Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Laughton needs the time in the AHL. No need to rush him on the fourth line.

Don't let Couturier make you greedy. Most players who are rookies are unable to handle that role. Laughton will be up in due time.
    Couturier will be the next Jordan Staal. His Potential is the best on the team for sure imo.
    You guys are forgetting that we traded for Matt Ford remember? The guy should be ready for a NHL role this year

lol bryz

vCash
    Being that I'm a hockey noob my first reaction when I saw the headline was disappointment because I really liked JVR, but at the same time I don't really know anything about Schenn.

From what I'm seeing in here so far it doesn't seem to be that bad of a move. Can anyone throw down a quick scouting report on Schenn?
    PHILLIES EAGLES FLYERS SIXERS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claude28Giroux View Post
    Couturier will be the next Jordan Staal. His Potential is the best on the team for sure imo.
    You guys are forgetting that we traded for Matt Ford remember? The guy should be ready for a NHL role this year
    We have too many quality forwards and were still thinking about adding more...
    Voracek needs to go next, hes going to want a similar contract that JVR got because he has produced more in the same time frame in the league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbendz View Post
    Being that I'm a hockey noob my first reaction when I saw the headline was disappointment because I really liked JVR, but at the same time I don't really know anything about Schenn.

From what I'm seeing in here so far it doesn't seem to be that bad of a move. Can anyone throw down a quick scouting report on Schenn?
    Schenn's kind of polarizing. The upside is that he's a really good shot blocker, stay at home defender and is very very physical. He'll pin you into the boards without thinking twice. The downside is that he is somewhat slow on the footwork and his reads are wrong at times. He gets out of position.

What has to be remembered is this: is while everyone will tell you JVR is a power forward, and they take a while to develop, so does being a shut down defensemen. If they can get L.Schenn to stay into position, he's a near ideal linemate for Matty Carle. This will allow Carle to do what he does best (breakout passes, pinch, set up goals) while Schenn (shot blocking, physical, stay at home) does the dirty work.

Schenn's got number 1 defense pairing upside. Just as JVR has 30 goal upside.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    If we want Ryan or Nash, we would have to give up possibly two players and picks. Are they worth it? Best case scenario may be to add depth to the forwards or sign a fa

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    If we want Ryan or Nash, we would have to give up possibly two players and picks. Are they worth it? Best case scenario may be to add depth to the forwards or sign a fa
    we don't have enough to give for nash or ryan anymore IMO without giving up Schenn/Couts, and now that Luke's here i don't see any way in hell they trade Brayden. that just wouldn't be right.

there may be a slight chance they push for Parise on July 1, but outside of that, maybe bring Jagr back....

i don't know. it really does put an interesting spin on things.

vCash
    Hey Flyer fans just coming over from the Leafs thread.

What should we expect from JVR? I mean... don't bash him be honest hahaha.

Anyways, I think it's a good deal for both teams. Schenn will do well under Laviolette you can count on it.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    The ceiling for Schenn is a number 1 shut down d-man imo, and the ceiling for JVR is a 35 goal scorer. What's the more coveted of those 2? Clearly its d-man they are much harder to come by than forwards. That's why I like this trade. Part of me thinks people are disappointed because Homer didn't commit highway robbery again some trades are going to be even for both teams people.

vCash
    Schenn is very simple. Stay at home guy. He won't lead the NHL in points for a D man but he is reliable for the most part. He struggled last year consistency wise for us but hey we did was Wilson as a coach.

He was just not a fit. He should do well under you guys with Pronger mentoring him.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Schenn's kind of polarizing. The upside is that he's a really good shot blocker, stay at home defender and is very very physical. He'll pin you into the boards without thinking twice. The downside is that he is somewhat slow on the footwork and his reads are wrong at times. He gets out of position.

What has to be remembered is this: is while everyone will tell you JVR is a power forward, and they take a while to develop, so does being a shut down defensemen. If they can get L.Schenn to stay into position, he's a near ideal linemate for Matty Carle. This will allow Carle to do what he does best (breakout passes, pinch, set up goals) while Schenn (shot blocking, physical, stay at home) does the dirty work.

Schenn's got number 1 defense pairing upside. Just as JVR has 30 goal upside.
    So basically we traded a high upside offensive player for a high upside defensive player, which was our biggest need. Good enough for me. Still kinda sucks to see JVR go, especially if he blows up in Toronto, but Schenn sounds like he'll fit in nicely here. I imagine that as long as Schenn plays up to his potential this will be a good trade regardless of what JVR does.
    PHILLIES EAGLES FLYERS SIXERS

vCash
    Tried My hand at a CapGeek Roster. Instead of the 70.3mil cap they have I used a 66.3

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
    C28G Flyer 2012-13 Line-Up Thought
    FORWARDS
    Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Zach Parise ($6.500m)
    Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Danny Briere ($6.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m)
    Matt Read ($0.900m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Jakub Voracek ($3.000m)
    Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Ben Holmstrom ($0.805m)
    DEFENSEMEN
    Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
    Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Erik Gustafsson ($0.900m)
    Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
    Andreas Lilja ($0.738m) /
    GOALTENDERS
    Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
    Martin Biron ($0.875m)
    ------
    CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $66,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,332,500; BONUSES: $2,705,000
    CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $1,967,500

lol bryz

vCash
    So what do you guys think^

lol bryz

vCash
    Honestly, I just don't see us getting Parise. It would be awesome though. Sign Biron, and a defenseman+forward in free agent.

vCash
    Can Schenn play on the power play? It would be great to have a good right handed shot on the point for the pp

City of Brotherly Love

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    Honestly, I just don't see us getting Parise. It would be awesome though. Sign Biron, and a defenseman+forward in free agent.
    Yea i made a line-up of what I think Is the best we can do in the off-season, that wouldnt blow up the team or hurt the chemistry that much.

lol bryz

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast