Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Visnovsky may play in the KHL (or Slovakia) rather than report to the Islanders

Is Newly Acquired Lubomir Visnovsky Going to Stay in Europe?

Friday night at the Coliseum draft party, Islanders radio man Chris King interviewed the newly acquired Lubomir Visnovsky via phone from Europe. Visnovsky was at home in Slovakia and there’s now a chance that he may stay in Slovakia to play or even head to the KHL in Russia. The slovak website hokejportal.net snagged an interview with Visnovsky after he was acquired by the Islanders yesterday. (Credit to NYIFC for finding it)

In the interview, Visnovsky says that he is weighing offers from both the KHL and from a team in his home country of Slovakia. He has not come to a decision as to where he will play in 2012-13 yet, but it appears that he is seriously considering the other offers. Here’s the Google Translate version of the pertinent questions:

In early May, you said that you expect in the NHL last season. Still this is true?
    “Still, but I can say that I get a bid from Russia and I think about them. He and his wife have already talked about the fact that in New York can not not go and I’ll take any offer from the KHL, and because I have such opportunities. We’ll see where I end. KHL has signed a contract for some of the NHL and Europe is the only league where I could play in the NHL despite the contract. ”

An interesting approach. Can you give a percentage, where you play next season?
    “While I do not know it really well so I think in the head. NHL is certainly paramount, but we need to discuss this at home. But as I said, the KHL is a possibility. ”

Certainly expect that you will be asked for your interviews with managers of the Slavs.
    “We met, but I did not get an offer. Maros knew that I still have a contract in the NHL, so it probably did not address. But I think also the fact that I finished a career at Slovan, because this is my Heart. In the meantime, do not want to end a career, perhaps waiting for me last season in the NHL, but I hope and believe that it will not last season in his career. ”

And when you offer, that official will come, it is possible that the longer you play next season in Slavic?
    “It’s possible, this option also exists. But not really in a very theoretical. I do not know if I Slovan wants. ”

If we say that the season 2012/13 occurs in the Islanders, it’s part of our bold claim?
    “Would it be so, so you can write it. However, there are other ideas, as I would like to address. ”

The Islanders would probably be disappointed, right?
    “Of course. But now I have these things to pass, it’s business and I’ll deal with it according to what is best for me and for my coming. “

It’s a bit tough to read but it’s clear that Visnovsky states he has offers from the two other leagues and hasn’t come to a decision yet. Many on television and on Twitter hailed the trade as a great deal for the Islanders. Could this be why the price tag on Visnovsky we so affordable?

Visnovsky said earlier in the interview that the Ducks let him go for financial reasons and he was informed by GM Bob Murray that he could be moved earlier.

You really did not know that it will be the Islanders?
    “It’s not at all, I just knew that some exchanges about Anaheim and I had the biggest team in average salary. It could be inferred from this that touches me some change. Age-I was one of the oldest players and salary cap simply let go. ”

As for the Islanders, it seems like they would be out of luck if Visnovsky did sign up to play in another country. As far as what has been reported up to this point, the Visnovsky trade was not dependent on him coming to play in New York.
    ****ing fantastic. what a waste of a 2nd round pick if he picks europe.

vCash
    I'm speechless .

vCash
    Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
    Just got off the phone w/ #Isles D Lubomir Visnovsky. Ready to come to camp and play. "This is my first choice, to play for the Islanders."

vCash

Visnovsky may play in the KHL (or Slovakia) rather than report to the Islanders

He has a contract here. He's making 6 million dollars, he's playing here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

vCash
    I love the double standards. Everyone gave Ryan, Selanne, Hiller, Getzlaf and Perry a break for crappy seasons. Visnovsky? Not a chance. "He's done" and so on. I still feel like Lubo can be a #1 defenseman, and finish top six or so in points. He has a fantastic offensive game, and is stellar on the PP.

I for one hopes he remains in the NHL.

vCash
    ^I am with you there. Him being older is probably the main reason for it, and to be fair, he was crap last year. No better than a #4 or 5 really. With that, he should be healthy this year, and he'll be ina contract year with a change of scenary, and hopefully a team that can fight for a playoff spot. I'm not expecting him to come close to his numbers in 10-11 when he legitimately could have won the Norris, but maybe a 40+ point guy who can help out on the PP and move the puck for 22-23 minutes a night. If he can bounceback, I like the move a lot. If we see a bounceback year from Visnovsky, slight improvement from MacDonald and Hamonic, and we see Streit play liek he did int eh 2nd half of last season, than I really really liek our top 4 on D.

With that, Id still like to go after someone liek Jason Garrison

Streit-Hamonic
    Garrison-Visnovsky
    Macdonald-Donovan/De Haan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
    ^I am with you there. Him being older is probably the main reason for it, and to be fair, he was crap last year. No better than a #4 or 5 really. With that, he should be healthy this year, and he'll be ina contract year with a change of scenary, and hopefully a team that can fight for a playoff spot. I'm not expecting him to come close to his numbers in 10-11 when he legitimately could have won the Norris, but maybe a 40+ point guy who can help out on the PP and move the puck for 22-23 minutes a night. If he can bounceback, I like the move a lot. If we see a bounceback year from Visnovsky, slight improvement from MacDonald and Hamonic, and we see Streit play liek he did int eh 2nd half of last season, than I really really liek our top 4 on D.

With that, Id still like to go after someone liek Jason Garrison

Streit-Hamonic
    Garrison-Visnovsky
    Macdonald-Donovan/De Haan
    yes & yes

vCash
    I like that Garth is trying, I dont think he's a bad guy or GM, we won't really know untill until 2015

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    I love the double standards. Everyone gave Ryan, Selanne, Hiller, Getzlaf and Perry a break for crappy seasons. Visnovsky? Not a chance. "He's done" and so on. I still feel like Lubo can be a #1 defenseman, and finish top six or so in points. He has a fantastic offensive game, and is stellar on the PP.

I for one hopes he remains in the NHL.
    Not to mention he was playing with THREE broken fingers and through personal issues connected to the KHL plane crash last season. This guy is ONE year removed from finishing fourth in the Norris trophy voting. It's a good deal.

vCash
    ^You know I ever even though about that plane crash affectinghis play... But its a solid point. Demitra was one of many NHLers on that plane, and Demitra was that team's best player and afellow countryman of Visnovsky (Czech), and they were also former NHL teammate son the LA Kings. Have to imagine those 2 were very close..

vCash
    Anyone else worried about nino

vCash
    ^no

vCash
    ^x2

vCash
    getting off the fourth line will help him greatly and plus he can play in bridgeport this year also

vCash
    I just hope his confidence isn't shot. That's really what's most important. He has a good shot but lets face it, who the hell was setting him up last year?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast