Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

JVR traded to TOR for Luke Schenn

Breaking News!!!! Toronto trades Luke Schenn to Flyers for James Van RiemsDyk. Done deal. #TSN
    -Dreger
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Schenn will thrive on your team imo.

Just gotta hope his skating picks up and he starts taking better reads (I'm sure Pronger will help him immensely).

Tell me about JVR, what kind of game does he play? I watch the occasional Flyers game, but never really payed any attention to him

vCash
    I'll miss JVR

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blujaysrock View Post
    Schenn will thrive on your team imo.

Just gotta hope his skating picks up and he starts taking better reads (I'm sure Pronger will help him immensely).

Tell me about JVR, what kind of game does he play? I watch the occasional Flyers game, but never really payed any attention to him
    He's a power forward, but more in the Bobby Ryan power forward and less in the Hartnell power forward mold. He doesn't score "dirty" goals. He can take over a game, but he can also disappear for months on end.

I think he's a potential 30-35 goal scoring, 60 point forward. Really good player, but honestly, you're going to get some overhyped answers here, so watch out. I think people think he's the next great power forward. In my mind, he's going to be really good, but that's kind of where the buck stops.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    I feel like we shoulda got more than just Schenn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    He's a power forward, but more in the Bobby Ryan power forward and less in the Hartnell power forward mold. He doesn't score "dirty" goals. He can take over a game, but he can also disappear for months on end.

I think he's a potential 30-35 goal scoring, 60 point forward. Really good player, but honestly, you're going to get some overhyped answers here, so watch out. I think people think he's the next great power forward. In my mind, he's going to be really good, but that's kind of where the buck stops.
    Thanks

I guess the same can be said about Schenn. some will say he's the second coming of Adam Foote, but watching him he's really struggled the last few years. He's been slow as molasses and takes horrible reads/angles on plays. Still young and for sure has room to grow. I seriously think he'll thrive with you guys.

What to expect next year, I would just say a physical D who will probably lead the league in hits for D and block over 100 shots. Never played well on our PK, but could just be our system on that one, since no one plays well on our PK. He can't shoot worth a lick, but he's a solid defensive defenseman who will be a top 4 D down the road. Type of physical guy who will be fun to watch, especially in the playoffs.

You guys will like him for sure (just be warned of his footspeed, he's pretty slow), but then again, he could fix that somewhat this offseason if he slimmed down a little.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrap2 View Post
    I feel like we shoulda got more than just Schenn.
    And this is where the overhype starts.

As much as we as Flyers fans hate to admit it....exactly what has JVR done in the NHL thus far? He's had one season above 40 points. Sure he's been hurt. Sure, he's young. But realistically, what has he done?

Going on potential, sure, he's got potential. But so does Luke Schenn. We're not very far removed when 20 year old Luke Schenn was the next shutdown defensemen in the league. And that talent certainly still resides in Schenn.

It's a fair deal here. The Leafs got a potential 70 point power forward who hasn't tapped fully into his potential. The Flyers got a potential number 1 shut down defensemen who hasn't tapped fully into his potential.

I loved JVR. I loved his potential. But it's also time to realize we just got a really high ceiling defensemen.
    #WhyNot?

vCash
    We could've gotten Schenn for so much cheaper in my mind. Like seriously? JVR was in talks for a Ryan, Nash type of deal and we come along with Schenn?

This better lead to a Parise signing.

This is why I watch soccer.

vCash
    well they did it.

i'm with some others in here. i think they might have been able to get at least a pick as well with Schenn.

but hey, we got the right-handed, physical defenseman we wanted.

doesn't really save much cap space, i think about $650,000 for the Flyers.

we'll see if this leads to the Flyers pushing hard for Parise, and what it means for Carle.

vCash
    I hope this means we go after Parise or are still somehow involved in the Ryan/Nash sweepstakes (preferably Ryan, younger, cheaper, just as productive) or maybe even Alex Semin? This is interesting. I feel like supplementary offense is our biggest need now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy553 View Post
    I hope this means we go after Parise or are still somehow involved in the Ryan/Nash sweepstakes (preferably Ryan, younger, cheaper, just as productive) or maybe even Alex Semin? This is interesting. I feel like supplementary offense is our biggest need now.
    I still don't think that's true. Our best hockey, which was played in March and early April, then into the Pens series.....was played without JVR.

I think that's why this trade is fine. We proved last year JVR was an ancillary piece on this team. Schenn, however, could become our best defender in a years time.
    #WhyNot?

vCash
    one other great thing about it: the Schenn brothers really couldn't be happier at the moment.

let's now hope that both stick around and really bring the best out of each other on the ice.

vCash
    I think this move is more of a Pronger-done for sure type of thing, more than a not-signing Carle type of thing.

But let's be real here. We kept JVRs for JVRs pot, and now we have a guy on defense with just as a high as pot.

And our offense is still pretty deep.

This is why I watch soccer.

vCash
    True btw JVR was never going to fetch Ryan or Nash. They we're both clearly asking for JVR and Schenner or JVR and Couts. Way too much in my opinion. Would that price have come down in time possibly but when you have a chance to get a guy that could turn into a shut down guy and is 22 you have to do it. I still think they need a true sniper though a young one too. Hartnell is getting up there and will be UFA soon. Giroux is more of a play maker he needs a sniper.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I still don't think that's true. Our best hockey, which was played in March and early April, then into the Pens series.....was played without JVR.

I think that's why this trade is fine. We proved last year JVR was an ancillary piece on this team. Schenn, however, could become our best defender in a years time.
    that may be true, but the fact of the matter is, regardless of how he was playing, he was still regarded as a threat.

so you need to replace that type of talent in your lineup. as of right now, their forwards are:

Hartnell - Giroux - Simmonds

Voracek - Briere - Schenn

Talbot - Couturier - Read

Rinaldo - Holmstrom - Wellwood

not that that is a terrible lineup, but adding a guy like Parise makes them pretty lethal.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast