Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Getting Nervous

vCash
    I don't see why we need to trade for Schultz? Our defense is fine... I thought they played great last season. We need a sniper and someone who can quarterback our powerplay. Let's be frank... our team's powerplay hasn't been up to par in quite sometime. I think the missing pieces to the puzzle is a pure sniper and a powerplay quarterback. Not Schultz. In the end its just going to cost the team cap space. I rather put the money into a package in something we truly need.

I know its early, but I am also wondering why we haven't made any moves in the early off season while other Eastern teams improve their roster?

Everyone is forgetting that we signed Kreider late in the season. I think he has potential to be our sniper? Perhaps that's why they haven't made any big moves?

I am going to miss Prust. I think it is a mistake by Sather to lose Prust.

BTW... according to the latest articles he prefers a Canadian team. He'll either be Vancouver or Toronto bound.
    Last edited by NYRFan76; 06-28-2012 at 01:42 PM.

vCash
    We haven't lost Prust yet, he's going to see what offers he gets in free agency---he would have to get more than the 2yr/3.6 mil we offered and even that doesn't garantee he leaves as the Rangers could up their offer.
    Schultz is a free agent, he's only gonna cost money and with an ELC it's not gonna be much more than 3 yrs/5 mil. Or so.

vCash
    Free agency starts July 1st. Only trades are being done and right now the top available players won't be moved till the top free agents sign contracts.

vCash
    Bsi, while they went from 8-1, I feel they over achieved. Theres always the risk of losing on a trade. As Ranger fans we know that, but is this team better then a healthy Pens team. Is it worth waiting while Oilers develop? Their will always be kids coming up, they dont need man size to break into the league any more. They are in position to make 2 very good lines, Im all for it.

Nyrfan and Mr Wiskers, Schultz would make out defense better and allow us to give up everyones favorite whipping boy or erixon. Hes salary sill be 2 years and a cap hit of 3.75, which is max for his type of UFA status, its base salary + plus signing bonus + bonus incentives all maxed to average out at 3.75.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Isca92 View Post
    Bsi, while they went from 8-1, I feel they over achieved. Theres always the risk of losing on a trade. As Ranger fans we know that, but is this team better then a healthy Pens team. Is it worth waiting while Oilers develop? Their will always be kids coming up, they dont need man size to break into the league any more. They are in position to make 2 very good lines, Im all for it.

Nyrfan and Mr Wiskers, Schultz would make out defense better and allow us to give up everyones favorite whipping boy or erixon. Hes salary sill be 2 years and a cap hit of 3.75, which is max for his type of UFA status, its base salary + plus signing bonus + bonus incentives all maxed to average out at 3.75.
    Well, really we don't know yet. The team hasn't completed it's rebuild from within. We've still got holes in it. If Kreider plays like he's projected, and one of Thomas, Yogan, Miller, etc can play next year, as well as Erixxon or McIlrath, we are a better team than last. I just think we'll end up doing what we always have and send some young players away that turn out better than the player we're getting. For once I'd like to see this team stick to it's guns and trust Gordie Clarke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRFan76 View Post
    I don't see why we need to trade for Schultz? Our defense is fine... I thought they played great last season. We need a sniper and someone who can quarterback our powerplay. Let's be frank... our team's powerplay hasn't been up to par in quite sometime. I think the missing pieces to the puzzle is a pure sniper and a powerplay quarterback. Not Schultz. In the end its just going to cost the team cap space. I rather put the money into a package in something we truly need.

I know its early, but I am also wondering why we haven't made any moves in the early off season while other Eastern teams improve their roster?

Everyone is forgetting that we signed Kreider late in the season. I think he has potential to be our sniper? Perhaps that's why they haven't made any big moves?

I am going to miss Prust. I think it is a mistake by Sather to lose Prust.

BTW... according to the latest articles he prefers a Canadian team. He'll either be Vancouver or Toronto bound.
    Our defense is not fine, if the goal is to win a Stanley Cup. Stralman and Del Zotto cannot handle top-4 minutes in a deep playoff run. That was proven this post season, and we played without a 6th defenseman for the most part.

We need Sauer or a comparable replacement to log ~20 minutes in a top 4 role, PLUS another bottom pairing d-man to compliment MDZ.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
    Our defense is not fine, if the goal is to win a Stanley Cup. Stralman and Del Zotto cannot handle top-4 minutes in a deep playoff run. That was proven this post season, and we played without a 6th defenseman for the most part.

We need Sauer or a comparable replacement to log ~20 minutes in a top 4 role, PLUS another bottom pairing d-man to compliment MDZ.
    Agreed that and a guy who can blast the puck from the point....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish View Post

Our top 4 is fine...DelZotto is fine, our bottom 2 is the problem. When you have your top 4 playing 96% of the time they are gonna get tired out, no other team in the league plays 4 defensemen as much as we do. Our bottom pairing has to be capable of giving our top 4 a break from time to time, they can't be out there every second shift, no other team does that. Girardi played 53 minutes one night, and Bickel played 3 because he can't be trusted out there. Meanwhile they're blocking shots and playing against all 4 lines. Our problem doesn't lie in the top 4, it lies in the bottom two D, when the top 4 need a breather the coach can't put them out, and when one of our top 4 takes a penalty it puts even more pressure on them. Girardi, McDonagh and Staal and DelZotto are as good a top 4 as you'll get. We just need them to play less. It's the same old thing, when you are tired you make mistakes and as we got to the end of the NJ series it was very apparent that our top 4 D were tired, and DelZotto had a death in the family which didn't help things either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    Our top 4 is fine...DelZotto is fine, our bottom 2 is the problem. When you have your top 4 playing 96% of the time they are gonna get tired out, no other team in the league plays 4 defensemen as much as we do. Our bottom pairing has to be capable of giving our top 4 a break from time to time, they can't be out there every second shift, no other team does that. Girardi played 53 minutes one night, and Bickel played 3 because he can't be trusted out there. Meanwhile they're blocking shots and playing against all 4 lines. Our problem doesn't lie in the top 4, it lies in the bottom two D, when the top 4 need a breather the coach can't put them out, and when one of our top 4 takes a penalty it puts even more pressure on them. Girardi, McDonagh and Staal and DelZotto are as good a top 4 as you'll get. We just need them to play less. It's the same old thing, when you are tired you make mistakes and as we got to the end of the NJ series it was very apparent that our top 4 D were tired, and DelZotto had a death in the family which didn't help things either.
    I tend to think MDZ is ideally suited for the bottom pairing; don't really view him as solid top 4 defenseman, yet. He had a very nice season though so I don't want to nitpick at all -- your point about 4 quality defenseman is spot on. Clearly, we need a few solid additions. A healthy Sauer would go a long way to resolving our hole.

Ideally, I'd be aggressive in a trade for Keith Yandle (which likely means MDZ would be part of package going the other way). Yandle has a fair-to-attractive contract in terms of both $ and term. He is young, a top-tier PP quarterback, and a U.S. player (doesn't mean a ton to me but does for the NYR apparently). Mcd/Girardi/Staal/Yandle is about as good top 4 unit I can think of.

vCash
    It's purely a depth issue. They have a top-4 group, which can all play 22 mins a night which is what you need. There's offense there too, and more coming, as MDZ and McD will only grow in that area.

That being said, good teams have a bottom pair that can play 18 a night, and the Rangers don't have that.

I know they're not counting on it now, but I believe Sauer will be back in the mix early on. October would put him at 10 months, which has been the term for more severe concussions. That will really help, if that's the way it goes. In reality, Sauer can probably play 20+. It might take a month or two of being back in the lineup to find his game, but you have to figure he gets back before too too long passes.

I think they should look at adding one veteran.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyr1980 View Post
    It's purely a depth issue. They have a top-4 group, which can all play 22 mins a night which is what you need. There's offense there too, and more coming, as MDZ and McD will only grow in that area.

That being said, good teams have a bottom pair that can play 18 a night, and the Rangers don't have that.

I know they're not counting on it now, but I believe Sauer will be back in the mix early on. October would put him at 10 months, which has been the term for more severe concussions. That will really help, if that's the way it goes. In reality, Sauer can probably play 20+. It might take a month or two of being back in the lineup to find his game, but you have to figure he gets back before too too long passes.

I think they should look at adding one veteran.
    If Sauer could play and one of Erixxon or McIlrath could play it would go a long way in helping out the top 4 by giving them a rest every once in a while in a game. DelZotto is good, he just can't play all night and not make mistakes, nobody can, it's a fatigue thing, when you are tired you make poor quick decisions and cheat more than you should, but I agree I'd add a decent vet that can be counted on to play 15-20 a night.

vCash
    I'm hoping that either Erixon or McIlrath can make the jump and play passable minutes. If that happens, and Sauer gets healthy, then I agree Bsi, there is no problem.

But until that happens they need to hedge their bet and sign someone who is an upgrade over Stralman or Bickel. And Eminger and Woywitka are both gone.

vCash
    I am in the opinion that our defense is not fine. We need a better dman who can fire shots from the point and hopefully be a good puck mover. Schultz is that guy. I understand we have a good top 4 but our bottom 2 was pretty bad. Bottom line is we wore down in the playoffs and lost to the devs because of it. A more solid defense and a better powerplay gets us to the cup finals this year.

BTW all reports are Sauer is still pretty bad and people are saying this could be career threatening. We cant go into the season thinking he will give us anything.

I am also not a fan of trading for NAsh because of his high cap number plus the crazy price but an idea that could pop up is Kovie becoming available because of how broke the Devs are. Rangers are flush with cash and not many teams would be willing to pay him 12 mill a year. If he could be had for next to nothing i would jump on it. Yes i know he has issues with this team and some players on it but winning cures everything and Kovie fits our biggest need of a big scoring threat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by commonsense12 View Post
    I am in the opinion that our defense is not fine. We need a better dman who can fire shots from the point and hopefully be a good puck mover. Schultz is that guy. I understand we have a good top 4 but our bottom 2 was pretty bad. Bottom line is we wore down in the playoffs and lost to the devs because of it. A more solid defense and a better powerplay gets us to the cup finals this year.

BTW all reports are Sauer is still pretty bad and people are saying this could be career threatening. We cant go into the season thinking he will give us anything.

I am also not a fan of trading for NAsh because of his high cap number plus the crazy price but an idea that could pop up is Kovie becoming available because of how broke the Devs are. Rangers are flush with cash and not many teams would be willing to pay him 12 mill a year. If he could be had for next to nothing i would jump on it. Yes i know he has issues with this team and some players on it but winning cures everything and Kovie fits our biggest need of a big scoring threat.

I really don't see the devils trading anybody to us let alone Kovi if he is in fact available which I don't think he is. Schultz is def the way to go for our offensive dman.

I really want the rangers to make a run for doan and ryan.
    I believe that would solidify our team for a solid two way hockey team with great offensive potential.

vCash
    I got is halfway stupid idea, how about signing Greg Zanon, last yr. in 56 gms. He had 116 hits/136 blocked shots. I think he would make a perfect 6 or 7th defenseman. Only had 8 pts in those gms but he's a defensive defenseman, shouldn't cost much and would be insurance till Sauer/Erixon is ready to play.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast