a 1 or 2 year deal.

vCash
    Well, in actuality, he has more ability than Ovechkin. His talent level is immense. And there are numerous people around the league that I've heard in broadcasts say that. He's a better skater, shooter, and puck handler.

But he's such a Russian. Not a Torts player.
    Has a terrible postseason too.

He's too talented not to get a look, but he's not at all the right player.

vCash
    He did show a bit more in the playoffs, in the way of back checking and blocking some shots, but it is very hard to envision a scenario if he's a Ranger, in which he does enough of what's needed to stay out of the doghouse.

Torts is famous for his disdain for Russians, and Semin is the exact type of player Torts is known to ride hard.

vCash
    First off, I doubt this happens... but maybe Sather makes a panic move late in the off-season if he strikes out on all other options. Let's hope it doesn't get to that point.

Secondly, I wouldn't really mind this move. Torts said in an interview with Mike Francesa that he understands that if Sather and co. bring in more offensive minded players, he will have to give them certain freedoms. Obviously he would still ask for effort on the defensive end, but I think he would back off a little.

Lastly... IF this were to happen, and that's a big if, Sather would obviously run it by Torts. Torts would obviously then say yes and in that case, would know what he is bringing in. He knows who semin is. If he finds his way here, he will play.

However, considering the type of player Semin is, I doubt he finds his way to new york.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyr1980 View Post
    Well, in actuality, he has more ability than Ovechkin. His talent level is immense. And there are numerous people around the league that I've heard in broadcasts say that. He's a better skater, shooter, and puck handler.

But he's such a Russian. Not a Torts player.
    Has a terrible postseason too.

He's too talented not to get a look, but he's not at all the right player.
    People used to use this argument when comparing John Daly to Tiger Woods...

it's a waste of time.

vCash
    I agree. For the game Torts has them playing, talent isn't enough. And it's not as if he's 21 or 22. He's 27 and the Russians aren't exactly famous for amending their style of play.

Bringing him in wouldn't kill me as he's got all world talent and a proven 40-goal guy.
    But I think if they did it, they'd wind up disappointed.

vCash
    Rumor has it, Rangers will pursue Semin.

vCash
    Maybe that's who Sather has been looking at all along?

Who knows, but if that's the case, you have to think Tortorella has given his approval. That would be a bit of a surprise.

vCash
    This will NEVER happen - Semin wants BIG money and a LOT of years - in the neighbor hood of 7 years $50 million... Not gonna happen

vCash
    I really wouldnt mind semin on this team but he is a soft player which I am okay with. We have plenty of other guys on this team that are grinders and forecheckers. This guy would be here for one reason only and that is to score goals. Thats what we need and we dont give up assets for him except for money, which we have guys lets not forget. You put semin on a line with a callahan and and say a richards and that is a very scary line. Turn around and make the trade for ryan and we are instant cup contenders and a very scary team.

vCash
    I'm not sure what his deal is really, not sure if he doesn't like Washington, he's lazy or he's just another Zherdev/Filitov but he's got great skills, he shows them sparingly though. He most likely wouldn't need a place to live in NY as he'd be full time resident of Torts doghouse which is one of two concerns in bringing him here. The second concern is the money, IMO he shouldn't get more than Callahan if he's gonna be on this team, and I highly doubt he wants to come here for that money and for those two reasons I don't see this happening.

vCash
    I'm sure he wants a big money, long-term deal. He's been on one year deals for each of the last 2 or 3 seasons, and at 28 you have to figure its time for that big pay day.

If he doesn't get it in North America, he certainly gets it in Russia.

vCash
    I am gonna go out on a limb here and go with this scary lineup

Hags Richards Ryan
    Semin Stephan Callahan (Gabs when he's back)
    Kreider AA ??
    Mitchell Boyle ??

We have the cap room to fill in a couple players still if need be and with that lineup offence shouldnt be a problem at all. This is assuming Dubi, Delzotto and a prospect and pick go to Anahiem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocowear21 View Post
    I am gonna go out on a limb here and go with this scary lineup

Hags Richards Ryan
    Semin Stephan Callahan (Gabs when he's back)
    Kreider AA ??
    Mitchell Boyle ??

We have the cap room to fill in a couple players still if need be and with that lineup offence shouldnt be a problem at all. This is assuming Dubi, Delzotto and a prospect and pick go to Anahiem
    Looks good, on paper, but leaves big holes on defense, which Torts stated needs to be upgraded.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
    Looks good, on paper, but leaves big holes on defense, which Torts stated needs to be upgraded.
    I agree, we were already two d short this playoffs and it hurt us the more the playoffs went on as our d, especially McDonagh and DelZotto looked tired as it got later into it and when you are tired, you make bad decisions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast