Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Getting Nervous

vCash
    5 team list for Justin Schultz.

NYR, Phi, EDM, VAN and EDM are the 5 teams likely to pursue him.

vCash
    As I posted in the other thread if we do indeed trade delzotto to Anahiem then Schultz would be awesome to acquire.

Hags Richards Ryan
    Semin Stephan Callahan (Till Gabs comes back)
    Kreider AA ??
    Mitchell Boyle ??

We would easily have the cap room to get these players with the trades of Dubi and delzotto, a pick and prospect to anahiem for ryan.

Maybe get a 3rd line center and move AA to wing and a grinding hard working 4th line guy to replace prust if we cant sign him. Cap shouldnt be a problem at all.

On D we are looking at

Girardi MCD
    Staal Schultz
    Erixon Stralman

vCash
    Well the only problem with dealing DelZotto and replacing him with Schultz is that this time last year we would have been proclaiming Erixxon as a suitable replacement for a top 4 spot as he was supposed to be the most NHL ready defenseman not playing in the NHL, much the same as Schultz is right now. I think we should sign him, but we gotta keep our top 4 until we see if he can play in the NHL. If he can, and McIrath and Erixxon are good to go too then we can make a move, but I don't think going into next season with only 3 capable NHL defensemen is a good strategy.

vCash
    Erixon and Schultz are completely unproven guys and not only can you not expect either of them to step in and play top-4 minutes right away, but also you can't assume Torts will trust them, and you can't assume either will replace MDZ's production.

Unless they have a proven vet, who can play those minutes and put up the necessary numbers, it's very dangerous to trade MDZ.

vCash
    Trading MDZ in a package for a forward is only creating a new problem for us (even if we somehow sign schultz)

We will definitely have to add some reliable veteran pieces to the defense if we do actually trade MDZ.

Remember guys, what we currently have is working well. We just need to fill in a few small holes. Once you start making huge trades, then things get a little out of whack. That's not to say that the end result won't be better but if we send multiple "core" pieces away, then we obviously need to bring new guys in.

I am not relying on schultz just stepping right in a being a reliable top-4 defense man. Even if he is, we clearly saw at the end of our playoff run that we need more defensive depth. (If we lose MDZ)

---I really want suter but that seems more and more unrealistic and most of you guys seem to be focusing more on offense. (which I can't say I disagree with)

If we could somehow sign Suter and then somehow sign shultz and then somehow pull off the Dubi + MDZ + whatever else for Ryan, then we would be talking... but that's 3 too many "somehows"

vCash
    Schultz can very well come in and be the next Matt Gilroy, I am not sold on him coming in and being a top 4 D right off the bat, same thing with Erixon, he didn't look good at all when he played last season. He was soft on the puck, he was getting tossed around like a rag doll, he needs possibly one more year before he makes it here.

Trading Del Zotto creates a HUGE hole in our defense, we have the BEST top 4 in the league, why do people insist on messing it up for a maybe prospect?

vCash
    NYR1980, Carter was a huge gamble and it failed miserable. They got Jack Johnson and it has worked out, but Im interested in how this plays out for Johnson. Johnson has been the worst player +/- combined over the last 4/5 years at -75 roughly, yet finished as a plus as a CBJ. It may not be the best stat, if a guys on a bad team and has a minus its cause hes out all the time and they ride him (Nash) but when hes on a good team and has a large minus compared to his teammates thats something to worry about. Funny how he leaves and they win. That was a gamble for Lombardi considering the rumors of Carter being a bad teammate (hartnal situation) and a major partier. It worked out cause it gave them 2 solid scoring lines.

If Im Howson, I want a Dubinsky on my team. I would say show up play your game and get your value where I can get something for you at the deadline. Gaustad with no remaining salary got a first, Dubis better then him and has one year left, soncould get more pieces My problem with Dubinsky on this team besides for being slightly overpaid is I feel with him and Cally cannot be on the same line and be relied on to score. They will chip but come playoff time they cant be relied to carry the load when the top line is being shutdown. Paid to much to be a third liner but what fans have grown to love about him others do as well and some better making one expendable and we all now know who the one to get rid off is. I remember when I signed up on here that was always the big arguement Cally or Dubi back then Dubi always had more support.

Howson cant get full value because on the NMC. Nash is going to a contender and no contender is going to give their keepers just because he has to get rid of his. The problem now is does Nash shorten his list because its taking this long or other teams say take it or leave it. I do feel like the team that gets him will get his contracts worth out of him but that will hopefully be seen in a few months (hopefully no lockout).

The problem for the Rangers is strike out while the rest of the division gets better. If Parise stays in division and Ryan or Suter come into the division, thats when Sather may get desperate. If Parise goes west and Suter stays west then Sathers not as desperated.

This is the best part of offseason. I love the speculation of who goes where or any shocker moves of wow didnt see that coming.

vCash
    Isca, I agree that Howson should take a guy like a Dubinsky. He's a tone setter guy who can help a team build an identity, which may be the biggest fault with Columbus, as after 11 years, the whole organization has no identity.

I do feel that even coming off of last season, Dubinsky is slightly overpaid. However, I'm not ready to call him a 3rd liner. Personally, I just feel he had a bad season and that he's a legit 20-30 goal, 50-60 point guy, and that this past season was the aberration, not the norm. I also feel Dubi did a lot of it to himself as I feel he passed up a lot of shots. He only had 140 shots all season. Hard to score 20+ on that number.

Breaking up the top-4 shouldn't be considered. It is a major strength that no other team can match. 2 All-Stars already, and the scary part is that the other two guys are better and only stand to improve. I agree that it is the leagues best top-4.

vCash
    Honestly I'd like to see this management not panic and stand pat for the most part. I like our forwards, and replacing Fedotenko with Thomas or Miller will make them much better along with having Kreider for a year and Hagelin and Stepan with some time under their belts might be more consistant. Dubinsky, Boyle and Anisimov should be able to contribute more, and if all that happens I think we're a better team anyway, maybe add a Whitney or Sullivan for depth and PP. The only spot I'd like to see some help is the bottom pair d, and maybe McIlrath or Erixxon is ready, but I'm not sure, for that reason I think we should add another depth D and hope one of those guys is ready, or maybe Schultz if we can sign him. I'd much rather continue the way we are going, I personally think we already added our "top 6 guy" in Kreider, he'll be much better with the experience he gained this year. I really think DelZotto is about to become our top all around D man, he was much stronger on the puck last year and while McDonagh looked great, he doesn't seem to have the offensive side of the game that DelZotto has, just yet anyway.

vCash
    what do you guys think ???

delzotto/anisimov/thomas/1st/3rd for ryan

dubi /richards /ryan
    krieder /stepan /callahan
    hagelin /boyle /brodziak
    rupp /konopka/ moen
    (gabby)

Girardi /Staal
    Mcdonaugh /Schultz
    Erixon / Bickell

sauer/mcilrath/stralman

signing brodziak,schultz,konopka,moen

that can all definitly happen, and i'd be fine with that lineup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    Honestly I'd like to see this management not panic and stand pat for the most part. I like our forwards, and replacing Fedotenko with Thomas or Miller will make them much better along with having Kreider for a year and Hagelin and Stepan with some time under their belts might be more consistant. Dubinsky, Boyle and Anisimov should be able to contribute more, and if all that happens I think we're a better team anyway, maybe add a Whitney or Sullivan for depth and PP. The only spot I'd like to see some help is the bottom pair d, and maybe McIlrath or Erixxon is ready, but I'm not sure, for that reason I think we should add another depth D and hope one of those guys is ready, or maybe Schultz if we can sign him. I'd much rather continue the way we are going, I personally think we already added our "top 6 guy" in Kreider, he'll be much better with the experience he gained this year. I really think DelZotto is about to become our top all around D man, he was much stronger on the puck last year and while McDonagh looked great, he doesn't seem to have the offensive side of the game that DelZotto has, just yet anyway.
    Agreed lets not go into full panic mode!

We werent that far away from it all last year lets tweak it not go into full change mode.

vCash
    NYR1980, its not that I think Dubi is a third line player but I dont think him and Cally can play on the second line together, due to the lack of pure scoring ability. Plus with Kreider and Hagelin he gets slotted to the third with a healthy Gabs.

Bsi, I forget which beat writer but believe it was Andrew Gross, said Gordie thinks both Thomas and Mcilrath both need a full year in the AHL. Saturday will be telling, if Parise ends up in Pitt and Philly turns around and trades for Ryan, I dont think our top 6 would be strong enough with to compete.

vCash
    I guess my problem is that we went from 8th to first in one year, 2nd overall and we've added Kreider and have the chance to add some more pieces internally. I'm just worried that a big trade might put us back a step, as it seems most are willing to part with key pieces such as DelZotto to land a big fish. I don't think we're far off, and I do think we have the pieces already to become successful, it just might not happen overnight. But what we did last year was a huge leap in terms of progress especially considering we made it to the third round. If we had finished 8th again, I'd be all for making some big moves, but we finished first in the East, and made it to the Eastern Conference finals in what was thought to be one of the toughest divisions in the league and we had the worst schedule in the East by far starting with our trip overseas. It seems like this group bonded and came so far in a year, I just wonder what could happen with a couple more of our young players and with another year of this team together, and maybe a vet or two thrown in for depth. Also, as many would guess I wouldn't be taking Fedotenko, Eminger or Stralman back, and I'd only take Bickel if he's gonna be back and forth between the AHL and here as an enforcer because he can't keep up with the play, his quickness isn't there. Mitchell I don't mind as he's ok on faceoffs, but if someone were to take his spot it wouldn't bother me either.
    Last edited by bsi; 06-26-2012 at 06:01 PM.

vCash
    Isca, I think That's a valid. You need at least one premium offensive guy each on your top 2 lines.

It didn't work early on last season, but I really like Dubi with Gabs and Richards. He's just the kind of player who fits with a play making center and a sniper. But at this point, guys like Kreider or Hags probably do get slotted in front of him.

To tell you the truth, the best way to get the most out of Dubinsky would likely be to play him with a big, two-way center, but the Rangers don't have that guy.

vCash
    Again, there are a number of guys available that fit the needs of this team. Moreover, this is a desirable destination, and the assets are likely there to make a deal without taking too much off the roster, provided they make the right deal.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast