Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Nervous

vCash
    There is nothing to be nervous about. A lot of deals centering around Ryan and Nash will hinge upon where guys like Parise and Semin land.

However, the Rangers still have the advantage IMO at least with Nash, as Nash has a full NMC, the Rangers are on his list, and they actually have the assets to get him, as well as the money (real dollars) to pay him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyr1980 View Post
    There is nothing to be nervous about. A lot of deals centering around Ryan and Nash will hinge upon where guys like Parise and Semin land.

However, the Rangers still have the advantage IMO at least with Nash, as Nash has a full NMC, the Rangers are on his list, and they actually have the assets to get him, as well as the money (real dollars) to pay him.
    I agree they're in great shape

vCash

re

Sather is smart , he knows howson has to deal nash before july 1st .. otherwise teams will go in another direction , includeing the rangers .. see nash next week being ours , the rangers are on his list of teams.. and he doesnt like the flyers so u can forget about them.. howson is a tool , if he doesnt trade him and loses him for nothing he will get fired.. passing on forsberg in the draft was stupid too .. especially when ur going to be loseing nash.. man im glad howson isnt our gm..

vCash
    Howson should have already lost his job. He has had zero success in Columbus, he's continued their MO up to now of poor drafting/player development, and now his franchise wants out.

Their ownership group is crazy to be trusting him with a task of this magnitude.

vCash
    If you're already getting nervous, then I think the rest of us should pool some money together and send you on a vacation w/o any internet.

-We are fine. Even if we do not get Nash or Ryan (I'm not even considering Parise anymore) I still wouldn't worry. Sather, torts, and co. need to make a few small moves and we should be right back where we were last year.

Add a defensive piece (it doesn't have to be one of the big fish), add a top 6 forward (I can see Nash coming, but if we get any other big name player, I think it will be someone who we haven't heard about yet) and, if prust leaves, fill in our 4th line.

The off-season JUST started. There is plenty of time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by J4KOP99 View Post
    If you're already getting nervous, then I think the rest of us should pool some money together and send you on a vacation w/o any internet.

-We are fine. Even if we do not get Nash or Ryan (I'm not even considering Parise anymore) I still wouldn't worry. Sather, torts, and co. need to make a few small moves and we should be right back where we were last year.

Add a defensive piece (it doesn't have to be one of the big fish), add a top 6 forward (I can see Nash coming, but if we get any other big name player, I think it will be someone who we haven't heard about yet) and, if prust leaves, fill in our 4th line.

The off-season JUST started. There is plenty of time.
    Yeah I'm getting nervous because other teams are getting stronger and we are standing pat. I have a hard time believing our king can have the same kind of season again where we ride on his back all year. Last year was his best year and though I would love for him to have a better one this year he might not.

Carolina got better, Pitts got better, Flyers will improve, Ottawa is gonna be good again, even Florida is something to worry about now. We need to be able to score goals and we were what almost last last year.

Its been said that scoring was our main priority this off season and I know we will do something but it gets me nervous hearing ryan is interested in the flyers and howson is demanding a kings ransom.

You said yourself the rangers are gonna get a top six forward in your post. Well if its for Nash as you said then we are going to be giving up some major pieces to get him. Our team should be in multiple rumors at this point, not just for nash and ryan. We will be losing a stud D man if that trade happens, probably a second line center, and maybe even another player. So yeah I think we should all be a little nervous.

We all just want our club to be great again next season, I guess I am just a big time fan as I follow the rangers everyday even during the off season.

vCash
    I agree there is a definite need to add another premium forward, and to do so without compromising major pieces that they couldn't replace.

However, with players like Ryan and Nash, who have asked for a trade and thus must be moved, the longer that plays out, the more advantageous it is for the team trying to acquire them.

Prices move down, GM's get desperate, and other teams fall out of the running due to impatience.

And again, Nash has limited his teams options for three reasons:
    1) Full NMC with only 6 or 7 teams viewed as ok destinations.
    2) High cost in assets, real money, and cap space limits the number as well as lots of teams wont commit.
    3) No matter what they say, I don't believe they trade him in the division.

vCash
    nyr1980, you are right--Nash is basically forcing his way here for all the reasons you mentioned and I don't think we will be giving up anything more than MDZ,Dubinsky, a prospect or 2 and picks. Just don't see us giving up a core player--we'd be back where we started from if we did. Though I'd prefer Ryan-NJ boy,makes 2 mil. Less.

vCash
    I'd be ok with Ryan. Price might be higher with him though on terms of a core piece. ANA supposedly would want a young, but established defenseman they can plug in for 20+ mins a night right away. That would likely mean MDZ.

I don't feel like they can give up a top-4 man.

Now while a superstar like Nash usually requires a top-4 Dman, Columbus being in a complete rebuild might mean they take a guy like Erixon or McIlrath, a future top-4 guy, but not so right now.

vCash
    What shocks me most is that Howson failed to make deal at the draft, missing his chance to add picks from this years draft.

Again, another reason why that guy shouldn't have a job.
    He's charged with rebuilding a team, and you do that with prospects and picks. He had the number 2, but flips 3 picks for Bobrovsky? Makes no sense.

Honestly, an offer of Dubinsky, a first, plus Erixon and Miller is a nice deal for them.
    It would have given them another 1st this year, plus two recent 1st rounders who project as a top-4 defenseman and a top-6 forward respectively within the next couple of years. It's not like they win anything in that time frame anyway, so why not take solid young assets that project very well and can have time to develop.

And in the case of Erixon, all reports indicate that he's a very safe bet as a top-4.

Dubinsky could also have likely been immediately flipped for another pick or two.

Again, bad job by Howson. I think he's missed his chance at best possible return.

vCash
    Lets not forget though guys that they dont have to trade Nash if they really don't want to. Now that would be a really stupid idea if they didn't but you never know with howson still at the helm.

vCash
    That's true. They're not OBLIGATED to trade him. But they essentially MUST move him. Anytime a player of Nash's caliber and importance asks for a trade, it's something that has to happen. Period.

You get as much as you can, cut your losses, and move on.

vCash
    Nyr1980, I agree Ryan will be as costly as Nash. I also think Dubinsky could have easily been flipped for a first considering Gaustad got one. Which helps the rebuild, sure he likes to call it reshaping but its far from that. I agree he cant go to a team in division and I believe they cant risk talking to a team not on the list and have Nash say no.

What shocks me is Howson still has a job. I think the trade has to be respectable like Staal and Schenn/JVR trades but he wants to get the moon. While he says he doesnt need to trade Nash, I feel he has to. I dont believe Nash would pull act like a baby stuck there he may not give his 100 percent. Thats gonna be an awkard situation in the locker room. Would you want that attitude of things are going nowhere here around your young players in the locker room.

Ownership is in a tough spot here. If they fire Howson then the next GM has to get rid of the face of the franchise, any time something went arong it would be his fault cause he got rid of Nash. Does Howson know thats going to be when he is fired and hopes if he gets the moon for Nash and can safe face. Then well see if ownership is as awful as Howson.

vCash
    We should have our picks 1-6 rd. next yr.(we traded 7th rd. for Scott) plus 2 extra 3rd rd. picks (Wolski trade and Nash. Switched this yr. for next) in a year where (the commentators kept saying is gonna be a better draft than this yr. and deeper draft with better talent)there will be better players.

vCash
    Isca, I agree. It's a total rebuild for them. When you finish last in the league, miss the playoffs for the 10th time in 11 seasons, and trade the face of your franchise, you're rebuilding.

Howson probably only still has a job is because he got someone to take Jeff Carter's contract, and managed to get Jack Johnson and a 1st. That alone probably saved his job.

But that alone proves how he missed the boat with Nash. He got a nice return on Carter because he didn't wait. He shopped the guy, fielded the offers, picked the best one, and took it. If he waited, no way he lands a puck mover like Johnson.

And it's even harder with Nash and his contract/NMC. Fewer teams he'll go to, fewer teams they can trade with.

Allegedly, Howson turned down a deal of Dubinsky, Erixon, Miller, Thomas, and a 1st.
    That's exactly the deal you take under the circumstances. 3 prospects with nice upside, an established top-6 forward, and a 1st is a nice boost to re-building. I doubt he got a better offer.

Moreover, being over a barrel, probably means no one offered an elite prospect like a Kreider or Schenn. Hard to get that kind of player when everyone knows you've no choice but to move the guy.

His window for best possible return is closed, IMO.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast